Mega-DVFG

Large-scale game on a world map, with major and minor powers. Created and GMd by asudevil.

Moderator: Morg

Re: Mega-DVFG

Postby attitudes » 07 Jan 2015, 08:52

AardvarkArmy wrote:
anaupr wrote:
asudevil wrote:Minor powers control will not be anonymous

Why not? Now that it has been mentioned, it kind of makes sense, but im fine either way.

I raised the idea, so let me put it to rest. Blind bids in 1933 were a lot of fun, but in fairness, it was a smaller game. This would require a lot of extra work from the GM's: specifically, 18 individual private messages every year informing players what they own, plus tighter proof-reading since there would be no public scrutiny to catch mistakes.

I kinda regret having mentioned it at all, and have to respect the limits to the GM's workload in a game with 195 centers to account for. I can definitely live with the compromise of keeping the margin of bidding victories unknown...

The secret will come out soon enough, like in a day or two, so I might as well say it now. I have created a website specifically for this game where each of the players will login and submit their IP bids as well as receive their player report detailing the minor powers they control and the IP count for the controlling power as well as their own individual IP count for each minor power.

There will be no mass PM of the IP results nor an in-thread post, although asudevil might put one together for the general public following the game.

It would be easy enough to modify the website so that the controlling power was not known but ASU decided for this game that he didn't want to do that. A case could be made for too much paranoia and with 18 majors and 24 minors, it could simply be overwhelming not knowing anything about who controls the minor powers. It could be awesome; or it could be total chaos. I think not revealing the low bids for the minor powers is a fine middle ground that provides intrigue and strategy without leaving the players completely in the fog. Speaking of fog, how about Fog of War on this map. Forget I said that. :twisted:

The other aspect of not knowing who controls the minor powers is the victory condition currently set at 90 centers which includes all the major power centers plus all of the minor power centers currently controlled by him. If the players didn't know who controlled the minor powers, then you would never know if somebody was getting close to victory. Maybe that's a good thing; maybe not. Just depends on the type of game you want to play.

And, I think asudevil's original count of 195 centers might have been a typo because we are both only counting 185 on the current map.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby VGhost » 07 Jan 2015, 16:14

I didn't take any part in the initial discussion as I wasn't originally intending to play, but while knowing control seems like a good middle ground between information deprivation and information overload, I'm not sure about showing winning bids but not other bids - I'd think it should be both or neither.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (901)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AardvarkArmy » 07 Jan 2015, 17:25

So, explain to M again what's wrong with fostering paranoia?
Lol!

Sorry I opened this 11th hour can of worms... Maybe we can plan round 2"in 2016 with secret bids... And fog of war!

Lol!

On another point, since Italy is just a minor power, will "I Love Italy's" head explode during the initial country assignments?
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1066
All-game rating: 1575

Postby glacier777 » 07 Jan 2015, 18:05

I thinkwe have the right setup. I was in the 1930's game and loved secret MP's but it could get too hectic here. Remember how many messages you will be sending anyway. If we reveal all bids including supporting bids then alliances will be obvious. Supporting a bid is a good way to help your ally.
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby asudevil » 07 Jan 2015, 18:37

GhostEcho wrote:I didn't take any part in the initial discussion as I wasn't originally intending to play, but while knowing control seems like a good middle ground between information deprivation and information overload, I'm not sure about showing winning bids but not other bids - I'd think it should be both or neither.

The reason to show winning bids is so that the chasers know where they have to get too...but the leaders paranoia is still there.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby VGhost » 07 Jan 2015, 19:41

asudevil wrote:
GhostEcho wrote:I didn't take any part in the initial discussion as I wasn't originally intending to play, but while knowing control seems like a good middle ground between information deprivation and information overload, I'm not sure about showing winning bids but not other bids - I'd think it should be both or neither.

The reason to show winning bids is so that the chasers know where they have to get too...but the leaders paranoia is still there.

Ah, but shouldn't everyone have to be equally paranoid? :twisted:

Your call, of course. If things are already set I don't think it's going to be a big deal.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (901)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 07 Jan 2015, 19:43

GhostEcho wrote:
asudevil wrote:

Ah, but shouldn't everyone have to be equally paranoid? :twisted:

Your call, of course. If things are already set I don't think it's going to be a big deal.

Attitudes and I went under the theory of .... They have the advantage of controlling the minor...they lose the advantage of knowing by how much....

And the flip side is the trailers don't have control....but know what they need to get there
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby I Love Italy » 08 Jan 2015, 01:53

AardvarkArmy wrote:On another point, since Italy is just a minor power, will "I Love Italy's" head explode during the initial country assignments?

It already has. You are talking to the cyborg being formerly known as I Love Italy. Beep.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby AardvarkArmy » 08 Jan 2015, 07:37

Is everyone else dying of suspense right now? :roll:
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1066
All-game rating: 1575

Postby I Love Italy » 08 Jan 2015, 07:55

AardvarkArmy wrote:Is everyone else dying of suspense right now? :roll:

I would be if I wasn't a cyborg.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy