Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy NEEDS ONE MORE

Game with 5 'countries' plus 3 advisors able to work for any nation. Devised by lordelindel and GMd by asudevil. Winner Zarazoga {pjkon)

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 5/8

Postby Aeschines » 09 Nov 2014, 07:52

asudevil wrote:
lordelindel wrote:
OPTIONAL RULE: WAZIR-GENERALS
  • If a Wazir leaves their Prince for any reason (voluntarily or not) SCs captured by the Wazir-General's unit remains under the control of the Wazir

I think if the Wazir was arrested, they should not be able to keep their unit...if they are arrested they didn't see it coming, so they were arrested for "treason" and their unit would return to the prince I would think

That is a good thought. I think that is a change I will likely make.

asudevil wrote:
lordelindel wrote:
    -If the Wazir becomes a free-agent the Wazir-General retains control of their generaled-unit so long as the Wazir has at least 1 SC
    -If a Wazir-General joins a different Prince's court any territory controlled by the Wazir-General is transferred to the new Prince (i.e. counts towards that Prince's SC total and allows that Prince to build additional units)
  • A Wazir-General cannot build any units
    -The Wazir-General continues to control their unit (and that unit continues to count against whichever Prince they work for's unit total) until that unit is destroyed, the Wazir runs out of SCs (and is a free-agent), or they voluntarily give up command (and cede that unit and all their territory to whatever Prince they currently work for)

Ok, so all of this brings up a TON of questions...there would be more units than SC's under this theory since the SC that the Wazir captured would be added to the new Prince (letting him build more units)...BUT also he is still count against the original prince? What if the old prince captures the old SC's that the Wazir had captured...What if the Wazir goes neutral...what color do the SC's become.

There would never be more units than SCs. The Wazir and his territory would always be counted for (and against) the Prince for whom she currently works. So if the Wazir controls 1 unit and 2 SCs the Prince she works for would gain a total of +1 SCs (2 SCs - 1 unit). Once a Wazir leaves the employ of a Prince that Prince would cease supporting the upkeep of the Wazir's unit but also lose the lands the Wazir controlled.

So, if a Wazir controls 1 unit and 2 centers and works for the Taifa of Badajoz the Prince of Badajoz can afford to keep up 1 additional unit. However, if that Wazir leaves Badajoz and goes to Granada she takes her unit and her lands with her. So now the Prince of Badajoz has 2 fewer SCs that are "his" but only 1 fewer unit (since he no longer must pay for the unit commanded by the Wazir). The Prince of Granada now gains the 2 SCs worth of land but must pay for the upkeep of the Wazir's unit. If the Prince of Badajoz captures one of the Wazir's SCs from the Prince of Granada he gains the SC as normal and the Prince of Granada loses it as normal.

Additionally, based on the rules you suggested above the Wazir could never become a free-agent with land because when they were arrested (the only way to become a free agent) they would lose their command and their territory. BUT if I don't end up making that change a "neutral" free agent Wazir would control territory in a different color than any of the Prince's - essentially she would hold that land as a regular player, with the exception that she could only have have 1 unit.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1487)
All-game rating: (1639)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 09 Nov 2014, 15:58

So a Wazir who changes teams keeps his army...and can't get a SECOND army from the new prince...he always gets just the one.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Aeschines » 09 Nov 2014, 17:01

asudevil wrote:So a Wazir who changes teams keeps his army...and can't get a SECOND army from the new prince...he always gets just the one.

Exactly. A Wazir-General can only every have 1 army at most. And the cost of "supporting" that army is paid by whichever Prince he works for. So, if a Prince has 2 SCs and 2 units and hires a Wazir-General in the fall (who has 1 unit but 0 SCs) that Prince would have to destroy one of his (now) 3 units.

If the Prince chose to he could choose to destroy the unit generaled by the Wazir and immediately gain all the territory 'owned' by the Wazir, making the land exclusively the Prince's and changing the Wazir-General to a regular Wazir.
Aeschines

Postby fijikilo0 » 09 Nov 2014, 17:25

This got a lot more complicated than before...
Fee-G-Key-Low-(zero) Can ya pronounce it now?
Participant in Untitled/progressive story thread.
Indonesia in Far East Asia game A:Survivor with 1 SC
Peru in World Influence(First major power eliminated)
Before a backstab, be sure the blade can sever the tough spine.
Quitting (again)
fijikilo0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (951)

Postby jakofipa » 09 Nov 2014, 17:53

I think the General rule sounds interesting, and shouldn't be too hard to initiate.

To become a general do both Wazir and Prince have to say something; ie the prince says Wazir Jakofipa promote to general of A Andalusia? And the Wazir says, become general of Andalusia?
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1022)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Aeschines » 09 Nov 2014, 18:39

fijikilo0 wrote:This got a lot more complicated than before...

jakofipa wrote:I think the General rule sounds interesting, and shouldn't be too hard to initiate.

I figured I'd check to see if (us) players wanted to use the rule. fijikilo0, do you think it would be too complex to add in?

jakofipa wrote:To become a general do both Wazir and Prince have to say something; ie the prince says Wazir Jakofipa promote to general of A Andalusia? And the Wazir says, become general of Andalusia?

No, the Wazir can be appointed general without having to take any affirmative action. The turn that they were appointed general they still issue orders as a regular Wazir, the appointment is resolved at the end of the turn.
Aeschines

Postby fijikilo0 » 09 Nov 2014, 18:50

I dont know i have only been skimming these past few updates. I will have to read the rules again and read the proposed changes.
Fee-G-Key-Low-(zero) Can ya pronounce it now?
Participant in Untitled/progressive story thread.
Indonesia in Far East Asia game A:Survivor with 1 SC
Peru in World Influence(First major power eliminated)
Before a backstab, be sure the blade can sever the tough spine.
Quitting (again)
fijikilo0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (951)

Postby BGG » 11 Nov 2014, 01:10

lordelindel has directed my attention to what appears to be a variant of quite an interesting type. I may be able to play it with the longer deadlines, but more details on just how much of a time commitment it would be are very welcome. Could anyone enlighten me on this particular aspect of the game?
BGG

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (938)

Postby asudevil » 11 Nov 2014, 01:41

Totally depends on how well you play so how long you last.

Most years will take about 10-12 days (assuming we go 3/1/1). So most games run at least 7-10 years so...somewhere between 2 and like 4 months....but it could go longer or shorter for you depending on how well you are doing.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby BGG » 11 Nov 2014, 01:47

Alright. Are 7/3/3 deadlines out of the question?
BGG

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (938)

PreviousNext

Return to Al-Andalus Diplomacy [1 Game]