Introduction of new(ish) player: Collie!

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Introduction of new(ish) player: Collie!

Postby CollieWood » 27 Jun 2019, 08:19

Hello there!

My name is Collie, I first played Diplomacy in a Highschool History class and recently gotten back in, playing a lot and netting me a couple solos!

I am from Canada, and enjoy Strategy and Role-playing games. Diplomacy tends to scratch both itches for me, when I take up a certain role in a game I like to stick with it to the very end. still playing as charismatically and strategically as possible of course.

I haven't posted in forums for a long time either, and some of the more recent examples have left me wanting. hopefully a relatively niche interest like Diplomacy will give me enough of a community to connect with. Feel free to drop a PM at me, I love talking with anyone who reaches out.

Welp, anyway, Good luck and have fun in all of your future games, I hope to stab first!
CollieWood

Re: Introduction of new(ish) player: Collie!

Postby Phlegmatic » 27 Jun 2019, 14:10

Welcome aboard Collie, good luck and hopefully we'll meet in a game soon :D
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1214
All-game rating: 1254
Timezone: GMT

Postby TheCraw » 27 Jun 2019, 18:07

Hello and Welcome "CollieWood"

The best place to familiarize yourself with how to play Diplomacy via the website is the Rules/New Players section. I recommend reading through all the tabs, even if you know all about playing the board game, the website can be different, especially the variants.

Many of the most helpful bits of information for a new player are in the PlayDip Academy sub-forum. Where many of the links to rules, guidelines, mentored games and such can be found.

A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.
(Like using more than one account, or teaming up with a friend to clean up in games.)

The best way to then get comfortable is to join a NON-ranked game. (Abominable failure is the best teacher!) We also have started having games involving 6 new players, and one "Seasoned Mentor" to help teach new players the proper methods of inserting sharp implements into each-other's backs. Details of this are here.

Once you have your sea-legs so to speak, look for games posted in the Games Forum, especially password games, it limits the players to those who are serious.

You might also look into signing up for a Premium Account. You may then engage in more than three games simultaneously, and participate in the numerous variations (Winter 1900, Build Anywhere, Fleet-in-Rome, Age Of Empires, Ancient Mediterranean, Milan-Italy, Chaos, Anonymous, Gunboat, Public Press Only, Fog-Of-War, et al). You would also enjoy the advantages of being able to participate in “Live Games”, Premium discussion boards and the “Premium Lounge” (wherein cookies and milk are thoughtfully provided) and the benefits of being provided with detailed statistics about one’s style of play.

All this, for the paltry sum of $25 a year. Y'can't beat that with a stick.

Sincerely,
The Craw!

Please find attached your complimentary avatar: Image
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 28 Jun 2019, 08:43

The Craw welcome!! :D
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby TheCraw » 28 Jun 2019, 19:30

sinnybee wrote:The Craw welcome!! :D

The Sinnybee thanks!! :D
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Players & Introductions