Greetings, you can call me Pete

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Greetings, you can call me Pete

Postby Pete the Great » 10 Mar 2019, 05:05

Hello everyone. It is hard to believe I have been here a month already. I have held off writing this post while I looked for some of my old Diplomacy stuff, as memory fogs with age. I used to play Dip by mail back in the 80's and remember having several entertaining conversations with Conrad von Metzke when I subscribed to his zine. I also met Bruce Lindsay at Brux Con/Tomato Con. I also found my old issue of Diplomacy World where I placed 2nd in the Xenogogic XXth Anniversary Essay Contest behind Mark Berch who took first. To younger folks these names are likely meaningless, but for those well read in Diplomacy lore or those who have been around a while, they are early pioneers in our hobby. I have been absent from Diplomacy for over 30 years and three career changes, but it is nice to be back. I have already met several nice people and look forward to making new friends in the years to come.

A little about myself, I am a native of upstate NY, where I live with my wife and our occasional home from college son. I grow garlic as a hobby farm when I am not working my regular job and cut a little firewood on the side as well. I enjoy hiking and backpacking. In 2017 I hiked rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon with some of the members of our Scout Troop covering roughly 52 miles and around 23,000 feet in total elevation changes. At my age that was a great accomplishment. Reading through the online stuff I think I am best described as a "care bear" at this stage of my life, so gain my trust and your set, unless of course I get cantankerous in my old age.

I look forward to meeting many of you in our online environment!
Pete the Great

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1057
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Greetings, you can call me Pete

Postby Shyvve » 10 Mar 2019, 05:10

Hey Pete,

What a great bit of biography! I look forward to a game with you.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1337
All-game rating: 1369
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby The SHIV » 10 Mar 2019, 16:50

And now from my evil twin :twisted: .........Welcome! I look forward to kicking your .......I mean, you kicking my .......anyway, I look forward to a game at some point. ;)

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1118

Postby Pete the Great » 11 Mar 2019, 03:38

It's a pleasure to meet you both, hopefully we run into one another at some point.
Pete the Great

Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1057

Return to Players & Introductions