The WDC PlayDip Collective

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

The WDC PlayDip Collective

Postby Pootleflump » 08 Oct 2018, 00:13

They've boated.
They've tanked
They've solo'd. they've drawn, they've negotiated for 6 hours at a time.........

A big round of applause for.........

Your WDC PlayDip Collective......

(room explodes in rapturous aopplause)

group2.jpg
group2.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
Pootleflump

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

Re: The WDC PlayDip Collective

Postby Big Gun » 08 Oct 2018, 00:15

PlayDip participants at the World Diplomacy Championship in Washington D.C. 5th – 7th October 2018

From left to right (back row)

Alex Ronke – NoPunIn10did
Michael Topczewski – asudevil
Günther Bedson – Big Gun
Jonathan Frank– GhostEcho
Jordon Connors – Conq
Rachael Storey – kimpossible
Clemente Jayne – nanooktheskimo
Noah Hess – Peazful
Chris Helwig – Aeschines
Paul Hess – idea2go

From left to right (front row – kneeling)

Douglas Rintoul – FloridaMan
Pat Kelly – Springbutt46
Rob Cienki – FunStyle

Missing from the photograph but also present at the WDC were

Eric Grinnell – StarMonkey
Jamie Woodbury – sinnybee
Real name unknown – IvarGizteb
Big Gun
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1468)
All-game rating: (2298)

Postby Aurelin » 08 Oct 2018, 00:20

Who’s the kid?
Silver Classicist
Aurelin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1016)
All-game rating: (985)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pootleflump » 08 Oct 2018, 00:42

That's Noah Hess!
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby Aurelin » 08 Oct 2018, 01:03

Oh, so his dad was there. Makes sense.

Is he the 12 year old DQ mentioned?

Everything I can find about kids at Diplomacy tournaments involve their parents being into the game as well. There’s nothing about a kid with no connections to the game going to play by themself.
Silver Classicist
Aurelin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1016)
All-game rating: (985)

Postby IvarGizteb » 08 Oct 2018, 02:19

Hey guys! My real name is Ravi- didn’t realize there was a picture going on or I would’ve gotten in it!

I played with surprisingly few PlayDippers- probably because most of you guys dropped the Friday evening round while I had to drop the Friday morning round. It was a pleasure meeting those of you I did meet- think I got about half of you guys. The PlayDippers I did play with:

Board 3 I was Turkey to sinnybee/Jaime’s Italy
Board 4 I was France to starmonkey/Eric’s Germany and FunStyle/Rob’s Russia
Board 5 I was Italy to peazful/Noah’s France.
IvarGizteb
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1528
All-game rating: 1597

Postby Fatmo » 08 Oct 2018, 02:46

Pootle, on behalf of everyone at WDC and all of us who were following along, I’d like to thank you for basically being Mission Control and getting all these updates and pictures to us more or less live and being a good hype-woman. You’ll make it to a tournament when you can!

Aurelia1 wrote:Oh, so his dad was there. Makes sense.

Is he the 12 year old DQ mentioned?

Everything I can find about kids at Diplomacy tournaments involve their parents being into the game as well. There’s nothing about a kid with no connections to the game going to play by themself.

I mean, this kind of makes sense logistically. First of all, for kids that young, it’s hard to imagine randomly stumbling into awareness of this game and actually getting into it without their parents or some adult they know showing it to them.

But some kids do stumble into the game. However, it’s far easier to play online than to get to a tournament, even more so if you have to travel to it. Not that many kids are going to travel to something like this without their parents or a similar adult figure.

We’ve had lots of kids find the game and play here. I think we actually had a nine year old that played at least a couple of games.

I myself was introduced to the game at about 12, but it was by an adult I knew tangentially and that didn’t live near me. I never forgot about the game, but there really wasn’t any way for me to play a full game. I didn’t really know about face to face tournament or house game stuff or PBEM, and playdip wasnt a thing. My parents bought me the board game but I never got enough people for a real game, and it wasn’t really their kind of thing, though my dad indulged me a few times and tried to play with me. Took about another 10 or 11 years to find this site.

Even after I was here, there wasn’t really the effort to bridge or combine the f2f and online communities like we have now. For a while, I was trying to find info about how/where to play face to face, but info was hard to find. It always felt like the f2f community just talked among themselves and I had no idea how to find more information.

So yea, doesn’t at all surprise me that you can’t find info about kids getting into the tournament scene. But now that people have spent the last few years trying to bring the various dip communities together, it’s more likely than ever before that a younger person might stumble into the game and get into it online. Maybe they hear/see that there’s a tournament in their home city and can basically just ask their parents for a ride.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Nanook » 08 Oct 2018, 02:55

There’s on FtFer, Jorge Zhang, from Chicago, that’s played since he was like...14, I think, and as far as I know neither of his parents are players. Siobhan Nolen has been playing since about then too, I think. So it’s possible. Probably more common for kids that play to be playing because their parents introduced them, and certainly for kids that travel to events to be traveling with their parents (for obvious reasons).
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Nanook » 08 Oct 2018, 03:00

Also not shown in that picture—Lebigmac/Steve Cooley, who recently won the PDET.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Big Gun » 08 Oct 2018, 05:35

Also not in this picture is Frenchie07001 (Pierre Khawaja) who I believe only played on Friday
Big Gun
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1468)
All-game rating: (2298)

Next

Return to Players & Introductions