G'day From WA

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

G'day From WA

Postby Adamski » 07 Aug 2018, 16:03

Hi all, I'm Adam, an Englishman living in Perth, Western Australia. Joined the site a while ago, but have only just signed up for my first game, which is waiting to start. I haven't played since some games FTF at High School (I'm 53 now!), apart from one game using the DPJudge, and am looking forward to it, especially getting into character, which is half the fun I think. So hope to meet some of you across a virtual board sometime! Because of my Timezone here in the most isolated city on the planet and difficulty getting online during the day I'll prob have to go for games with longer deadlines, but that also allows more time for........diplomacy!
Adamski

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (982)
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: G'day From WA

Postby WarSmith » 07 Aug 2018, 16:14

Welcome! Hope to see you in a game soon.
Checkout the diplomacy podcast run by Amby (who is also active on here) you may actually find the odd F2F game down-under!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby NJLonghorn » 07 Aug 2018, 20:06

Welcome, Adam! I prefer games with short deadlines so I probably won't come across you in a game, but my story is similar. I played a ton of Diplomacy as a teen, and didn't play against until about 10 months ago when I signed up here. I'm 49 now.

Adamski wrote: ... the most isolated city on the planet ...

I'm not sure why, but I find this claim interesting. I suppose it depends on your definition of both "isolated" and "city". To me, the definition should require a city to have a certain minimum population x, and could include just the city itself, or the entire metro area. Then, isolation would be judged based on distance to the next-nearest city of population y, with y<<x. Depending on how you set these criteria, you'd get different answers.

By just about any measure, Anchorage and Perth are comparably remote, but Anchorage wins imho. Perth is just 100 miles or so away from Bunbury, population 75k. In contrast, Anchorage is 350 miles form Fairbanks, population 30k. To get to a true city, the distance from Anchorage to Vancouver and from Perth to Adelaide are roughly the same, but Vancouver is less than half the size of Adelaide.

But Anchorage is relatively small (population 300k, metro area 400k). If you require a population of 500k or more, you eliminate Anchorage as well as Honolulu itself, but the Honolulu metro areas is still in play. But is Honolulu "remote"? It isn't all that far from Hilo, HI, which has a population of 43k. Does this rule Honolulu out of being "isolated"? If so, Bunbury would seem to eliminate Perth. If not, the next-nearest city is San Francisco, over 3k miles away, so Honolulu wins hands down.

If you require a population of 1 million, Perth's case is much stronger. The only other city I can think of is Auckland, but Wellington NZ has a population over 400k so it's hard to argue that Auckland is truly isolated.

There are probably some cities in Russia I don't know about that would be able to stake a claim to the "most isolated" title as well. Maybe Reykjavík, too.

And then of course there is McMurdo Station in Antarctica, but I don't think that counts as a "city" by any reasonable definition.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Adamski » 08 Aug 2018, 06:20

Hi there. Not sure where the isolation claim comes from, I didn't come up with it! Native Perthites, rather than immigrants such as myself, have a great sense of "us v them" as regards the rest of Australia (the Eastern States), which partly explains it. I certainly don't feel out of the way here really, it's a beautiful city with everything you need. But it is a bloody long way to drive to get anywhere other than our own SW region, with its wineries and breweries.
Adamski

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (982)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby willie23 » 08 Aug 2018, 06:37

Don’t mind NJ Adam, he is glad to have you here as well. And welcome to PlayDiplomacy! Always glad to have new guys and I agree with you: the role play is half the fun, if not more! My favorite is Kaiser Wilhelm II but I’ll play as the Czar too. I’ve actually started some historically accurate WWI games where you MUST play in character so check out the PlayDip Historical Society! We might be starting another game up soon.

Regards,
Willie
“Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible;”— General T. J. Jackson

Bronze Member of the Classicists
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23

Standard rating: 968
All-game rating: 975
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby The Red Sphinx » 08 Aug 2018, 06:47

NJLonghorn wrote:Welcome, Adam! I prefer games with short deadlines so I probably won't come across you in a game, but my story is similar. I played a ton of Diplomacy as a teen, and didn't play against until about 10 months ago when I signed up here. I'm 49 now.

Adamski wrote: ... the most isolated city on the planet ...

By just about any measure, Anchorage and Perth are comparably remote, but Anchorage wins imho. Perth is just 100 miles or so away from Bunbury, population 75k. In contrast, Anchorage is 350 miles form Fairbanks, population 30k. To get to a true city, the distance from Anchorage to Vancouver and from Perth to Adelaide are roughly the same, but Vancouver is less than half the size of Adelaide.

But Anchorage is relatively small (population 300k, metro area 400k). If you require a population of 500k or more, you eliminate Anchorage as well as Honolulu itself, but the Honolulu metro areas is still in play. But is Honolulu "remote"? It isn't all that far from Hilo, HI, which has a population of 43k. Does this rule Honolulu out of being "isolated"? If so, Bunbury would seem to eliminate Perth. If not, the next-nearest city is San Francisco, over 3k miles away, so Honolulu wins hands down.

If you require a population of 1 million, Perth's case is much stronger. The only other city I can think of is Auckland, but Wellington NZ has a population over 400k so it's hard to argue that Auckland is truly .

The question is purely academic, but really there is no way any reasonable person would count Bunbury as a city. I’d say a fair few Australians would also rate Adelaide as nothing more than a large country town as well.

Perth and people from WA like to carry a fair chip on their shoulder about us east coasters, (don’t bring up the GST, for example).

No doubt distance wise however, Hawaii is far more isolated, but are there multiple cities in Hawaii? Because that would rule everyon one of them out entirely anyway.
The Red Sphinx

Standard rating: (1292)
All-game rating: (1287)
Timezone: GMT+10

Return to Players & Introductions