Hey there, hi there, ho there!

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Hey there, hi there, ho there!

Postby TheNonnyMoose » 25 Mar 2018, 20:18

So I'm brand new to all this. I've never played Diplomacy before (though I'm planning on getting the board game soon). I've been spending the past few days watching tutorial videos and reading up on the rules and strategy. I can't wait to try my first game!

Um. I don't know what else goes into an introduction post. I love math and ukuleles. I like cooking and difficult video games, even though I'm bad at both of them. I'm really into stories of intrigue, strategy, politics, and betrayal - which is why I'm so interested in Diplomacy - and I'm also a total sucker for animation.

So... Hi. :D
TheNonnyMoose

Re: Hey there, hi there, ho there!

Postby V » 25 Mar 2018, 20:38

Hi & Welcome,

A word of warning, a long long time ago I was 11 at Christmas time, receiving the Diplomacy board game & looking forward to my first ever game. I’m retired now... It’s a bit addictive.
The mentor games are great as a starter, or jump straight in with friendly folks to be encountered around a Diplomacy board. Nobody ever engages in falsehoods:-)

Enjoy
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1670
All-game rating: 1695
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Pootleflump » 25 Mar 2018, 20:53

Hey there NMoose.

A very warm welcome and hello. *waves*

Your name suggests a fellow Scot??!! Woooo hooooo.

This game is addictive. I got coerced into joining (and playing my first ever game about a year ago) by a friend who wanted to learn the rules. I thought I'd hate it. One game and I was hooked.

V's right. Everyone's lovely and no-one ever lies..... ;)
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1861
All-game rating: 1909
Timezone: GMT

Postby TheCraw » 25 Mar 2018, 22:04

Hello and Welcome "TheNonnyMoose".

The best place to familiarize yourself with how to play Diplomacy via the website is the Rules/New Players section. I recommend reading through all the tabs, even if you know all about playing the board game, the website can be different, especially the variants.

Many of the most helpful bits of information for a new player are in the PlayDip Academy sub-forum. Where many of the links to rules, guidelines, mentored games and such can be found.

A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.
(Like using more than one account, or teaming up with a friend to clean up in games.)

The best way to then get comfortable is to join a NON-ranked game. (Abominable failure is the best teacher!) We also have started having games involving 6 new players, and one "Seasoned Mentor" to help teach new players the proper methods of inserting sharp implements into each-other's backs. Details of this are here.

Once you have your sea-legs so to speak, look for games posted in the Games Forum, especially password games, it limits the players to those who are serious.

You might also look into signing up for a Premium Account. You may then engage in more than three games simultaneously, and participate in the numerous variations (Winter 1900, Build Anywhere, Fleet-in-Rome, Age Of Empires, Ancient Mediterranean, Milan-Italy, Chaos, Anonymous, Gunboat, Public Press Only, Fog-Of-War, et al). You would also enjoy the advantages of being able to participate in “Live Games”, Premium discussion boards and the “Premium Lounge” (wherein cookies and milk are thoughtfully provided) and the benefits of being provided with detailed statistics about one’s style of play.

All this, for the paltry sum of... $25 a year. Y'can't beat that with a stick.

Sincerely,
The Craw!
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby TheNonnyMoose » 25 Mar 2018, 22:47

V wrote:The mentor games are great as a starter, or jump straight in with friendly folks to be encountered around a Diplomacy board. Nobody ever engages in falsehoods:-)

Thanks for the tip! Also, I totally believe you about nobody lying.

Pootleflump wrote:A very warm welcome and hello. *waves*

Your name suggests a fellow Scot??!! Woooo hooooo.

Hi! *waves back*

Sorry to inform you, I'm American. My username is a play on the word "anonymous".

TheCraw wrote:A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.

Thanks for the advice! I think I knew about most of what you posted, but I hadn't heard of the House Rules Page. I'll definitely check it out!
TheNonnyMoose

Return to Players