Hi everyone!

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Hi everyone!

Postby VegaMan » 31 Jul 2013, 00:54

Guess I'll introduce myself:

Name: David
UserName: VegaMan... I picked this up from my nickname I use because I also used to play Street Fighter competitively. The name comes form Vega, whom is my favorite character and MegaMan, whom I was also a big fan of back in the 90's.
Location: I am from Atlanta. I currently live in the Bay Area of California though. I'm trying to escape as fast as I can.
Experience: Learned about diplomacy from my high school history teacher in 1999. We actually played it as a class. I instantly fell in love with the game as it removed the element of luck I always hated in Risk yet allowed for more creativity than chess.

I guess before asudevil hits ctrl+V, I'll go ahead and say that I'm already a premium member, and already read all the rules and am thoroughly familiar with how to play. I'm not new to forums either, so I know how that goes. You guys have the same common sense rules everyone else has.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you all in a game. Preferably, not in the 4 vs 1 messes I've had a spurt of recently.
"Nothing cheaper than something free"
VegaMan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1212)
All-game rating: (1148)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Hi everyone!

Postby asudevil » 31 Jul 2013, 01:06

The Famous Craw Says wrote:Good to see another player wise enough to purchase the Membership most Premium! Stick with me as my witless lack... er, I mean "Loyal Ally", and we shall rule Europe together!

Now that you have a Premium Account. You may engage in more than three games simultaneously, and participate in the numerous variations (Winter 1900, Build Anywhere, Age Of Empires, Chaos, Anonymous, Gunboat, Public Press Only, Fog-Of-War, et al). You can also enjoy the advantages of being able to participate in “Live Games”, Premium discussion boards and the “Premium Lounge” (wherein cookies and milk are thoughtfully provided) and the benefits of being provided with detailed statistics about one’s style of play.

The best place to familiarize yourself with how to play Diplomacy via the website is the Rules/New Players section. I recommend reading through all the tabs, even if you know all about playing the board game, the website can be different, especially the variants.

A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.
(Like using more than one account, or teaming up with a friend to clean up in games.)

The best way to then get comfortable is to join a NON-ranked game. (Abominable failure is the best teacher!) Once you have your sea-legs so to speak, look for games posted in the Games Forum, especially password games, it limits the players to those who are serious.

HA, I have a premium version too...although yes, you also already read stuff...but hey, I can't do an individualized one for EVERYONE.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1383
All-game rating: 1543
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby VegaMan » 31 Jul 2013, 01:28

Well played, sir.... well played.
VegaMan

Postby Petunia » 31 Jul 2013, 01:28

I like this one.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 31 Jul 2013, 01:49

Welcome!
What don't you like about the bay area?
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sock » 31 Jul 2013, 01:50

He already has a higher rating than me.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Standard rating: (1149)
All-game rating: (1212)

Postby TheCraw » 31 Jul 2013, 03:28

asudevil wrote:
The Famous Craw Says wrote:

Um... you DO know that I'm back from hiatus, right? :roll:

Welcome VegaMan!
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)

Postby VegaMan » 31 Jul 2013, 03:48

sinnybee wrote:Welcome!
What don't you like about the bay area?

It's a much much much shorter list to just list what I like....

-View
-Close to Capcom USA HQ

Absolutely nothing else I like about this area. This place is slightly better than Iraq if you ask me.

Sorry sock, I've been ganged up against like 3 or 4 to 1 at the start in about 4 of my games. Otherwise, I would have done better. Honestly though, 1 thing I've learned from playing fighting games is that if you play for points, stats, or to win all the time, you wont be able to play to learn very much shutting down your growth.

Thanks TheCraw!
VegaMan

Postby Petunia » 01 Aug 2013, 20:47

VegaMan wrote:Absolutely nothing else I like about this area. This place is slightly better than Iraq if you ask me.

You're... crazy. Weather, food, entertainment, culture, people, attitude, transportation (BART strike notwithstanding), sports... you prefer Atlanta?
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby TheCraw » 01 Aug 2013, 20:57

Never been to either (well... outside of the Atlanta airport), but I've been to San Jose, LA, and the mountains behind San Bernardino, and I gotta tell yah, I hated Cali.
Hot, dry, & brown. EVERYTHING was brown, the grass, the hills, the air...
And you don't have a car? Just shoot yourself.

Hotlanta's airport was really well designed, with this cool subway system. (that's about all I can say about Atlanta)
Now Savannah... at least the historic district is about the prettiest city I've ever seen.
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)

Next

Return to Players