New to the Forums!

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

New to the Forums!

Postby Aplombination » 29 Jul 2019, 23:30

Hi, I'm Aplombination from central Virginia! Been happily playing some games already but figured I should start getting more involved on the forums. I'm a big fan of 1900 and am looking forward to trying War in the Americas for the first time.
Aplombination
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1018
All-game rating: 1344
Timezone: GMT

Re: New to the Forums!

Postby DipideeDawg » 30 Jul 2019, 04:56

Welcome, Aplombination! And good fortune to you in your games. "1900" is, indeed, a great variant (or the successor to Standard, perhaps).

So, where in Virginia do you live?
-George
DipideeDawg
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1023
All-game rating: 1033
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Aplombination » 30 Jul 2019, 05:25

Hi George,

I greatly enjoyed our game together and I'm glad to see you here too! I've just recently gotten a job in Richmond working on economic development, so I'm searching for an apartment downtown
Aplombination
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1018
All-game rating: 1344
Timezone: GMT

Postby TheCraw » 06 Sep 2019, 23:11

Hello and Welcome "Aplombination"

The best place to familiarize yourself with how to play Diplomacy via the website is the Rules/New Players section. I recommend reading through all the tabs, even if you know all about playing the board game, the website can be different, especially the variants.

Many of the most helpful bits of information for a new player are in the PlayDip Academy sub-forum. Where many of the links to rules, guidelines, mentored games and such can be found.

A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.
(Like using more than one account, or teaming up with a friend to clean up in games.)

The best way to then get comfortable is to join a NON-ranked game. (Abominable failure is the best teacher!) We also have started having games involving 6 new players, and one "Seasoned Mentor" to help teach new players the proper methods of inserting sharp implements into each-other's backs. Details of this are here.

Once you have your sea-legs so to speak, look for games posted in the Games Forum, especially password games, it limits the players to those who are serious.

You might also look into signing up for a Premium Account. You may then engage in more than three games simultaneously, and participate in the numerous variations (Winter 1900, Build Anywhere, Fleet-in-Rome, Age Of Empires, Ancient Mediterranean, Milan-Italy, Chaos, Anonymous, Gunboat, Public Press Only, Fog-Of-War, et al). You would also enjoy the advantages of being able to participate in “Live Games”, Premium discussion boards and the “Premium Lounge” (wherein cookies and milk are thoughtfully provided) and the benefits of being provided with detailed statistics about one’s style of play.

All this, for the paltry sum of $25 a year. Y'can't beat that with a stick.

Sincerely,
The Craw!

Please find attached your complimentary avatar:
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Players & Introductions