Enlightenment and Absolutism-(14/14)

14-player game set at the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession; numerous special rules. Created and GMd by VaeVictus. 3-way draw between Russia (Alupi), Saxony-Poland (Stanislaw) and Spain (Shibabalo)

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(9/14)

Postby Alupi » 12 Jun 2014, 10:21

I would like to play.

Question:
There is a starting fleet in Gibraltar, but there is also the Garrison of Gibraltar.
How is combat evaluated in case these two units stays in Gibraltar?
If two Spanish units attack The Garrison of Gibraltar would the fleet then be able to support the Garrison?
If two Spanish units attack the fleet in Gibraltar would the Garrison of Gibraltar then affect the outcome?
Alupi

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1599)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(9/14)

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jun 2014, 17:29

Alupi wrote:I would like to play.

Welcome to the game!

Alupi wrote:Question:
There is a starting fleet in Gibraltar, but there is also the Garrison of Gibraltar.
How is combat evaluated in case these two units stays in Gibraltar?
If two Spanish units attack The Garrison of Gibraltar would the fleet then be able to support the Garrison?
If two Spanish units attack the fleet in Gibraltar would the Garrison of Gibraltar then affect the outcome?

I think it might be helpful to first distinguish between the Garrison of Gibraltar and the British fleet beginning the game in Gibraltar.
The space of Gibraltar (Gib) is initially controlled by Britain at the start of the game and contains a “garrison.” The Garrison of Gibraltar is not an actual unit that can move or provide support, but it affords the space of Gibraltar a defensive strength of one. In order to capture the space of Gibraltar it is necessary to have an attacking strength of two.
The key to understanding the Garrison of Gibraltar rule is recognizing that it is not an additional unit, but merely a non-supply center space with a defensive strength of 1. In the case of your first question, it is not a matter of two units remaining stationary, but merely what the British fleet is ordered to do. The "garrison" cannot move or provide support to other units since the "garrison" is simply a fancy way of saying that the space of Gibraltar has a defensive strength of 1.

With regard to your second question: a fleet or army of any country in an adjacent space to Gibraltar may provide support to the "garrison" (the space of Gibraltar with a defensive strength of 1) as if it were a regular unit, combining for a defensive strength of 2 ("garrison" defensive strength of 1 with the fleet or army's support). If a British fleet (or army) is occupying Gibraltar when an attack is made upon the space of Gibraltar the British fleet and the "garrison" (the space of Gibraltar with a defensive strength of 1) would combine for a defensive strength of 2 thereby causing a standoff with the two Spanish units.

With regard to your third question: yes, the "garrison" (the space of Gibraltar with a defensive strength of 1) would combine with the British fleet occupying the space of Gibraltar to form a defensive strength of 2. It is possible for this defensive strength of two to occupy one space because the "garrison" is not a unit. Therefore, the only unit is still the British fleet.

Do these responses adequately answer your questions? If not, please feel free to tell me where I need to better explain and I will do my utmost to clarify. As I have said to others, I want this to be a good experience all around and do not mind receiving many questions.
VaeVictis

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(10/14)

Postby Antigonos » 12 Jun 2014, 21:24

Is there any chance of having a more or less full screen map to use in the game? As I am new to playing a Forum game I realize that I may be asking something to which there is a well known answer.

On an utterly non-Enlightenment and Absolutism subject: Has there ever been an attempt to do a Thirty Years War variant especially with this level of complexity and player states? It would be fascinating and if one incorporated phased entry of players with conditions (e.g. Sweden must take territory from Poland if it is to move to Germany) it could be a really extraordinary game.

For anyone interested in history and military history I recommend reading "The Thirty Years War" by Wedgwood (written in 1938 but a classic and a great read) and Peter Wilson's 2009 "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy". An exhaustively well written current comprehensive account with great maps of many battles.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jun 2014, 21:48

Antigonos wrote:Is there any chance of having a more or less full screen map to use in the game? As I am new to playing a Forum game I realize that I may be asking something to which there is a well known answer.

Try clicking on the map once, that usually expands the map to full size on my computer.

Antigonos wrote:On an utterly non-Enlightenment and Absolutism subject: Has there ever been an attempt to do a Thirty Years War variant especially with this level of complexity and player states? It would be fascinating and if one incorporated phased entry of players with conditions (e.g. Sweden must take territory from Poland if it is to move to Germany) it could be a really extraordinary game.

For anyone interested in history and military history I recommend reading "The Thirty Years War" by Wedgwood (written in 1938 but a classic and a great read) and Peter Wilson's 2009 "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy". An exhaustively well written current comprehensive account with great maps of many battles.

I know of two variants (1648 by Charles Feaux de la Croix and 1615 by Matthew Medeiros), though I have never played either one and know relatively little about them. The time periods of the two games dance around the Thirty Years' War, but that almost fits the bill.

I have read Wedgwood and agree it is worthwhile.
VaeVictis

Postby Bob.Durf » 13 Jun 2014, 01:02

Sign me up as well if you'll have me. I've played 1600 and I'm curious how this similar but more complex set up might play out.
Cheater-Hunter (Fired on account of incompetence according to top secret reports)

There's a saying amongst the moderators: "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. If it's not worth doing, give it to Bob." Promotion prospects: Comical
Bob.Durf

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (969)

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(11/14)

Postby VaeVictis » 13 Jun 2014, 07:51

Bob.Durf wrote:Sign me up as well if you'll have me. I've played 1600 and I'm curious how this similar but more complex set up might play out.

Welcome to the game!

We just need three more players, now.
VaeVictis

Postby KingSolomon9 » 18 Jun 2014, 04:01

I'm in if you'll have me. I'll spread the word in another DVFG I'm playing (Royale) and see if anyone is interested in joining.

KingSolomon9
KingSolomon9

Standard rating: (891)
All-game rating: (897)

Postby VaeVictis » 18 Jun 2014, 04:17

KingSolomon9 wrote:I'm in if you'll have me. I'll spread the word in another DVFG I'm playing (Royale) and see if anyone is interested in joining.

KingSolomon9

Welcome to the game! Yes, please spread the word, free advertising is always welcome.
VaeVictis

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(12/14)

Postby McGiles » 21 Jun 2014, 19:00

I'll play. Sign me up!
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand hexadecimal, and F the rest...
McGiles

Standard rating: (943)
All-game rating: (1074)

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(12/14)

Postby dcaibal » 21 Jun 2014, 19:54

I'm up for the game.
First Karma Contributor: Pez

Ottoman Emperor (Not Sultan)- HOTW
Immortal Advisor to the Royal Family of the Union of the Aresian Empire and the Great Patallian Princedom- CYOC
Marty McFly wrote:Wait Doc -you're telling you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean!?

CmndrMaggs wrote:Well f*ck.
x7
dcaibal

Location: I'm a frequent-time-traveler. So try and figure out the wibbly...
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (886)

PreviousNext

Return to Enlightenment and Absolutism {All Maps Visible}