Enlightenment and Absolutism-(14/14)

14-player game set at the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession; numerous special rules. Created and GMd by VaeVictus. 3-way draw between Russia (Alupi), Saxony-Poland (Stanislaw) and Spain (Shibabalo)

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(8/14)

Postby Pedros » 08 Jun 2014, 08:50

Just like to point out that haroonriaz recently soloed a very high quality War in the Americas with 31/61, and the criterion for Colonial is 30/59, which looked recently as though asudevil would make it (in possibly an even higher quality game); sinnybee has claimed in Colonial discussions here that she has at least two Colonial solos on her cv. If you want to play a large game then it's going to take a lot of winning and a long time; that's just how it is!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby simblanco » 09 Jun 2014, 07:07

The game is interesting, and I'd like to try a crowded game. I'm a bit worried about the deadlines. Communicating via forum in 3 days with 14 powers I reckon is impossible. Not that you need to speak with all of them, but I guess that would be the objective. Myself, I'd like something like 4/1/1.

In any case, please put me as reserve for now, then I'll see my games load :)

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk
Silver member of the Classicist
simblanco

Standard rating: (1256)
All-game rating: (1353)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Enlightenment and Absolutism-(7-8/14)

Postby Stanislaw » 10 Jun 2014, 02:38

VaeVictus wrote:Stanislaw and glacier777,

You have convinced me. Part of me still really wants to keep it lower at 19, but I see the wisdom in your suggestions. I will increase the victory conditions to 24 and we will see how things develop during the game. Bindlestiff is spot on with my idea behind the strategy for minor powers against the larger powers. My assumption is that good diplomats at the helm of the minor countries can successfully manipulate circumstances to work in their favor.

I'm very glad you made that change, I believe that's a major improvement that was needed.

In my first colonial game on the forum I came just 3 centers short of a solo, and Asudevil came to within I think 3 as well in the even bigger 1930s World variant as Pedros mentioned, so it is possible to solo even on the big maps.
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby VaeVictis » 10 Jun 2014, 07:49

simblanco wrote:The game is interesting, and I'd like to try a crowded game. I'm a bit worried about the deadlines. Communicating via forum in 3 days with 14 powers I reckon is impossible. Not that you need to speak with all of them, but I guess that would be the objective. Myself, I'd like something like 4/1/1.

In any case, please put me as reserve for now, then I'll see my games load :)

You make a compelling argument about the deadlines. I am very amenable to a 4/1/1 deadline; as the GM, it matters little to me what the deadlines are and is really a matter for the players to decide. If there is a consensus of players desiring to extend the deadlines for orders by one day, I would not be opposed and would implement them.
VaeVictis

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby bindlestiff » 10 Jun 2014, 16:58

4/1/1 works for me.
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1331
All-game rating: 1388
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Shibabalo » 10 Jun 2014, 22:39

4/1/1 works for me too. I also just want to congratulate VaeVictus on a game which appears to be very well thought-out and historically sound.

However, I am a bit nervous that we'll never get the full fourteen people. Do you think it would be possible to play with some of the two-center countries as minor powers (with the bidding process) if we don't get enough, or would that ruin the game?
SOLO- Baltic, Double Diplomacy
Draw- Layered, Dip Lite, 1700, Zeus, Simple, 1900 S&S
Loss- Some games

Classicist, Whippersnapper, Swag Bagel
Shibabalo

Standard rating: (950)
All-game rating: (1222)

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jun 2014, 01:53

Shibabalo wrote:4/1/1 works for me too. I also just want to congratulate VaeVictus on a game which appears to be very well thought-out and historically sound.

Thanks much, I really appreciate that.

Shibabalo wrote:However, I am a bit nervous that we'll never get the full fourteen people. Do you think it would be possible to play with some of the two-center countries as minor powers (with the bidding process) if we don't get enough, or would that ruin the game?

Getting fourteen could prove difficult. I will send out a few more invitations on this site and Stanislaw knows of other groups of PBEM players that I may be able to coax into playing on this site. Otherwise, something akin to your suggestion of major/minor power pairings could prove very doable.
VaeVictis

Postby Antigonos » 12 Jun 2014, 04:21

I only received a PM regarding the game this evening and have done a quick review of the map and rules. The rules are not simple but insofar as they attempt to incorporate historical reality I applaud them. The need to absorb so many abbreviations and write them correctly is somewhat worrying even though I consider myself a careful player who double checks and re-checks orders. The map is impressive (though I wish Swedish Pomerania was present with a Swedish garrison).

All in all this is quite an achievement.

I expect I may have more questions after I spend a bit more time studying the map and rules but for now I have one: If England loses control of Gibraltar for a fall turn and later re-takes it does the Garrison re-activate for England?

I am in six games at this time but am quite interested in signing up. Do you have any sense of when the game would start or is it simply a question of getting the required sign-ups? Once started is there a longer first turn start time period as in regular site games? I realize that most potential players may disagree but I would love to see a 3-2-2 schedule.

If you will take a sign up subject to confirmation (based on having really absorbed the rules and a bit of difficulty starting in the next three days please put me down as signed up.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby Antigonos » 12 Jun 2014, 04:26

I wrote my post and somehow missed the most recent posts. I would support a 4-1-1 schedule.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jun 2014, 09:18

Antigonos wrote:I only received a PM regarding the game this evening and have done a quick review of the map and rules. The rules are not simple but insofar as they attempt to incorporate historical reality I applaud them. The need to absorb so many abbreviations and write them correctly is somewhat worrying even though I consider myself a careful player who double checks and re-checks orders.

I do apologize about the abbreviations, but it did give the map a degree of uniformity and ease for labeling. If you have any questions regarding any space at any time of the game, please do not hesitate to ask me; I love questions.

Antigonos wrote:The map is impressive (though I wish Swedish Pomerania was present with a Swedish garrison).

Thank you. I completely agree with your parenthetical statement, but only so much could be included.

Antigonos wrote:All in all this is quite an achievement.

I expect I may have more questions after I spend a bit more time studying the map and rules but for now I have one: If England loses control of Gibraltar for a fall turn and later re-takes it does the Garrison re-activate for England?

Here is an excerpt from the third bullet point of the Garrison of Gibraltar rule that should answer your question: "However, if the space of Gibraltar is occupied and held until the fall build/adjustments phase, then the Garrison is dissolved and cannot be reestablished even if Gibraltar is retaken by Britain."

Antigonos wrote:I am in six games at this time but am quite interested in signing up. Do you have any sense of when the game would start or is it simply a question of getting the required sign-ups? Once started is there a longer first turn start time period as in regular site games? I realize that most potential players may disagree but I would love to see a 3-2-2 schedule.

If you will take a sign up subject to confirmation (based on having really absorbed the rules and a bit of difficulty starting in the next three days please put me down as signed up.

Usually the game starts shortly after the required number of players is acquired and everyone confirms participation. I do not think the game will start in the next three days and would guess that another week may be necessary at the least before all the spots are taken.

Yes, the first phase for orders (Spring 1741) will be longer. It will probably be 6-7 days with a 4-1-1 deadline taking effect afterwards.

I will put you down as a signup. Welcome to the game!
VaeVictis

PreviousNext

Return to Enlightenment and Absolutism {All Maps Visible}