AAR: 87476. PD Versailles Tournament Game C4

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 87476. PD Versailles Tournament Game C4

Postby sinnybee » 02 Oct 2014, 06:11

Game 87476. PD Versailles Tournament Game C4 is the 26th PDVT game to finish, being the fourth of 8 semifinals / Phase 2 games to finish.

Interesting Shoutbox!

Image Image JonS earned 32 points in game C4: 5way DRAW 14 Italy 15 Egypt 3
Image Image MisterBigBug earned 24 points in game C4: 5way DRAW 14 Britain 9 Sweden 1
Image Image Buachaille earned 19 points in game C4: 5way DRAW 14 USSR 5 Rumania 0
Image Image charliep007 earned 19 points in game C4: 5way DRAW 14 Germany 5 Greece 0
Image Image Pb10gon earned 19 points in game C4: 5way DRAW 14 Poland 4 Czechoslov. 1

Image Image juangrisart earned 0 points in game C4: Turkey 0 Yugoslavia 0
Image Image YohanTM earned 0 points in game C4: France 0 Spain 0

Scores are also listed here.

Congratulations to all 7 players for not surrendering!
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 87476. PD Versailles Tournament Game C4

Postby Buachaille » 02 Oct 2014, 21:54

You're right Sinny, it is an interesting Shoutbox and it probably tells the story of the game better than I can. Some might say it was more interesting than the game itself ;)

For me this was a game of opposites, very frustrating gameplay mitigated by highly affable company. Immediately upon starting I knew from the comms that I was exploring previously unknown territory amongst the dizzy heights of high ranked players but the reality turned out to be a somewhat stodgier version of what I had imagined.

From the start the game was dominated by one unstoppable central alliance and although I called it quickly, ultimately I failed to break it or unite the rest against it. I tried everything I could; staying loyal to Turkey for as long as possible, trying to build trust between Britain and France and persuading them not to attack each other. All the while chipping away at the alliance, presenting new options, pointing out the inequalities, warning of the solo dangers. But none of it seemed to matter, there was a lot of disillusionment. The only thing that appeared to make a difference in the end was actively encouraging Italy to try and get the solo and offering not to defend territories.

Then a switch was flipped. Charlie suddenly became a different person trying to unite the rest of the board against Italy's solo and to my surprise everyone else was up for it. We managed to hold together a four way defence long enough to curb Italy's enthusiasm and despite refusing it once, inevitably the five way seemed like the only option. With the benefit of hindsight I should have pushed Italy to offer me territories paving a safe path to the three way but collectively the will didn't seem to be there for any further play. That would have made the difference to my final placing I think.

Low lights: Me and Poland banging our heads together like stubborn bairns for several years on our mutual border.

High lights: Accusing the alliance of carebear-ism in the PP, immediately being treated to a jpeg of the carebear poster from Charlie's bedroom and each being assigned our own moniker.

Special mention: To Turkey for being a thorough gent when I eventually stabbed him, as his demise became inevitable and to prevent Italy getting all the spoils.

Yours faithfully

Polite Panda
Classicist.
Buachaille

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1635)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pb10gon » 02 Oct 2014, 23:41

I really am sorry for being so horrible to you Bru.
But my highlight from the whole frustrating, never got out of the starting box, game is now you calling me your low point.

I could have done ok in that game had Charlie's not unilaterally decided to take Czech from me at the same point I lost another minor centre. From then on in, all troops banging heads with Russia. Then just when I had finally made the breakthrough we all turned to face Jon down.

Better 5 way than nothing.
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)

Postby Buachaille » 02 Oct 2014, 23:55

You weren't horrible to me Pb. And I don't want to ruin your highlight but it was the situation not the person that I found frustrating.

I had myself to blame too; at a point early on I went to cover a nonexistent stab from Britain when I should have taken Latvia and it cost me year.
Classicist.
Buachaille

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1635)

Postby sinnybee » 15 Oct 2014, 18:04

Interesting how the draw of this game included players who would end up in places 7, 8, and 9.
Congratulations to Pb10gon who made the cut and unfortunate for JonS, the board leader, who didn't manage to scrape together a better result.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby charliep007 » 15 Oct 2014, 18:13

sinnybee wrote:Interesting how the draw of this game included players who would end up in places 7, 8, and 9.
Congratulations to Pb10gon who made the cut and unfortunate for JonS, the board leader, who didn't manage to scrape together a better result.

He had a cast iron 3 way but got greedy :)

It's ok I've slaughtered him in a pm already. Gutted for you Jon you
charliep007

Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)

Postby Pb10gon » 15 Oct 2014, 18:50

no he wouldnt. He would have had to get more points than me & I was still in it.
Oh - yes, sorry. From 5 to 4 means without me, doesn't it.

I'm going home for a good cry knowing now that nobody loves me.

Wouldn't have worked even then. Alvin would have been 7th. Our last D game got 'managed' towards the end to get 2 of us through, 3 was impossible. We had our own maths wizz in poorfool, we worked a result. I would have fallen on my sword the way Alvin did, as necessary. Stout chap.
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs