AAR: 78740. PD Versailles Tournament Game B1

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 78740. PD Versailles Tournament Game B1

Postby sinnybee » 25 May 2014, 07:31

Game 78740. PD Versailles Tournament Game B1 is the sixteenth of 22 PDVT Phase 1 games to finish.

ImageImageMcGiles earned 34 points in game B1: 4way DRAW 20 Italy 8 Spain 6
ImageImagePriestProphetKing (charliepayne007 subbed for last year) earned 34 points in game B1: 4way DRAW 20 USSR 13 Sweden 1
ImageImagesimblanco earned 28 points in game B1: 4way DRAW 20 Turkey 8 Czechoslov. 0
ImageImageJoll_Dizz earned 27 points in game B1: 4way DRAW 20 Germany 7 Egypt 0
ImageImageggriou earned 0 points in game B1: Poland 0 Rumania 0
ImageImageMikePole earned 0 points in game B1: Britain 0 Greece 0
ImageImagenumberwang1 earned 0 points in game B1: France 0 Yugoslavia 0
Their scores are also here.

Congratulations to all 7 players for not surrendering!

Game created 17 March, started 19 March, and finished 23 May.

Unfortunately, PriestProphetKing, simblanco, and Joll_Dizz locked their Phase 1 scores into what probably won't be good enough to get them into Phase 2 (this game result is good news for tournament participants with a 3-way draw and nothing else).
PPK, if you didn't require a sub, would you have done anything differently at the end?
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 78740. PD Versailles Tournament Game B1

Postby numberwang1 » 25 May 2014, 09:33

Italy/Spain got me pretty good :oops: :cry: . Can someone (PPK perhaps?) explain exactly what happened in the early game? I basically got jumped as well as I can remember.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
numberwang1

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1329)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby simblanco » 25 May 2014, 09:59

My game was pretty simple. First time playing Turkey in Versailles, I proposed a juggernaut to USSR. He accepted. The problem was that Italy/Spain was a difficult obstacle and I was growing slowly. On top of that PPKing made his best to keep me as the minor power of the couple, good job from his side!

After his stab I threaten king making in favour of Italy. Then the sub for USSR changed his policy and reformed the alliance (there was talks of Soviet fleets crossing Constantinople and troops going down to Armenia to help the Turks against the fascist aggression of Mussolini! I would have loved to see it ;)).

I must say that I didn't use my minor in the best way, and also failed to take hungary when Italy was supporting me there.

Considering the situation, being included in the draw has been a success for Turkey!

EDIT: the king making threat was serious. I could have prevented USSR to take any centres from me, and so leaving the doors open to Italy. If that would have made Italy to solo or just to reach a 3 way I-G-U, I cannot say!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk
Silver member of the Classicist
simblanco

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1256)
All-game rating: (1353)
Timezone: GMT

Postby McGiles » 25 May 2014, 10:27

numberwang1 wrote:Italy/Spain got me pretty good :oops: :cry: . Can someone (PPK perhaps?) explain exactly what happened in the early game? I basically got jumped as well as I can remember.

What happened was USSR. He grew very quickly early on and there was an early grand alliance against the juggernaut with Britain, Germany, and Italy. However, because France couldn't fight either without going through one of us, it was decided to jump you and gain some units for the fight against the jug. So it was just France's bad positioning against the largest power at the time.

Then from there you can guess what happened with Britain turning on Germany and I, the rough patch between the jug, then the coming rough patch between Germany and I before the draw.

Despite what everyone kept saying to me near the end of the game, I never felt like I had much control over the end game. My units were very spread, and with Spain only being able to build one distant unit at a time the usefulness of my minor would quickly fade. Italy was barely making any progress (even less so once the jug reformed), and Germany's suspicion probably would have made for some hard years for Italy/Spain.

My thoughts are that USSR got the short end of the stick, I feel that he had the best shot at soloing. With a reforged jug and a shaky alliance on the other side (especially when USSR could progress against Germany faster than Turkey against Italy), I strongly feel USSR didn't get the result he should have. However, with my second game going well (I ended up with a 2-way), I felt that I could live with a 4-way draw.

For the record, I was going to stab Germany in fall of the last year played, but then USSR's sub turned on me and changed my mind. So Germany's last turn's move was valid to an extent, but I wasn't going to turn right after USSR stabbed me and I feared his solo.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand hexadecimal, and F the rest...
McGiles

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (943)
All-game rating: (1074)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby PriestProphetKing » 25 May 2014, 22:13

First i want to thank everyone for the wonderful game! Germany made a fine opponent and effectively held me at a standstill for a while in the Baltic. Turkey was a good ally and very forgiving. It was understandable you would threaten king-maker after stabbing you twice.

It is very hard to predict how things would have played out had I not been pulled away with work. However, I would have made a few changes. In the Spring in which I left, i would have taken Bucharest. This would have worked seeing that italy did follow through with his cutting support. I would also have supported Ankara to BS, causing a bounce. This would have left us in the fall with another bounce (me keeping Ankara and now Bucharest) or Turkey could have moved to Ankara and let me take the Black Sea.

Up north that year, I would have done the same and think my sub did a great job. My plan was to take the North Sea, offer up Denmark in the Spring for the advantage of surrounding him with my fleets.

This may have created three enemies; however, Italy was not at that point threatening. I thought with my fleet presence in the north, I could hold off a solo by Italy. It is impossible to tell.

I know for sure that I would not have settled for a four-way. I never do. I would have tried to find a way for a three-way or a solo. (which I thought was possible; however, I can be overconfident at times). I would have died trying for a three-way if it did not work out.

I can not fault my sub. I am grateful that it did not turn into a NMR and it is unfortunate (but a fact of life), that I could not be present to the completion of the game because of my job.

I would love to play any of these individuals in the future and another tournament.

Peace,
PPK
PriestProphetKing

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1050)
All-game rating: (1266)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs