AAR: 80703. PD Versailles Tournament Game B8

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 80703. PD Versailles Tournament Game B8

Postby sinnybee » 15 May 2014, 23:16

Game 80703. PD Versailles Tournament Game B8 is the tenth of 22 PDVT Phase 1 games to finish.

ImageImagecharliepayne007 earned 133 points in game B8: SOLO WIN 110 USSR 19 Egypt 4
ImageImageWagner earned 12 points in game B8: Britain 12 Greece 0
ImageImageBokkiwi earned 5 points in game B8: Germany 5 Rumania 0
ImageImageclindseysmith earned 2 points in game B8: Italy 2 Czechoslov. 0
ImageImagesjg11 earned 1 points in game B8: France 1 Sweden 0
ImageImageGhostEcho earned 0 points in game B8: Turkey 0 Spain 0
ImageImageRicgraz earned 0 points in game B8: Poland 0 Yugoslavia 0
Their scores are also here.

Congratulations to all 7 players for not surrendering!

Game created 20 April (21 Apr in GMT +1), started 21 April, and finished 15 May.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 80703. PD Versailles Tournament Game B8

Postby Bokkiwi » 16 May 2014, 00:20

Congrats on the solo

I need to check that all my strings are intact :D haven't been played that hard for a while
Bokkiwi

Standard rating: (1234)
All-game rating: (1228)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby GhostEcho » 16 May 2014, 02:22

This game pretty much sucked. USSR right out of the gate basically said, "I've got Egypt, cooperate or else." I was planning to play along, because Turkey/USSR seems nearly as viable as the classic Jug, but I didn't have too much time to talk and USSR made that an excuse to attack me.

That being the case - and being short on time - I just made sure I entered moves until I got knocked out. So that's what happened to Turkey. I guess USSR's tactics worked, but he was kind of a jerk in-game.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1013
All-game rating: 981
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 16 May 2014, 02:52

GhostEcho wrote:This game pretty much sucked. USSR right out of the gate basically said, "I've got Egypt, cooperate or else." I was planning to play along, because Turkey/USSR seems nearly as viable as the classic Jug, but I didn't have too much time to talk and USSR made that an excuse to attack me.

That being the case - and being short on time - I just made sure I entered moves until I got knocked out. So that's what happened to Turkey. I guess USSR's tactics worked, but he was kind of a jerk in-game.

Awww, I'm sorry; I'll have to play against charliepayne007 sometime and kick his butt for ya :).
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby charliep007 » 16 May 2014, 07:36

i will write properly a little later, I just want to officially object to being called a jerk by Turkey :lol: the two people who have the right to call me a jerk in this game are Britain and Germany (even Italy has room to call me a jerk), and it is to them who I apologise - especially Britain, though i hope you can see the funny side... as your last message to me was about poor germany getting stabbed...

But Turkey, you were dog awful in this game buddy and got out from it the sum total of what you put in - zilch :-) - perhaps you should sign up to SB's text message version of Dip ;-)

More to follow...
charliep007

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)
Timezone: GMT

Postby GhostEcho » 16 May 2014, 21:36

I'm sorry, "jerk" was perhaps a bit strong. I'm not sure I have a better way to convey the extent to which you seemed hostile from close to the beginning. I'm a fairly low-volume communicator, was busy IRL, and you quickly started badgering me about my minor: it came across as an ultimatum: I've got Egypt, cooperate and I'll let you live.

Yes, I played badly - in my first post I even forgot the part where (being a relative Versailles noob) I forgot Constantinople has an extra border and let Greece take my capital. And I'm not complaining about the result, or your tactics - just mentioning a bit of the Sultan's POV.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1013
All-game rating: 981
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby charliep007 » 16 May 2014, 23:07

The ussr 'jerk' perspective.... (thanks for the apology ghostecho, consider yourself reinstated on the xmas ecard list)

This is the first time I have ever played russia in any form of diplomacy, the one nation I fear the most and seek to see kept under tabs. And I suppose my solo is a good example as to why russia should be kept under lock and key.

though let me say I had to work really hard in the first yr of the game. As I drew egypt as my minor I thought I might as well go for a very blatent russia/turkey/egypt juggernaught. It seemed like a no brainer and forge a good relationship with either france or britain. So I decided id lay my cards on the table and be really open with turkey and hoepfully win his trust. But it seems my efforts were greeted with suspicion and percieved threat I now learn! However, as turkey has said he was busy with other things.. so much so that people thought he was going to nmr. for me and my playing style i struggle to ally with someone who isnt available and can give much time to the game. Thankfully rumania and greece were willing to dive in and turkey was taking a really early bath... probably much to the relief of turkey.

So that took care of turkey. The crazy thing was I found myself going straight to war with poland too... I mean fighting two majors in the first yr is suicide right? Well apparently not... but I felt that Pripyat was too key a territory to risk going polish so I thought id see what would happen when I stepped into it... thankfully poland fell quite easily too.

By this stage I was friendlt with italy, and also in heavy talks with germany and britain. So with no turkey or poland I had to go somewhere... I decided to raid german territory and his rumanian minor. The crazy thing was as I was doing this I figured the board woukd turn on me... but it never really happened. So I just kept on going... though I stopped the attack on germany as I noticed thst italy was growing quite steadily. I was able to do this with britains greek minor and germany joining the party too.

but as this went on I managed to get up t 16 centres. I was still allied with britain and germany, when britain and myself started talking about a two way draw. I went along with it and then did the maths and figured I could pick uo 7 centres in one go... enough for the solo... so thought to myself... why not?! And boom I got them all. Game over.

Over all, apart from britain and germany I was a little disappointed at the lack of negotiating. Britain and germany are good players, though should have done more to keep mr from growing so easily. I think italy did well and was unlucky to not do better.

Im sorry for not sharing a 3 way with britain and germany, but if the door is left wide open then it would be rude not to walk thriugh it.
charliep007

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs