AAR: 79707. PD Versailles Tournament Game B3

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 79707. PD Versailles Tournament Game B3

Postby sinnybee » 14 May 2014, 19:02

Game 79707. PD Versailles Tournament Game B3 is the eighth of 22 PDVT Phase 1 games to finish.

ImageImageThumpington earned 132 points in game B3: SOLO WIN 110 USSR 21 Greece 1
ImageImageMaucat earned 10 points in game B3: France 10 Sweden 0
ImageImagePaxEuropa (Sosui Kurama not authorized to play) (was Sparrowhawk) earned 8 points in game B3: Italy 8 Yugoslavia 0
ImageImagepelagius earned 2 points in game B3: Britain 2 Rumania 0
ImageImageAlmanMEin earned 1 points in game B3: Turkey 1 Spain 0
ImageImageDJDave1979 earned 0 points in game B3: Poland 0 Czechoslov. 0
ImageImagemambam14 earned 0 points in game B3: Germany 0 Egypt 0
Their scores are also here.

The only surrender was by Sparrowhawk. Thanks to PaxEuropa for filling the vacancy, to Sosui Kurama for stepping aside, and to everyone else for sticking it out through the length of the game.

Game created 1 April (2 Apr in GMT +1), started 4 April (5 Apr in GMT +1), and finished 13 May.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 79707. PD Versailles Tournament Game B3

Postby Alman » 15 May 2014, 15:35

This was, to say the least, an interesting game for me. It was the diplomacy equivalent of solitary confinement with Thumpington as the friendly guard who drops by my cell each day to tell me a little of the outside world and give me kind reassurances while still not unlocking and opening the door.

I played against the three-faces of Italy and throughout the whole game received 7 messages from him. The rest of Europe must have had an aversion to Tryptophan because none of them wanted any Turkey all game. It was very sad.

I had gotten excited by the early communication of Russia and had hoped that we could do a Juggernaut Versailles style. Little did I know that Thumpington was planning to do that, just as a one-man-show rather then the duet I was proposing. With Egypt pushing me from the south, Italy controlling Yugoslavia and boxing me in, and Russia not interested in working together, my game was pretty much over from the beginning. Oh, and to not leave out any of the coffin nails, Russia controlled Greece.

Meanwhile, my minor, Spain, was promised the world by France. I had some hope that I would be able to set up some sort of Med axis from both ends, but when France promised Spain he'd see the world, what he had meant was that he was putting Spain on the slow boat to China.

So, I could recount the glorious time I broke out of Turkey to take Thessaly (by retreat after losing Bulgaria) or the huge expansion of actually claiming Syria and Palestine for a brief time.

Late in the game I worked hard to form an anti-leader alliance. This gave me the treat of listening to France and England fight like brothers in the backseat of the car while Russia marched on and on. (Really, did you need to hit Reply All for all that back and forth?) :shock: :roll: :lol:

All through this Russia kept telling me what a nice person I was and how sorry he felt for me. (It was like he was the 10th Doctor "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry") :( 8-)

I would love to play Thumpington again and hope to soon (flak vest ordered and on two-day delivery). He was a fun opponent and if I couldn't win, at least I could watch him play an amazing game. Or at least I could watch him until the Soviet forces blew up the tv station and replaced it with the 24 hour Tovarich channel. Ah well.

So, in conclusion, Turkey being hemmed in by two uncooperative majors who each also had a minor on my borders pretty much doomed me from the start. It was very frustrating and the fact that other than Russia, there wasn't much fun or productive communication that to me is the life-blood of diplomacy made this a forgettable game. So, I'm going to try to forget it (if the nightmares would only stop!).

Congrats Thumpington. You played an awesome game and were a great in-game companion, even if you were the kindly death-row guard. :) Much Respect Sir!

P.S. Thumpington, I'd really love to read an AAR from you on this game! :)
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Alman » 15 May 2014, 18:33

Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)

Postby PaxEuropa » 15 May 2014, 20:11

As the third face of Italy ...

It was fun jumping in the middle of things and figuring out what was going on, coming to the realization that, Yup we are going to get Thumped.
certainly an interesting adventure :)

I am looking forward to the next ...

thanks all around!
PaxEuropa

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1039)

Postby charliep007 » 16 May 2014, 21:18

I clearly wasnt in this game, but I just want to say that almanmein's aar is the funniest aar ive ever read. Pure comedy and astonishing considering you took a hiding from lord thumpington. ?
thanks for taking the time to write it.
charliep007

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs