AAR: 79638. PD Versailles Tournament Game A11

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 79638. PD Versailles Tournament Game A11

Postby sinnybee » 14 May 2014, 18:56

Game 79638. PD Versailles Tournament Game A11 is the sixth of 22 PDVT Phase 1 games to finish.

ImageImagePb10gon earned 45 points in game A11: 3way DRAW 30 Italy 9 Yugoslavia 6
ImageImageAlmanMEin earned 44 points in game A11: 3way DRAW 30 France 13 Sweden 1
ImageImagejimmygrimble earned 44 points in game A11: 3way DRAW 30 Germany 11 Spain 3
ImageImageclindseysmith earned 0 points in game A11: Turkey 0 Rumania 0
ImageImagedeltanu148 earned 0 points in game A11: Poland 0 Greece 0
ImageImageLeo73 earned 0 points in game A11: Britain 0 Czechoslov. 0
ImageImagetbuchman earned 0 points in game A11: USSR 0 Egypt 0
Their scores are also here.

Congratulations to all 7 players for not surrendering!

Game created 31 March, started 3 April, and finished 12 May.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 79638. PD Versailles Tournament Game A11

Postby Pb10gon » 14 May 2014, 21:44

Just so that all players know, this is the way I saw the game go from an Italian perspective.
very good communications with Germany from the start enabled a solid alliance from the beginning. I suggested including France and we agreed to see how the first moves went. France did brilliantly well in the first round and we firmly included him mainly because we did not want to face him. Then he took Munich and the wheels fell off. Some negotiation, grave apologies ensued with an explanation about getting Czech united with its French major. Trust took time to establish, mainly for Germany. They worked together letting me get on with the med. I got trust off everybody and betrayed them in turn stcking with my best buddy Germany and the increasingly entertaining France.
we agreed the equal split of centre's early on and made it happen.

the game went easily to plan once we were firmly together. I can admit that I did propose to Germany that we could do a twosome on the round where France got no builds but Germany firmly said no. I am glad. The three way is enough for me and the level of humour from France in particular made this probably the most entertaining of games I have played.

I wish my allies good fortune in the rest of the tournament and my commiserations to those defeated. You did nothing wrong ad I feel especially for Russia who tried everything

good game.
thank you
pb10gon
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jimmygrimble » 15 May 2014, 08:38

Not really anything to add to that, it's spot on. Italy and I had a solid relationship from the very beginning, and France quickly joined that and looked to throw it away as quickly as he was in on it! As said, grave apologies and we were back in line, although it took me a long time to trust once again.

Our chat throughout the game was spot on. Sharing moves, working for one another to the alliance's benefit rather than our own, and frankly some hilarious conversations. Well played to everyone for sticking with it to the very end - there's no way we would've broken you all down without working as a united front.

All the best to everyone still fighting in the tournament. I'd jump at the chance to have another game with you fine gentlemen.

Germany / jimmygrimble
jimmygrimble
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1159)
All-game rating: (1138)

Postby Alman » 15 May 2014, 16:05

As the party of the third-part in our little musketeers drama, I will echo how fun this game was and what a difference good communication and team-work made.

As has been mentioned, our little three-way friendship almost died before it really got started. As we were first setting things up, I began to feel like the ugly step-sister left home from the ball as Italy and Germany planned out their strategy for quick opening moves while I would have to slowly work my way into England....if I was lucky. Germany controlled Spain so even though they were making friendly noises, I forsaw a future where, after going out together in glorious battle and sharing the builds of war, they would return, realize they didn't need me and carve me up like a Turkey (sorry, flashbacks from my other Tourney game :shock: ) .

So, when a silver-tongued Englishman came calling with flowers and chocolates, I gave in to his blandishments. (Ok, England actually was not silver tongued at all, but rather short and curt in his communication, the flowers were plastic and the chocolate gave me zits). I pictured a quick invasion of Germany that would cripple him, strengthen me and then I would stay allied with Italy and we would go as before. As with any such fling, I realized quickly that I had made a mistake. Germany had guarded himself a bit so my blow was hurtful but not fatal. England was not filling me with confidence as an ally and I put my pride aside and threw myself on the mercy of Germany, with Italy acting as couple's counselor. Germany was MORE than gracious and forgiving and after that there was only one other time when I began to feel that I was not being afforded equal footing and that was quickly corrected without soldiers. 8-) . Italy was the glue that kept together Germany and I as powers who easily conflict. He put the Star in Ambassador!
One of Germany's conditions for my forgiveness and readmittance to the musketeers was that the army that had so callously and thoughtlessly invaded Munich be placed under his command for the next year. The army warmed to his command and seemed to prefer his leadership to mine, protesting any order to return to the homeland. This evolved into the creation of the French Foreign Legion which spent the rest of the game working alongside German and Italian forces to fight against Poland. In a final sign of Germany's great graciousness and forgiveness, the FFL was given the privilege of taking and keeping Krakow.

I want to thank jimmygrimble and Pb10gon for letting me back in and trusting me again after my early stab and for the great way we not only worked together, but the marvelous communication and fun messages. I would be deeply honored to play in a game with you both again anytime! :D :D :D

Late Emendation: My minor was Sweden which, despite desperate diplomacy, was eliminated right off. This helped drive me into the arms of the English as Germany had not saved my child. All was forgiven and we actually had the fun of bringing little Sweden back to end the game with us. Nice touch since my wife is from Sweden and I had home fences to mend! :D
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pb10gon » 19 May 2014, 11:37

Aww shucks. I can feel the blushes rising again.

Anyone probably see the level of communication now and how it was so much fun.

Are you joining the Eliminator or Cup of Nations tournaments? I am. Perhaps I will see you again in this or another tournament. Enjoying this one greatly, even if it is not helping my ranking much.
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)

Postby Alman » 19 May 2014, 17:03

My friend,

There are two men in dark suits that work for Mr Leeds standing behind me to watch how much I discuss said tournament, so all I can say is that I am on the public list of confirmed sign-ups for the tournament and I may or may not have recently received a message from said Mr. Leeds. :? ;)

Perhaps we will meet again on the field of battle without even knowing it. 8-)

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman
Premium Member

Postby Alman » 19 May 2014, 17:05

Pb10gon,

Also, just gotta say, I find myself staring at your avatar, transfixed. :shock: Happens a lot. :shock: There ..it........goes..............agai............................ :shock:

Alman
Premium Member

Postby jimmygrimble » 28 May 2014, 09:39

Hello fellow sirs, I too have thrown my name into the Cup of Nations hat. Hope to see you on the battlefield!
jimmygrimble
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1159)
All-game rating: (1138)

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs