AAR: 80666. PD Versailles Tournament Game B11

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 80666. PD Versailles Tournament Game B11

Postby sinnybee » 11 May 2014, 10:52

Game 80666. PD Versailles Tournament Game B11 is the fifth of 22 PDVT Phase 1 games to finish.

ImageImageMajor B earned 46 points in game B11: 3way DRAW 30 France 15 Czechoslov. 1
ImageImagepoorfool earned 44 points in game B11: 3way DRAW 30 USSR 11 Sweden 3
ImageImagePb10gon earned 43 points in game B11: 3way DRAW 30 Turkey 11 Greece 2
ImageImageBruceSurfcoast earned 0 points in game B11: Britain 0 Spain 0
ImageImageEcallaw earned 0 points in game B11: Poland 0 Egypt 0
ImageImageFDRjr earned 0 points in game B11: Germany 0 Rumania 0
ImageImageQwerty365 earned 0 points in game B11: Italy 0 Yugoslavia 0
Their scores are also here.

Congratulations to all 7 players for not surrendering!

Game created 20 April, started 22 April, and finished 10 May (11 May in GMT +1).
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 80666. PD Versailles Tournament Game B11

Postby poorfool » 11 May 2014, 17:15

game-80666-12-N.png

Just a short USSR+Sweden's point of view chronological report:

I met a Turkey+Greece draw and our juggernaught love was immediate and faithful.
Britain+Spain waived both their 1931 builds and were soon doomed to a small relevance in the game.
France+Czech on the contrary started exceptionally well, but for some reason, instead of distrusting each other, the USSR/Turkey and the France game leaders started as soon as 1932 to discuss about a possible 3-way draw.
My last worry was some sort of Poland + Italy + Germany attack against me before I could establish my frontline.
As Poland attacked Germany and Italy attacked Poland, I knew I was safe and very likely in a 3-way draw.

Last meaningful event probably unkown to Turkey, was the moment USSR and France had quickly reached their 12-13 and Turkey had slowly got to 7.
I made an offer to France for a 2-way draw, which had been his first proposal in the 1932 agreements.
I would have ventured in it if I was convinced by the French answer.
However France declined, I suppose he pondered the risk of me getting the Turkish centers more quickly then he getting the Italians.
A good choice and I didn't press any further, although with the right turn-by-turn agreements I'm sure we could have got there with none of us soloing.
Maybe we were just lazy, feeling the 3-way a good enough reward, and Turkey got his reward as well thanks to this.

Thanks to all the players for their nice game.
And thanks to sinnybee and mr bump for managing the tournament.
I vote for a more frequent update of the Game Information post :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
poorfool

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1273)
All-game rating: (1366)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pb10gon » 11 May 2014, 18:09

Given that we each knew where the A games were heading I am extremely surprised that I got included in the end result. If I had been headed for the out door of the tournament I would have played for the duet or solo. At seven when you were done I figured that I was for the out door. You could see the panic in my messages. How does the weakest partner ask his two much stronger allies to follow his order plans? I thought I really was for the high jump.
Actually. All credit to Italy. He didn't put a foot wrong just got on the wrong side of the alliance. It could just as easily have been Italy France Turkey if I had not stuck with USSR doggedly.
For future reference I now know that Turkey is weak in a Juggernaut because Italy is a much stronger nation in Versaille. I got lucky. Turkey has to go for USSR.
I did not deserve the points. Would gladly have accepted a re-count of say 10 as an end point. A big thank you to my two very honourable allies. I hope to see you again & to learn from the beginner mistake that I do not intend to recount here.
pb10gon
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)
Timezone: GMT

Postby poorfool » 11 May 2014, 19:50

I do not agree that USSR is so much stronger than Turkey in their alliance.
In this game USSR had all the possible helping conditions, Sweden minor, unoffensive Britain and Poland, and nothing less than collaborative Rumania ater being occupied.
Turkey only got Greece as minor but an attentive Italy and an hostile Egypt which is very hindering for Turkey as I have seen in all my Versilles games so far.
poorfool

Standard rating: (1273)
All-game rating: (1366)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Major B » 12 May 2014, 01:41

I cannot help starting with my heartfelt thanks to both of my allies. As has already been mentioned, or collaboration started early and was (in my limited experience for comparison) very strong throughout. I am also quite humbled after the fact to see the high quality of opponents in this tournament (judging by rankings).

I started this game by asking for Britain to partner with me. Italy alerted me to the possibility of seizing Portugal from Spain in the first turn and, although I was suspecting then that it was a ploy to hide that Spain was Italy's ally, I jumped at it and learned soon that Spain was in fact linked to England. At the same time I was talking to Turkey and the next year USSR joined the party. That plus some disagreements over proposed moves convinced me to turn on England.

My decision to join the 3-way alliance was in part influenced by my very fortunate opening and early lead. That may sound counter-intuitive but in my (again limited) experience the early frontrunner never wins. My later decision to not turn on Turkey after he fell behind in SC gains was mostly because I feared that neither Turkey nor Italy would agree to a 2-way draw after being left with just one SC so it came down to a choice to attempt a solo or stick to the agreement. I also had the incentive of our agreement to a 16-14-13 SC split.

Lastly, I agree that Italy's position in Versailles is much stronger than in the original game. Proximity of allies can make a big difference too but now I've seen relative advantages and disadvantages for both near and far minors. I have yet to see a long-term alliance between the USSR and Poland so I think they are foregone enemies. I played USSR once before this tournament and felt very hemmed in. Egypt, Sweden, and Spain are also serious drains on Turkey, Britain, and France respectively. I played the same combination as Qwerty365 in my A game of the tournament and saw the advantages so eliminating Italy was a goal from the turn I realized the link between them. I too give Italy credit for this game because he constantly fended me off with good diplomacy though I'm not sure if he realized it at the time.

Again, thanks to all of the players and for poorfool and Pb10gon, good luck in the rest of the tournament.

Major B
Silver member of The Classicists.
Major B

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1240)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Qwerty365 » 12 May 2014, 11:23

an ok game to be fair, but very much an anti climax

a three way draw seemed the safe option.

even when the net was closing in on me i was hoping that someone would have the gumption to go for a solo or two way win :)

Far too much diplomacy in this game and not enough back stabbing lol

The weirdest moment was Spain/England. A truly bizaare opening when he insisted on tunisia, going agaisnt all logic and sense. He persisted with this doggedly and couldnt see sense and was quickly eliminated. Perhaps a newbie, but a gambit i never saw before and one which doomed him from the beginning
Qwerty365

Standard rating: (1010)
All-game rating: (1135)

Postby Pb10gon » 12 May 2014, 17:46

Everyone agreed that Spain moving on Tunisia was incredible. Spain had to be British for it to make any sense but he did not capitalise on it.
The game was a foregone conclusion from the start - barring the stab which should have happened.

Pb10gon

Postby sinnybee » 14 May 2014, 08:38

Qwerty365 wrote:The weirdest moment was Spain/England. A truly bizaare opening when he insisted on tunisia, going agaisnt all logic and sense. He persisted with this doggedly and couldnt see sense and was quickly eliminated. Perhaps a newbie, but a gambit i never saw before and one which doomed him from the beginning

Fyi, not a newbie at all--BruceSurfcoast has 250 archived games, 36 of which are Versailles. His rating is currently 1035.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Pb10gon » 14 May 2014, 12:01

Then he has played a lot of games recently. Anyone who plays too many games at once just gets confused and fails to give each game the attention it requires.

Pb10gon

Postby GhostEcho » 14 May 2014, 20:24

I think it might be interesting to get England's view - did he think he had a solid alliance with France? Did he think France would be tied up with Germany? Did he as Spain have some reason to think there would be cooperation from Italy/Egypt/Turkey?

Granted I'm not a good player myself, and wasn't involved in this game, but Versailles to me seems such a congested variant that almost any opening could be justified... with the right diplomacy backing it. So finding out what England was thinking seems more interesting (at the very least) than just bashing his play.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs