Rules

Diplomacy plus all the messy family business of Royalty. The relationship status: "it's complicated." Created by John Pitre. GM'ed by EpicDim. Solo Winner: Italy (Marsman57)

Re: Royale (7/7) Reserves Needed

Postby EpicDim » 14 Apr 2014, 23:37

marsman57 wrote:Must all children belong to the same dynasty or can you negotiate a split in issue as part of a marriage contract?

All in the same dynasty per phase. I suppose you could come up with a strange deal that gave control of the birth orders/progeny for a given phase to one or the other without breaking the rules. But the player in charge of the birth order is going to get the progeny since that's how you define who gives the birth orders.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby marsman57 » 14 Apr 2014, 23:46

That's what I expected the answer to be. Thanks.

I'm already considering a lot of nuances. For example, by the rules a woman could marry her son once her husband died if the children were of the other dynasty. LOL

Incidentally though, I can see a lot of cases where someone could have multiple numbers in the same dynasty succession. I'm guessing that's not problematic though.
marsman57

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1118
All-game rating: 1128
Timezone: GMT

Postby EpicDim » 15 Apr 2014, 00:04

marsman57 wrote:I'm already considering a lot of nuances. For example, by the rules a woman could marry her son once her husband died if the children were of the other dynasty. LOL
Incidentally though, I can see a lot of cases where someone could have multiple numbers in the same dynasty succession. I'm guessing that's not problematic though.

Marrying your children is the kind of stuff that did happen in European royalty, there was a lot of inbreeding.

Multiple serial numbers would most likely be shrunk down to the smallest one if there were no titles that would apply to one and not the other. If you assign a title to a noble, that title would be masked by the minimum serial number for that dynasty for that character.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Re: Rules

Postby NamelessNate » 15 Apr 2014, 05:15

I'll happily reserve should I be needed.
NamelessNate

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1024)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby marsman57 » 15 Apr 2014, 13:01

When you say other titles are subsumed by the king, did that mean you can still build in that province and units are assigned to the king until such time as you re-create the title or do you mean that the location is not buildable until title re-creation? I assume either way, all units raised by the location remain the king's perpetually even after title re-creation.
Last edited by marsman57 on 15 Apr 2014, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.
marsman57

Postby EpicDim » 15 Apr 2014, 18:56

NamelessNate wrote:I'll happily reserve should I be needed.

Thanks, I'll add you to the reserves list. Hopefully we won't need you, but we'll really appreciate it if we do.

marsman57 wrote:When you say other titles are subsumed by the king, did that mean you can still build in that province and units are assigned to the king until such time as you re-create the title or do you mean that the location is not buildable until title re-creation? I assume either way, all units raised by the location remain the king's perpetually even after title re-creation.

This was in the succession section which I ended up re-reading last night and fully understanding for the first time :)

If a Titled noble becomes king, then that Title is retired and may be re-granted by the new King at a later date. All armies of that Title revert to the power, but the location of the Title is now a building site (not a supply center) for that dynasty until the Title is reassigned. Note that it must be controlled to build there.

So basically the King retires the title itself, but effectively still has both it and the crown, so I'll put it in parens to indicate that. It is available for re-assignment in a future phase however.
EpicDim

Postby marsman57 » 15 Apr 2014, 18:59

Ah thanks. I think I missed that and I wasn't really feeling re-reading the entire rule set to look for it. The rules are long. That said, once you get it, they all make sense.

I'm pondering trying to distill some of them into a "quick reference card" so you don't have to dig for the basic stuff.
marsman57

Postby marsman57 » 15 Apr 2014, 19:04

Also, this has been bugging me haha.

Winter Builds, Births, Aging and Deaths (w16X0b)
Winter Titles, Marriage and Treaties (w1605t)
Spring Moves (s16X0m)

I think the bolded should be (w16X0t).
marsman57

Postby EpicDim » 15 Apr 2014, 19:25

marsman57 wrote:Also, this has been bugging me haha.

You just outed yourself as a rules lawyer. :)

Fixed!
EpicDim

Postby marsman57 » 15 Apr 2014, 19:34

If I am reading the rules correctly, do you assign archbishopric seats during the marriage phase? Any pre-existing archbishops and cardinals would be so declared during the first such phase I assume?
marsman57

PreviousNext

Return to Royale