Nomic 5 - Proposal 303: "Party Time"

Moderators: Crunkus, connect4

Re: Nomic 5 - Proposal 303: "Party Time"

Postby Pagane » 22 Feb 2014, 22:22

Think Diplomacy. This gives players the opportunity to make formal alliances towards a common goal. Consider the implications of Thingagenesis: players will soon be passing around Things granting abilities limited only by imagination and our ability to get others to approve its creation. Alliances will be formed by players trying to control those Things, by players trying to build certain legislation, by players trying to take down another player or alliance close to winning. This gives those alliances a public place to coordinate.

I wanted to include this, but didn't think it was possible to set up: would it be possible for Parties to have a thread(or sub-forum, if that's what it takes) that can be read only by party members?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Previously known as Santiago Matamoros.
Pagane

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1079)
All-game rating: (1085)
Timezone: GMT

Postby connect4 » 22 Feb 2014, 22:28

I believe we are now in the voting phase.

AYE
connect4

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Crunkus » 22 Feb 2014, 22:47

Pagane wrote:Think Diplomacy. This gives players the opportunity to make formal alliances towards a common goal. Consider the implications of Thingagenesis: players will soon be passing around Things granting abilities limited only by imagination and our ability to get others to approve its creation. Alliances will be formed by players trying to control those Things, by players trying to build certain legislation, by players trying to take down another player or alliance close to winning. This gives those alliances a public place to coordinate.

What I'm asking is how the making and breaking of alliances has been affected by this legislation.

I do not doubt the role alliances and deals may play in this game. I just don't understand how their role has been enhanced by this legislation appreciably. We do not need this legislation to make diplomacy and alliances an important part of the game.

I just don't see what is to be gained. If this legislation enhanced this element of game play in a real way, that I'm just not grasping, I'd be more inclined to support it. Does that make sense?
(sigh)
Crunkus

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)

Postby Quantum Hovercraft » 23 Feb 2014, 02:20

I don't see how this is useful at enforcing alliances and people agreeing to pass legislation if people can just leave the parties at any time. At least not more so than just people agreeing to support each other. I therefore vote:

NAY
Quantum Hovercraft

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Ugluk » 23 Feb 2014, 09:41

NAY
Niakan is a tease.
Ugluk

Standard rating: (1048)
All-game rating: (1028)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 23 Feb 2014, 10:04

AYE

Yay, I'm active again!

I am actually not sure I like the idea of parties, and I echo the same concerns as Crunkus in terms of what do I get etc, but of course a party platform might include a desire for a block to put in place rules that would offer points benefits for voting with the party or whatever. To be honest I am not sure I can see it working BUT I am quite happy to see how it pans out in practice.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby Crunkus » 23 Feb 2014, 14:26

NAY

Barring an upside that I'm missing being sufficiently explained.
(sigh)
Crunkus

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)

Postby Pagane » 23 Feb 2014, 22:49

Aye

@Crunkus- this is the fist bit of legislation in a series that I have in mind. With the party system active, we will be able to create new powers for controlling the flow of the game for parties to try to control. I hinted at this with the clause stating the conditions for a party to be considered to be the Majority. It opens the floor to future questions about what being a Majority means. I'm leaving the effects of this proposal very open-ended on purpose: I'm sure that I won't be the only person to bring ideas to the floor regarding jobs and abilities that parties can preform. I think that it will also incentivize players to recruit more people into the game as they try to boost the ranks of their own parties.

Alliances will always form, yes. But this opens endless possibilities to give newfound strengths and abilities to public alliances, and of course makes the prospect of betrayal and backstabbing that much more inviting.

Pagane

Postby Quantum Hovercraft » 23 Feb 2014, 23:01

OK you've convinced me.

AYE
Quantum Hovercraft

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Pagane » 23 Feb 2014, 23:32

AYE

Fixing my vote format. Per Rule 301.2.a:
Voting Phase
During this time, players cast votes for the proposal. Votes must be cast on their own line, in red color and at least size 125; conditional votes are not allowed. Red will be defined to be the color #FF0000. Acceptable text for votes are as follows:
AYE
NAY
ABSTAIN
Looks like votes need to be in all caps. For future reference.

Pagane

PreviousNext

Return to Nomic 5 (finished)