Nomic 5 - Proposal 302 "Thingagenesis" (Passed)

Moderators: Crunkus, connect4

Re: Nomic 5 - Proposal 302 "Thingagenesis"

Postby Ugluk » 16 Feb 2014, 00:39

Good to see you back, Santiago. Sorry about my slip in Crunkus' epic Survival homage.
Niakan is a tease.
Ugluk

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1048)
All-game rating: (1028)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Ugluk » 16 Feb 2014, 02:05

As I read the rules (he said with dubious authority) the opportunity to create a Thing comes down to who's first to post. This implies an advantage to the Rule proposer, but that aside, it encourages "First!" behavior, rather than quality Things. And so, I humbly request that for a Thing to be recognized as a Proper Thing, it must be Seconded by at least one other player. e.g. Ugluk >> "I endorse the creation of 'Ugluk's Steely Gaze', as Proposed by Crunkus.", Lecrae >> "We definitely need more Cowbell".

I think this will encourage people to think about their Things leading up to the next Rule Proposal thread, rather than shooting from the hip, as it were.

Genesis Thing

I. Benefits of Possession
I.I For each rule proposal and voting phase pair that this Thing is possessed, the possessing Player earns five (5) points.
I.I.I The value of possession (I.I) increases by five (5) points per turn for each time I.I is satisfied by the same Player consecutively.
I.II Each time a Player in possession of the Genesis Thing quotes a Genesis (band) song lyric of at least five (5) words that arguably contributes to the theme of the present phase, that Player earns two (2) points.
I.II.I Awards of (I.II) are limited to five (5) per Player per Rule Proposal for which the quote applies.

II. Detriments of Possession
II.I Each time a Player in possession of the Genesis Thing speaks (posts) in a manner that does not satisfy (I.II), that Player is penalized by two (2) points.
II.I.I Exceptions to (II.I) include Rule mandated actions, such as Rule Proposals, Votes, and requirements of a Thing. This rule is narfable.

III. Possession
III.I Upon creation, the Genesis Thing is not possessed by any player.
III.II A Player who spends a Player turn adequately satisfying (I.II) without satisfying (II.I) takes possession of the Genesis Thing at the beginning of the subsequent Player turn.
III.III If two Players satisfy (III.II) for the same Player turn, the tie favors the first person to have satisfied (I.II) other than the present possessor of Genesis Thing.

IV. General Penalties for all Players (just because)
IV.I Any player who mentions Genesis Thing for any reason suffers an immediately effective five (5) point penalty.
IV.II The sum of all penalties related to Genesis Thing for a given Player turn are capped at the score that Player possessed at the beginning of the Turn wherein the penalty or penalties were assessed.
IV.III Correctly scoring a Turn in which Genesis Thing played a part earns the scorer five (5) points.
IV.IV Incorrectly scoring a Turn in which Genesis Thing played a part earns the scorer a penalty of five (5) points.
Niakan is a tease.
Ugluk

Standard rating: (1048)
All-game rating: (1028)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby connect4 » 16 Feb 2014, 02:26

Ugluk, regarding your point above, crunkus's proposal states that only the proposer may make a thing (currently). I believe this refers to the proposal proposer, so first-to-post wouldn't be relevant, unless I am missing something.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Crunkus » 16 Feb 2014, 04:52

I can confirm what connect4 said, the proposer is the only one that can initiate the creation of a Thing under the rule as proposed. That is nerfable though, and you could certainly create a Thing that made Thing creation a bit more modular. If people are interested, I could clean up the rest of the rule to allow for that process to be a bit easier. I believe some of the language ties it to the current phases, and it might be problematic to modify that bit with just a Thing.
(sigh)
Crunkus

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Feb 2014, 08:02

Sorry to have been a sleeping partner in this collaboration. I'm a bit drained at the moment with the new variant and the player classes stuff. But I am hoping to spend more time on Nomic as a more restful and relaxing option :lol:

My brain is a bit mushy at the moment, I will need to read the proposal some more times. The one thing that struck me when I glanced at it last night is that the rule is narfable itself and does not specify by what Thing it is narfable. But I see this morning that some words have been added to cover the situation where a rule states it is narfable but does not identify the associated Thing. I will digest that.

Not sure how long I have, I haven't got to grips with the timing yet. Is it a 72 hour max before voting?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pagane » 16 Feb 2014, 11:34

Ugluk wrote:Good to see you back, Santiago. Sorry about my slip in Crunkus' epic Survival homage.

Good to see you as well, Ugluk! I don't recall what you're referring to in the old Survival game, though.

Also, though C4 is right that Things must be proposed by the player whose turn it currently is, Crunkus' rule hasn't taken effect yet, so the Genesis Thing couldn't be passed yet anyway. It does make a good example of the kinds of Things that can be proposed, however.

Crunkus wrote:I can confirm what connect4 said, the proposer is the only one that can initiate the creation of a Thing under the rule as proposed. That is nerfable though, and you could certainly create a Thing that made Thing creation a bit more modular.

I'm looking forward to seeing Things that allow for additional Things or Rules to be proposed.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Previously known as Santiago Matamoros.
Pagane

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1079)
All-game rating: (1085)

Postby Crunkus » 16 Feb 2014, 16:15

v.2.3 up slightly more modular. Could conceivably support multiple timings and Things a turn (provided you have a partner in your multiple Thing creation) a bit better now.
(sigh)
Crunkus

Postby connect4 » 16 Feb 2014, 16:26

super_dipsy wrote:Sorry to have been a sleeping partner in this collaboration. I'm a bit drained at the moment with the new variant and the player classes stuff. But I am hoping to spend more time on Nomic as a more restful and relaxing option :lol:

My brain is a bit mushy at the moment, I will need to read the proposal some more times. The one thing that struck me when I glanced at it last night is that the rule is narfable itself and does not specify by what Thing it is narfable. But I see this morning that some words have been added to cover the situation where a rule states it is narfable but does not identify the associated Thing. I will digest that.

Not sure how long I have, I haven't got to grips with the timing yet. Is it a 72 hour max before voting?

48 hour "proposal phase" get the rule right, edit it.
Max 48 hour voting. Cast votes. Have fun. When everyone votes, results posted, go to next round.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby Quantum Hovercraft » 16 Feb 2014, 17:02

Would the proposer still propose a rule as well as the creation of a thing?
Quantum Hovercraft

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Crunkus » 16 Feb 2014, 17:22

Quantum Hovercraft wrote:Would the proposer still propose a rule as well as the creation of a thing?

Yes, all the rules about the remain intact. This is just additive. You could even theme them if you liked.
(sigh)
Crunkus

PreviousNext

Return to Nomic 5 (finished)