Hey look, I wrote another one! (PDVT)

TD: sinnybee; Assistant TD: mr bump

Moderator: sinnybee

Hey look, I wrote another one! (PDVT)

Postby Nanook » 27 Jan 2015, 05:38

Well, thanks in part to the prodding of Alman, I figured why not do another one of these...but in typical fashion, I waited until everything was winding down to do so :oops:

So, a quick rundown in case you haven't been paying attention (and keep in mind, I've been a little distracted too with other stuff to really follow this game closely, so please excuse any lack of details). Britain and Turkey have gone the way of Germany, as have all the minors except Egypt. Now it's down to France (9 centers), Italy (7), Poland (11), and USSR (11), and whoever Egypt (5), though keep in mind that Egypt is a minor...I have some ideas who they might belong to, but I'll exercise the better part of valor and stay silent bout that. Anyways, there's a 4-way draw on the table from what I can see from the PP, but can't tell if it's been rejected or not obviously. Let's hope so, because frankly, that would be kind of an anticlimactic end to a great tournament ;) Go for the solo, says I! Or at least a 3-way, I mean c'mon, let's make it a little exclusive anyways :lol:

Guess I should lay some odds now, huh, since that's ostensibly what this is for. Alright, here goes I guess...

Odds for a solo, by country:
France, Not Likely
Italy, Probably Not Happening
Poland, A Definite Chance
USSR, Probably the Most Likely

Odds for a draw, by number of countries included:
2 Way Draw, 10-1
3 Way Draw, 5-1
4 Way Draw, 7-1
Draw of Any Number, 2-1
Any Country Solos, 7-1

Odds that a classicist that was a classicist at the beginning of the game solos, 5-1
(Classicists in the game are: Major B, AlmanMEin, poorfool, Mozzarella, JonS. At least those two are out, not sure about the other three...at least two are still active though!)

That's it from me for now, another one in a few days...if you're lucky... ;) :roll:

As always, ask for odds on something and you shall receive, no matter how silly it may be

Links that I almost forgot:
Game: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... e_id=94035
Baby Animal: Image
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Hey look, I wrote another one! (PDVT)

Postby Pb10gon » 27 Jan 2015, 16:14

At those odds I would like to put one English pound on every outcome. I think I cant lose.
And every remaining player is now a member of Classicist group as I joined during the game.

Most importantly - the 4 way draw is a done deal. Just waiting for it to be accepted by all & there is no rush.
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Buachaille » 27 Jan 2015, 16:41

Pb10gon wrote:And every remaining player is now a member of Classicist group as I joined during the game.

:o Which either means TE has been eliminated :o or PB's made a mistake as to who's a Classicist :o
Classicist.
Buachaille

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1635)

Postby Nanook » 04 Feb 2015, 05:55

Pb10gon wrote:At those odds I would like to put one English pound on every outcome. I think I cant lose.
And every remaining player is now a member of Classicist group as I joined during the game.

Most importantly - the 4 way draw is a done deal. Just waiting for it to be accepted by all & there is no rush.

The bet is for classicists at the beginning of the game to win, but congratulations on your recent joining!

Not so much a done deal after all...I'm thrilled, a game like this deserves a more exciting ending than a 4 way draw, in my opinion at least.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Buachaille » 15 Feb 2015, 18:53

Ok gents, so now it's bean spilling time! :D
Classicist.
Buachaille

Postby charliep007 » 15 Feb 2015, 22:11

A 4 way draw? With a 1 centre Russia - allowing him to win the tournament? ! This seems like a betting scandal!

Congrats to all! And well done major B!
charliep007

Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)

Postby Alman » 15 Feb 2015, 23:16

I think we need to check the Italian, Polish and French players as the exit the game to see if they have pockets stuffed with Rubles.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)

Postby WHSeward » 15 Feb 2015, 23:40

Clearly the Russian player is a master diplomat.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Buachaille » 16 Feb 2015, 14:32

WHSeward wrote:Clearly the Russian player is a master diplomat.

Indeed!

I'm sure Sinny's just very busy and in the mean time I'd just like to make a fuss about the tournament as a whole. Almost a year long, 77 players and 31 games in total it's been a great way to bed in a new variant and no mean feat of organisation. The final has been a suitable culmination to the tournament, full of spice and intrigue, twists and turns and congratulations to all involved. Particular congratulations to the eventual winner who seems to have pulled an 'against all odds' negotiation for the draw to steal the tournament title. :D

I'm really looking forward to the AAR.
Classicist.
Buachaille

Postby Pb10gon » 16 Feb 2015, 22:56

I think it about time that the end of this game was explained. Not least of all to MajorB as USSR who will be genuinely surprised to have won the tournament.
The one Russian army was effectively an Egyptian hostage. Hostage to what I am still not sure, but hostage all the same.
Mozzarella as Poland accepted the 4 way draw earlier on & always said he would accept a draw. Its just Poorfool & I that were reluctant.

Let me explain the debacle that this tournament became. I explained my feelings to Mozz & PF (but not USSR which is why its a surprise to him).
This tournament became a maths exercise. Those in the semis got a taste, knowing how many points they would need to reach the final and those games sometimes were manipulated to let those that could get in the final do so by getting the right number of centres. We took great pains to identify each other early on. Natural but crucially a failing for the tournament.
In the Final, we all started with mathematical positions knowing & continually working towards the result that would let is get the numbers to win. With TE, Jon & AlMan eliminated in a game of Ten Little Indians the numbers became so prominent that every change was based on numbers, each player knowing the relative positions. We gravitated to the natural mathematical balance around the numbers we needed to win. MB needed just one, Mozz 18, me 15, PF 13. It became clear that as soon as any of us hit the magic number the other 2 would have to stop it. We faced an eternal game with no solution except a random arbitrary one where one player was allowed to win.
PF managed this game (and the semi) so well he deserved to win. A really strong player whose ranking does not equate to his skills.
Mozz clearly got to the most centres and in fairness should have won.
I cant see that I had any merit in winning. After this I am pretty sure that I don't even like Versaille.
MB won the Semis over the other remaining 3 so dramatically that he is the deserving champion.
So if I was never going to kill MB then he was going to win. Rather than prolong the misery I proposed the draw. Accepted by all.

There is a serious real lesson to be learned here, and I am looking at straight at the PureDip Elite Tournament here. This tournament was spoiled by being able to identify each other AND by knowing the points achieved to date (and thereby the points needed relative to the other players). If we had gone into the final either not knowing the points, or better still, all equal, the final game would have been a proper, straight one.
This in in no way intended to be a criticism of the organisers. It is a plea to learn from a clear mistake. You live & learn.

I am sorry if you believe that I have spoiled the tournament.

My congratulations to the deserved Tournament champion. Major B.

Peter
If you can't do good, at least do memorable

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
Pb10gon

Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1730)

Next

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament