Update??

TD: sinnybee; Assistant TD: mr bump

Moderator: sinnybee

Update??

Postby Alman » 03 Jul 2014, 04:34

Just wondering where things stand with the Tourney. Haven't 'looked in on that last game to see if they finally burned down Europe or not. :D
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Update??

Postby RolynTrotter » 03 Jul 2014, 05:39

I'm kinda wondering why this hasn't happened yet:
When all but one of the Phase 1 games are complete (21 of 22), I will immediately score the remaining game as a DIAS draw along with scoring the current supply center ownership and prepare the set-up of the Phase 2 games. When I'm done preparing the set-up of the Phase 2 games, I will check to see if the remaining game is 1) in Fall orders or Fall retreats AND 2) has a possibility of being about to change who makes it into Phase 2. If conditions 1) & 2) are met, I'll wait until Fall orders are resolved (or after Fall retreats, if qualification can change). If both 1) & 2) are not met, or after waiting, I will re-score the last game if the score has changed, and we will then proceed to Phase 2.
However, the last Phase 1 game will still continue, even if it overlaps into Phase 2. The final results of the last Phase 1 game will be used in the Site and PureDip rating adjustments and also later for the qualification calculation from Phase 2 into Phase 3.

I'd like it if things got going again. The one remaining game looks like it'll go on for years based on their shoutbox.
Apparently I'm a Classicist. Huh. That's fun I guess
Prussia in Napoleonic: Empires and Coalitions -- Golly that was a long time ago
Short for Carolyn
RolynTrotter

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1165)

Postby sinnybee » 03 Jul 2014, 06:29

JonathanSwaim wrote:I'm kinda wondering why this hasn't happened yet:
When all but one of the Phase 1 games are complete (21 of 22), I will immediately score the remaining game as a DIAS draw along with scoring the current supply center ownership and prepare the set-up of the Phase 2 games. When I'm done preparing the set-up of the Phase 2 games, I will check to see if the remaining game is 1) in Fall orders or Fall retreats AND 2) has a possibility of being about to change who makes it into Phase 2. If conditions 1) & 2) are met, I'll wait until Fall orders are resolved (or after Fall retreats, if qualification can change). If both 1) & 2) are not met, or after waiting, I will re-score the last game if the score has changed, and we will then proceed to Phase 2.
However, the last Phase 1 game will still continue, even if it overlaps into Phase 2. The final results of the last Phase 1 game will be used in the Site and PureDip rating adjustments and also later for the qualification calculation from Phase 2 into Phase 3.

I'd like it if things got going again. The one remaining game looks like it'll go on for years based on their shoutbox.

Sorry for the delay; I just moved and there's an advancing player who can't play right now (he gave me advanced notice), but 3 Phase 2 games will be starting shortly--expect a PM from me, hopefully tomorrow.

79226. PD Versailles Tournament Game A6

Sent: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:08 pm
BCC: []

I know which players are playing which major powers.
Please PM me to tell me (or guess at, in case I can't confirm with someone else) which major power corresponds to the remaining minor powers of Egypt and Greece so that I can score this game to seed the top 28 players into Phase 2 / semifinal games.
Thanks!
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Alman » 03 Jul 2014, 15:27

Thanks for the update Sinny. My wife and I (and I guess we should take the kids too :? ) are in the process of moving, so you have ALL my sympathies. :shock: :D

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Postby Buachaille » 03 Jul 2014, 18:03

And here was me thinking we'd all taken a break to enjoy the World Cup ;)
Classicist.
Buachaille

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1635)
Timezone: GMT

Postby SaltySailor » 04 Jul 2014, 14:55

Soccer, interesting pastime, but if you cant use your hands, can it really be called a sport?

Put a point on each end of that ball, and allow forward passes... now you're talking!
`
¸¸„‹`˭˭˭˭˭˭˭|≡≡≡≡````````````````Salty Sailor`````````````≡≡≡≡„*|°„≡≡
ˡ-©---©......Classicists Platinum, Oldies, and Cup of Nations Team USA.....‘„¸¸„’`*•›„¸¸„.
SaltySailor

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (963)
All-game rating: (1309)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby charliep007 » 04 Jul 2014, 15:20

SaltySailor wrote:Soccer, interesting pastime, but if you cant use your hands, can it really be called a sport?

Put a point on each end of that ball, and allow forward passes... now you're talking!

you've make a great point there SaltySailor, I sure love American football (even as a Brit - FSU all the way) but why not call it handball rather than football? the ball is mainly played our of he hand isn't it... but would that be considered too girly ;)
charliep007

Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)

Postby Alman » 04 Jul 2014, 15:31

And for the ultimate irony, handball is played with a ball that closely resembles a soccer ball!

2010_European_Men's_Handball_Championship.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alman

Postby charliep007 » 04 Jul 2014, 15:52

AlmanMEin wrote:And for the ultimate irony, handball is played with a ball that closely resembles a soccer ball!

2010_European_Men's_Handball_Championship.jpg

but at least its played with peoples hands... football is played with peoples FEET - how in the world is American football named correctly.

so conversation goes like this?

American guy: 'Hi, I'm American, I love football, do you like it?'

A guy from anywhere else on the planet:
'Hi, I'm from anywhere else on the planet (please insert your nation), I love football too, really enjoying the world cup right now, what about you?

American guy: 'Yo Bro, we don't have no world cup, we have a superbowl - you must be talking about soccer not REAL football'

guy from anywhere else on the planet: 'oh, you mean you have a game called football that is different from the football you call soccer?'

American guy: 'Yeah! we sure do, its the real deal, we don't really kick the ball with our feet though, we hold it in our hands... But these guys that play it are SOOOO tough, they smash into each other and run really quickly with the ball'

guy from anywhere else on the planet: 'hang on, you call it football but don't use your feet to kick the ball? sounds like Rugby to me?'

American guy: 'Rugby? whats that sounds strange?'

guy from anywhere else on the planet: 'yeah tough guys smashing into eachother, running really quickly with the ball'

American guy:' cooooool, sounds like Football - high five bro'

guy from anywhere else on the planet: 'did I mention they don't wear shoulder pads - or helmets? these are REAL men'

American guy: 'soda anyone?

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY AMERICAN FRIENDS

ps which nations are playing in the world series baseball this year?
charliep007

Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)

Postby Buachaille » 04 Jul 2014, 15:53

SaltySailor wrote:Soccer, interesting pastime, but if you cant use your hands, can it really be called a sport?

Fitba as I believe it's officially called by the folk that invented it (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/after-150-years-the-truth-scotland-invented-football-8756018.html) is the beautiful game. Any fool can use his hands to chuck a ball.

If you want to change the rules and prefix the name with a geographical indicator to denote its parochial pecularities; off you trot. It hasn't really caught on has it. ;)
Classicist.
Buachaille

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1635)

Next

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament