Versailles Tournament ~Stock~ OFG

TD: sinnybee; Assistant TD: mr bump

Moderator: sinnybee

Versailles Tournament ~Stock~ OFG

Postby sinnybee » 03 Apr 2014, 23:06

Welcome to the Versailles Tournament ~Stock~ Other Forum Game.

Ever wanted to place bets on countries in Diplomacy that you thought would do well? Ever wanted to stake something on a prediction that a country would get stabbed / do poorly? This is your chance to basically do just that.

This game is available to everyone, whether you're playing in the Versailles Tournament or not.
(If you are currently playing in the Versailles Tournament, and if additionally participating in this stock game will increase the chance that you might miss a turn in the Versailles Tournament, then please do NOT participate in this stock game--taking your Versailles Tournament turns should be the priority.)

This post is not done being written yet; come back in a day or so to see the complete version.

The scenario
Each player starts with $2,000 and €1,000 that is available to invest in stock.
  • Dollars pertain to public trading--I will post the transactions of players when they purchase and sell stocks with dollars. Euros pertain to private trading--I will not post the transactions of players when they purchase and sell stocks with euros.
  • Dollars cannot be used to purchase stock (nor for shorting stock) of a country that's in a game that you're playing in. Therefore, if you're playing Germany/Rumania in Game C4, you CANNOT purchase "C4 Yugoslavia" stock with dollars (though you can with euros). Euros can be used to purchase stock (or for shorting stock) whether or not the stock pertains to a country of a game that you're playing in.

Definitions
  • The stock broker--sinnybee. I am also serving as the GM.
  • Transaction--one or more trades communicated to sinnybee (the stock broker) in a PM.
  • Trade--A purchase or sale of shares of a stock.
  • Stock--14 countries (7 major + 7 minor) x 31 Versailles Tournament games = 434 different stocks available for purchase. A couple examples of stocks are "A6 Italy" and "D2 Sweden".
  • Stock price--$(Y*Z) and €(Y*Z), where Y is the number of supply centers owned by the country that the stock represents, and Z is the stock price adjustment (see the table example below), being the same percentage across all games for each particular power.
  • Short-selling stock--selling stock...

Rules relating to the above definitions
  • Only one transaction per day is allowed per player, with at least 12 hours between each transaction.
  • Stock broker fee: $5 or €5 (depending on if it is a public or a private transaction) per transaction + $5 or €5 per trade + 1% of the value of the stock being bought or sold.
  • No broker fee for purchasing stock of a country that you are playing (purchased in Euros).
  • Each transaction must have at least one trade of $100/€100 or more and all trades must be for at least $50/€50 (you can sell all of a particular country stock, even if its value has dropped below 50). This rule keeps players from spending more than 11% of the value of the stock being bought or sold on the stock broker fee.

Other rules
  • The stock market is "open" for all country stocks that are in a game that is currently in the Fall Retreat (only if supply center ownership cannot change), Fall Build, or Spring Orders (except Spring 1931) phases. The stock market is "closed" for all country stocks that are in a game that is currently in the Spring Retreat or Fall orders phases.
    The reason for this, is that what happens during the Spring Orders phase has a strong contribution to upcoming supply center change of ownership (which is the sole thing that changes stock prices).
    For example, let's say that in PDVT Game B9, France suffers a costly Spring 1938 stab or NMR, but that since supply center ownership doesn't change in the Spring, they are still at 8 owned supply centers, though it looks like they will probably lose at least a couple of them by Fall 1938. In this scenario, Spring 1938 has already processed, meaning that it is now Spring Retreat or Fall orders, meaning that if gsmx owns $500 basis price of "B9 France" stock that he bought a couple days ago, he can't sell it right now, as the stock market is closed for Game B9. Gsmx will have to wait until the stock market reopens for Game B9 after the Fall 1938 Orders have processed (and after Fall 1938 Retreats if supply center ownership could change), at which time the stock value of "B9 France" will have probably gone down. Depending on whether gsmx thinks that the new value of "B9 France" is overpriced (at least in comparison to other stock) or underpriced, he may either want to sell or buy more "B9 France".
  • There is a maximum of $400, €400, and 600 combined $/€, that may be spent per country per game year across all games. For example, if sisyphus216 spends $250 on "A8 Egypt" stock and $150 on "B3 Egypt" stock on a particular day, then he can't spend any more dollars on any type of Egypt stock until either Game A8 or Game B3 reach a new SC calculation / see another Fall Orders (or Fall Retreat) pass / are reopened to the stock market. When that happens for Game A8, sisyphus216 is free to spend another up to $250 on stock for Egypt in one or more games, if he desires to do so (and of course if he has the funds available to purchase the stock).
  • Whenever there have been at least 4 transactions since last stock price adjustment, there will be a stock price adjustment (no more than one per day). For every 100 spent on a power (across all games) more / less than the average of all 14 powers, that power will cost 1% more / less than 100% times the number of supply centers owned by the power in each particular Versailles Tournament game.
    I have provided the numbers in the table below as an example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Versailles Tournament Stock OFG!

Postby sinnybee » 04 Apr 2014, 00:04

Reserved.
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby sinnybee » 04 Apr 2014, 00:05

Reserved.
sinnybee

Postby Custer » 04 Apr 2014, 00:44

Is the Versay tourny filled? :(
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1095
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jakofipa » 04 Apr 2014, 01:11

Sounds interesting, I'm in.

Could you confirm what Euros and Dollars can and cannot be used for? My understanding is Dollars are on all games but the ones you are participating in. Euros can be used on any game for any country.

Also, how do the stock prices work? If Italy say owned 20% of the SCs, would that be $20 per stock unit or $0.20. Does that mean that annihilated players have a price of $0, so you can buy thousands of shares in the hope they return?

You must have so much time to do this, I look forward to it :D

Jak
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa
Premium Member

Standard rating: 982
All-game rating: 989
Timezone: GMT

Postby RolynTrotter » 04 Apr 2014, 01:27

This looks fun although I don't understand the rules yet. I assume that we're the arms manufacturers or something, thus making this a grim commentary on industrialization and money in politics.
Apparently I'm a Classicist. Huh. That's fun I guess
Prussia in Napoleonic: Empires and Coalitions -- Golly that was a long time ago
Short for Carolyn
RolynTrotter

Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1165)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Versailles Tournament ~Stock~ OFG

Postby super_dipsy » 04 Apr 2014, 07:29

I'm in! Did you fire the starting pistol yet?

One question - I assume that stocks are unlimited? So everyone could choose to by the same country/game stock if they so wished? There is no limited supply issue? It will be interesting to see the dynamics, because of course the number of people buying into a particular stock usually affects a price, but in this case it is the SCs.

Another Q - you could introduce a new element of intrigue if you wish by allowing people to short stocks, although you might have to worry about players being allowed to short a stock in a game they are in ;) . If France is about to stab Germany, a sudden shorting of the stock might be considered insider trading...

Final Q - not quite sure on the private v public thing. Should they not have a different dealing cost? Otherwise I am not sure I really see the diff (other than allowing a player to buy their own stock)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby McGiles » 04 Apr 2014, 10:54

super_dipsy wrote:Another Q - you could introduce a new element of intrigue if you wish by allowing people to short stocks, although you might have to worry about players being allowed to short a stock in a game they are in. If France is about to stab Germany, a sudden shorting of the stock might be considered insider trading...

Dollars wouldn't be an issue there, but I feel buying stocks in Euros could have the same insider trading issues even if shorting is not allowed. One could argue that all stocks bought in a game you're playing in is insider trading unless you're ignorant at what is happening in your game at the moment (in which case it may be wise to short stock in yourself ;) )

Personally I find that the inclusion of Euros is just extra fluff in an already full idea. I think that all currency should be Euros (because Versailles is in Europe) and you just can't trade in your own game. However, this isn't my idea, so I'll leave it to Sinny.

Shorting would be a fun idea, you may not know who is going to improve but you could foresee the grand alliance a mile away. However, what would be the timeframe for a short be? Just a year?

Just for clarification, even if someone solos, all stocks would still maintain their values, correct? If Britain has 15 SC's and Turkey solos, would Britain's stocks be liquidated at 15 (minus transaction costs)?
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand hexadecimal, and F the rest...
McGiles

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (943)
All-game rating: (1074)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby SaltySailor » 04 Apr 2014, 17:40

I'm offering stock options to allies as performance bonuses.
`
¸¸„‹`˭˭˭˭˭˭˭|≡≡≡≡````````````````Salty Sailor`````````````≡≡≡≡„*|°„≡≡
ˡ-©---©......Classicists Platinum, Oldies, and Cup of Nations Team USA.....‘„¸¸„’`*•›„¸¸„.
SaltySailor

Standard rating: (963)
All-game rating: (1309)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sinnybee » 09 Apr 2014, 23:03

I've been really busy the last 4 days (end of the US tax season and all).
I'm not sure if I'll have time to get this started soon (or at all).
I'll post if and when I'm taking transactions (at which time the rules would be done--they aren't done now).
sinnybee

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament