Amphibious Zombies Rules

Variation in which the Zombies can move through water spaces. GM: EpicDim. Winner: condude1 (The Swiss Republic of Iberia)

Amphibious Zombies Rules

Postby EpicDim » 11 Dec 2013, 08:09

I liked the city states/zombies premise and I'd be happy to GM one where Zombies can cross the water. Build anywhere and 1900 start.

House Rules: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=41188

Variable number of players. Once the number of players is determined the number of SCs per player will be set using the algorithm of the smallest number of SCs per player to keep the zombies at equal to or less than 50% of the total units. We will also not allow a number of players which would bring the zombies to less than 30% of the total units.
2 players - 9 SCs each
3 players - 6 SCs each
4 players - 5 SCs each
5 players - 4 SCs each
6-7 players - 3 SCs each
9-11 players - 2 SCs each
17-23 players - 1 SC each
(When deciding to play, feel free to make it contingent on a range of players)

SCs will be determined via a blind auction at the SC level. 340 points available spread across 34 SCs (minimum of 1 point per SC), No more than 10 SCs can have the same bid. (A twist on the bids, if the maximum bid for an SC is a tie, then a zombie wins that SC instead of a random determination) If no preference is given a randomly determined bid will be of 10 SCs with a bid of 10, 10 SCs with a bid of 9, 10 SCs with a bid of 11, 2 SCs with a bid of 8, and 2 SCs with a bid of 12.

Because of the blind auction, NO PREFERENCE to SCs should be stated openly.

Rules as per Zombie Rules 1.3 with the following modifications in blue: The modification is only to allow Zombies to move to sea spaces.

In these rules, the word “unit” means any player¬unit.

0. Zombies will inhabit certain portions of the map to be determined in advance by the GM. (See above) Zombies do not need SCs to resource them; rather they increase their numbers by infecting player units whose spaces they occupy as a result of movement phases.

Movement
1. Zombies always either Move or Hold. If a unit occupies an adjacent landterritory to a zombie then the zombie will attempt to move to its space. Zombies can always detect a unit in an adjacent space, including a fleet sitting on the coast (even if the coast is split and the fleet appears distant from the Zombie) or a sea space.

2. Subject to the coastal provinces exception in 1.,if a zombie is adjacent to two or more units in land provinces it will move towards one of those units, to be chosen randomly by the GM before opening any orders.

3. Zombies never act rationally, so in a situation where two zombies are adjacent to unit A, but one of them is also adjacent to unit B, they are not able to reason "One of us should attack each." Each zombie will attack at random, so that it is possible they will both attack the same one.

4. Zombie moves can be supported by a unit; Zombies targeting the same space do not "support" each other in the way that player units do; rather, they mount a joint attack which, if it is strong enough, is successful and one of the attackers moves into the space.

Resolving conflict with zombies
5. All conflicts between zombies and units can be determined by treating the zombie as though it has a fighting strength of 1.1. The following examples of specific cases are intended to make the most likely situations clear.

6. If a zombie successfully moves to a space occupied by a unit, the unit is destroyed ("turns into a Zombie"); in addition an additional zombie appears in the space originally occupied by the zombie which moved unless a player unit has moved into it.

7. If a single zombie moves to the space occupied by an unsupported, holding unit the zombie’s move is successful (1.1 - 1) .

8. If a zombie and a player unit are ordered each to the other’s space and neither has any support or assistance, the zombie’s move is victorious (1.1 - 1) If an unsupported player unit is ordered to a Zombie's space and the Zombie remains in place, the result is a stand-off. If a Zombie and a unit are each ordered to a space which is unoccupied as a result of other moves the Zombie is successful (1.1-1) and the player unit bounces.

9. If two or more zombies are ordered to move to the same space then they are considered to be assisting each other and moving with double (or more) strength, unless one of them is faced by a supported attack from the target unit. In that case the target’s attack succeeds but the other unit(s) orders remain in place against the target space. When determining the orders for each Zombie, if more than one Zombie is ordered to any space the GM will also determine which one will move if the attack succeeds.

10. If a Zombie unit which is assisting an attack on a player unit is attacked by a unit in a space different from the Zombie's target the unit's attack has no effect on the joint Zombie attack, and if randomly chosen the attacked Zombie can move as normal. If the Zombie does not move then the player unit's attack is resolved as usual.

11. Target units can receive support from other units. This support will only ward off the zombie attack if there are at least as many supporting units as the number of zombies attacking the target (eg a single zombie in Budapest attacks an army in Vienna with support from Trieste; the zombie attack fails (1.1 – 2.0)

12. Any SC occupied by a zombie after a Fall season (including retreats) immediately becomes a neutral center.

13. If a unit successfully moves to a space occupied by a zombie then the zombie is destroyed.

14. An unsuccessful attack by a zombie does not cut any support being given by the target unit, but if the target becomes a zombie its support is cancelled.

15. A zombie which is attacked by two equal (which therefore bounce each other) is not dislodged and remains in place just as a player unit would under the same circumstances ("beleaguered garrison" rule).

Victory conditions
16. The game ends when and only when the last Zombie is annihilated, and the nation(s) with the highest number of controlled SCs at that time will be the winner(s). If all players are eliminated then the winners are the Zombies! No agreed concessions or draws before this time will be recognized. If the players wish to end the game without eliminating the last Zombie then the game will be declared a Zombie victory! If, in the option of the GM, the surviving players have abandoned any attempt to win the game then the default rule regarding deadlocked games will come into force with the modification that the declared result will be a Zombie victory.

Starting players:
1. Pagane
2. bluecuillin
3. I Love Italy
4. Xildur
5. condude1
6. Niakan
7. sjg11
Last edited by EpicDim on 02 Jan 2014, 05:40, edited 19 times in total.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Is there interest in another Zombies?

Postby Pagane » 11 Dec 2013, 10:30

Sounds interesting, I might join in!
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Previously known as Santiago Matamoros.
Pagane

Standard rating: (1079)
All-game rating: (1085)
Timezone: GMT

Postby bluecuillin » 11 Dec 2013, 13:48

Having been knocked out so early in the first game I would like another bash to try and salvage my pride if nothing else
Britain: crowded Othello
Chaos: Warhammer
Far East B: Australia
solo France
bluecuillin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1014)
All-game rating: (1022)

Postby I Love Italy » 11 Dec 2013, 17:20

I'd be interested if there were 7 or more players.
Last edited by I Love Italy on 12 Dec 2013, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Amphibious Zombies (3/?)

Postby Pedros » 12 Dec 2013, 06:00

Could be interesting, although I'm not convinced this is the best way to deal with the sea problem. Allowing zombies to see any coast is certainly right.

I have a feeling that with players who aren't familiar with the zombie rules this could be utter mayhem; perhaps I'll bid for the Zombies :mrgreen:
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Re: Amphibious Zombies (3/?) Recruiting

Postby Pedros » 13 Dec 2013, 10:03

I also think that this is going to make the zombies very much more powerful. Especially early on, the most useful tool for dealing with them (support from a fleet) won't be available. But we'll see.

Sign me up please
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Re: Amphibious Zombies (4/?) Recruiting

Postby Xildur » 23 Dec 2013, 10:03

I would like to join this game.
Just a Gamer looking for some fun
Xildur

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1046)

Re: Amphibious Zombies (5/7+) (4/6-) Recruiting

Postby condude1 » 24 Dec 2013, 02:20

I'll join, I saw the last one and would like to give it a go.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Re: Amphibious Zombies (6/7+) (5/6-) Recruiting

Postby condude1 » 24 Dec 2013, 08:18

Oh, I also have a question. If the following situation arose, for example:

Army Portugal
Army Marseilles
Zombie Army Spain

and

Spa-Mar
Mar s Por-Spa
Por-Spa

What happens? According to normal dip, the army would be evicted from Spain, but, because the zombie can overwhelm the army in Marseilles, it should take Marseilles. If it took Marseilles, a new zombie would appear in Spain, bouncing Portugal. This would mean that one unit managed to defend against two, which is a no-no in normal dip.

Just wondering,

Thanks

P.S. Thanks for the response
Last edited by condude1 on 24 Dec 2013, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Re: Amphibious Zombies (6/7+) (5/6-) Recruiting

Postby attitudes » 24 Dec 2013, 08:23

A new Zombie would not appear in Spain because Spain would not be vacant at the end of the season.

Result would be:

Z SPA - MAR
POR - SPA
MAR destroyed (edit)
Last edited by attitudes on 24 Dec 2013, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

All-game rating: (1000)

Next

Return to Game 3: Amphibious Zombies