Colonial Diplomacy - Game A (7/7)

GM : attitudes; 3-way draw between France China (asudevil), (glacier777) and Turkey (luckythirteen)

Colonial Diplomacy - Game A (7/7)

Postby attitudes » 01 Nov 2013, 18:32

This game is now in the confirmation stage and is no longer accepting applications. If you are interested in playing the Colonial variant then please go to:

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=41341

Admit it, it's what you've been waiting for. You've always wanted to play this variant. Now is your chance.

Please read the entire set of rules particularly Variant Rules numbers 7, 8, and 9. Ignorance of the variant or house rules is not an excuse.

If you are interested in playing, reply to this thread. This game will not be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. I will fill the game based on experience and reliability of past DVFG performance. The GM reserves the right to deny entrance to the game. Players that have a storied history of NMR's in previous DVFG's need not apply.

If there is enough interest, I may start a second game in a few weeks.

Confirmed Players
luckythirteen
glacier777
Pedros
stalin813
asudevil
haroonriaz
Morg

Colonial_Winter1870.gif
Colonial_Winter1870.gif (40.05 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

The Colonial Diplomacy variant of diplomacy follows the most of the rules as standard diplomacy with a modified map and three additional rules.

Deadlines

We are running a 72/24/24 game. I will allow 5 days for the first Spring season discussion.

I will try to send out a reminder email with 24 hours to go. If you send in provisional orders early, I will not send you a reminder email.

I will also run speed deadlines for any season where all orders are in early. If you do not want me to use your orders for speed deadlines, put "Provisional" in the message, so I know that. I will treat all submitted orders as finalized unless you specifically say that they are not. You can change your orders any time up until I post results. Sometimes I will be a little late in adjudication, so you can even change/place orders after the deadline as long as I have not posted results. Keep in mind, I am usually very prompt in posting results at the stated deadline.

Blind Auction

Countries will be decided by a blind auction. No player should say anything (publicly or privately) from this moment on which gives any indication of how they are thinking of bidding; any breach of this rule will result in the player being ruled out of the game. Each player has 140 points to bid. Maximum bid on any one country is 110. You must bid at least 1 for every country. Country choices are: Britain (Orange), Russia (Purple), Japan (Green), France (Dark Blue), China (Yellow), Turkey (Light Blue), and Holland (Red).

Further clarification on blind auctions can be found at: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=20967

NMR's

If you NMR for the first season I will remove you (If you can't make a 5 day turn, you won't make any).

If you NMR 2 turns in a row I will remove you. If you NMR 3 turns period I will remove you. I count NMR's for build and retreat phases the same as movement phases.

Please do not NMR, if you need out, let me know so I can try to find a sub.

NMR's will not be noted in the results.

Variant Rules

1) Except as noted below, the standard rules of play for Diplomacy apply. DVFG's standard House Rules are in effect unless otherwise noted in these House Rules. For me, that usually just means the way I handle DRAW proposals.

2) There are 7 great powers. The starting units are as follows:

B-BRITAIN (orange)
A Madras
A Delhi
F Bombay
F Hong Kong
F Singapore
F Aden

C-CHINA (yellow)
A Peking
A Canton
A Sinkiang
A Shanghai
A Manchuria

F-FRANCE (dark blue)
A Tongking
F Annam
A Conchin

H-HOLLAND (red)
F Java
A Borneo
F Sumatra

J-JAPAN (green)
A Kyoto
F Kyushu
F Otaru
F Tokyo

R-RUSSIA (purple)
A Moscow
A Vladivostok
A Omsk
F Odessa
F Port Arthur

T-TURKEY (light blue)
A Angora
F Baghdad
F Constantinople

3) The game begins in 1870.

4) CEBU looks like a body of water with islands inside of it, which is accurate. It is analogous to Kiel, Constantinople or Denmark in the standard diplomacy.

5) The blacked out spaces and any other unnamed space are not passable and do not count as borders. For example, Tibet does not border Nepal.

6) A land bridge has been added between Sakalin and Vladivostok. This is to prevent a player from placing a unit in Sakalin and not being able to be dislodged in which case the player could not be eliminated.

7) The Trans-Siberian Railroad

Even though the Trans-Siberian Railroad was opened in 1903, it plays an important role in Colonial Diplomacy (1870). The Trans-Siberian railroad (TSR) stretches from Moscow to Vladivostok, and can only be used by the Russian player. It is used to move from any space along the railroad to another one. Orders are written with the TSR as a "first target" for the move. The move of A Mos to Vla is written: "A Mos - TSR - Vla".

Units using the TSR may travel "through" other Russian units along the TSR. However, if a unit of another nationality blocks the way of a unit using the TSR, the TSR unit will stand off as normal at the place it is blocked. Example: Russia moves A Mos - TSR - Vla. China moves A Mon - Kra. There will be a stand-off in Kra. The chinese army bounces back to Mon. The Russian army stops in Omsk. Using the same example, if Russia also ordered A Sem s A Mos-Kra then the Chinese army would still bounce back to Mon but the Russian army would continue to move along the TSR.

Units using the TSR will successfully move to another space (with support, if needed) along the TSR if

a) The province is unoccupied at the start of the turn and the Russian unit moves with more stength than a unit from another nationality.
b) The province is occupied at the start of the turn, but is made empty by other moves during that turn.

Units using the TSR cannot dislodge occupied spaces or cut support of occupied spaces. This means that if Russia orders a unit to Vladivostok from Moscow and supports it, the Chinese army in Vladivostok will still not be forced to retreat as long as it holds in Vladivostok. It is still a legal order, since China may leave Vladivostok in the same given turn. If the unit stays, the Russian army will end up in Irkutsk.

8) Egypt and The Suez Canal

The Suez Canal allows fleets to move directly from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea, without first passing through Egypt. This is only possible if allowed by the player that controls Egypt. Egypt does not have to be occupied. Permission must be specified in the orders of the player controlling Egypt. This is no big deal if for example Turkey controls Egypt and a Turkish fleet in the Mediterranean moves to the Red Sea. But if another power wants to use the Suez canal, then Turkey (or the current owner of Egypt) must specify that it gives its permission.

Permission is granted by simply writing a support order for the move. EGY support ENGLISH F REDS - MEDS.

Egypt has the same function as Kiel, Constantinople or Denmark in standard dip. It is considered having a continous coast towards both the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea.

9) Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a British home supply center. It counts as a supply center for any country except China. If China is in possession of Hong Kong, it counts as a non-supply neutral territory.

Province Abbreviations

All land provinces are abbreviated by the first three letters of the province, except the following:

hk Hong Kong
kag Kashgar
kam Kashmir
mac Manchuria
may Mandalay
mna Manila
gui New Guinea
prs Persia
prm Perm
part Port Arthur
sig Singapore
sik Sinkiang
ubur Upper Burma

Sea Space abbreviations are less obvious, but there is a pattern.

All sea spaces which take the form Sea of #Something or Gulf of ##Something take the abbreviation so# or go#. For example, Gulf of Manaar is "gom" and Sea of Japan is "soj".

All sea spaces which take the form ###something Sea or ###something Gulf or ###something Strait take the abbreviation ###s or ###g. For example, Persian Gulf is "perg" and Sulu Sea is "suls".

All sea spaces which end in Ocean are abbreviated by their initials. For example, West Indian Ocean is "wio".

If there is no conflict, you may be able to use initials even if the sea rules say otherwise. For example, the Okhotsk Sea is "okhs" but "os" will also work.

Victory Condition

There are 58 supply centers. You must control thirty (30) SC's at the end of a Fall season for a solo win.

Orders

Please send me orders with the following in the subject line. "Colonial - Spring 1870 - Britain". Those can go in any order, but I really need all three things, just so I can make sure I got all my orders and keep them separate from my other forum games. If you just want to ask a question, the subject should be "Colonial - Question". This way, I can distinguish orders from questions and better be able to help you.

Draws

All draws must be made either on the most recent thread, or PM'd to me. They cannot be proposed until after the 5th build season. Draw proposals are only active during the season in which they are proposed.

Questions

Any questions let me know either via PM or posting on any current thread.
Last edited by attitudes on 08 Nov 2013, 03:26, edited 14 times in total.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Colonial Diplomacy

Postby Gooderian » 01 Nov 2013, 18:54

ME ME ME!!!

Btw, the section of the blind auctions lists the countries of Heptarchy as possible countries, not the ones from colonial.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
Gooderian

Standard rating: (1059)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby attitudes » 01 Nov 2013, 19:04

Trans-Siberian Railroad examples:

Example #1
    orders
      R army Moscow - TSR - Vladivostok
    results
      R army Moscow - TSR - Vladivostok ... resolved
Example #2
    orders
      C army Manchuria - Vladivostok
    results
      R army Moscow - TSR - Vladivostok ... bounce ... stops in Irkutsk
      C army Manchuria - Vladivostok ... bounce
Example #3
    orders
      R fleet Okhotsk Sea support R army Moscow - TSR - Vladivostok
    results
      R fleet Okhotsk Sea support R army Moscow - TSR - Vladivostok ... resolved
Example #4
    orders
      C army Mongolia - Krasnoyarsk
    results
      R army Moscow - TSR - Vladivostok ... bounce ... stops in Omsk
      C army Mongolia - Krasnoyarsk ... bounce
Example #5
    orders
      R army Semipalatinsk support R army Moscow - Krasnoyarsk
      C army Mongolia - Krasnoyarsk
    results
      R army Semipalatinsk support R army Moscow - Krasnoyarsk ... resolved
      C army Mongolia - Krasnoyarsk ... bounce
Example #6
    orders
      C army Vladivostok hold
    results
      C army Vladivostok hold ... resolved
Example #7
    orders
      C army Vladivostok - Manchuria
    results
      C army Vladivostok - Manchuria ... resolved
Example 8
    orders
      C army Vladivostok hold
    results
      C army Vladivostok hold ... resolved
Example #9
    orders
      J fleet Seoul/ec support C army Manchuria - Vladivostok
    results
      J fleet Seoul/ec support C army Manchuria - Vladivostok ... resolved
Last edited by attitudes on 03 Nov 2013, 23:20, edited 3 times in total.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Postby attitudes » 01 Nov 2013, 19:09

mambam14 wrote:ME ME ME!!!

Added to the interest list.

mambam14 wrote:Btw, the section of the blind auctions lists the countries of Heptarchy as possible countries, not the ones from colonial.

I have no idea what you are talking about....but thanks for pointing that out.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Postby luckythirteen » 01 Nov 2013, 21:01

I can't wait. I've been looking forward to trying this variant for years. Thanks for doing this Attitudes!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

--Aristotle
luckythirteen

Standard rating: (956)
All-game rating: (1007)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby dcaibal » 02 Nov 2013, 00:17

Put me down as a sub, unless someone wants to back out... ;)
First Karma Contributor: Pez

Ottoman Emperor (Not Sultan)- HOTW
Immortal Advisor to the Royal Family of the Union of the Aresian Empire and the Great Patallian Princedom- CYOC
Marty McFly wrote:Wait Doc -you're telling you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean!?

CmndrMaggs wrote:Well f*ck.
x7
dcaibal

Location: I'm a frequent-time-traveler. So try and figure out the wibbly...
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (886)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby attitudes » 02 Nov 2013, 00:29

dcaibal wrote:Put me down as a sub, unless someone wants to back out... ;)

Perhaps you didn't read the entire post? This is not first-come, first-served.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Postby I Love Italy » 02 Nov 2013, 00:31

I would be interested.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby dcaibal » 02 Nov 2013, 00:36

attitudes wrote:
dcaibal wrote:Put me down as a sub, unless someone wants to back out... ;)

Perhaps you didn't read the entire post? This is not first-come, first-served.

My bad... :oops:
First Karma Contributor: Pez

Ottoman Emperor (Not Sultan)- HOTW
Immortal Advisor to the Royal Family of the Union of the Aresian Empire and the Great Patallian Princedom- CYOC
Marty McFly wrote:Wait Doc -you're telling you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean!?

CmndrMaggs wrote:Well f*ck.
x7
dcaibal

Location: I'm a frequent-time-traveler. So try and figure out the wibbly...
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (886)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby VaeVictis » 03 Nov 2013, 02:42

Put me down as an interested party, please.
VaeVictis

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Game 5 (played as Game A)