Fall 1914

GM: Pedros. Winner: haroonriaz (USA)

Fall 1914

Postby Pedros » 22 Apr 2014, 21:13

This is facinating! Two retreats needed - US from Panama and Britain from GSE. Retreats please by 2000 BST (1500 EDT, 0100 Thursday PST) on Wednesday 23 April.

F14.gif
F14.gif (57.53 KiB) Viewed 1750 times

Britain: Palin (NMRs: 1)
Fleet Crt hold : Resolved
Fleet MAO hold : Resolved
Fleet GSE move BGu : Bounced 1-1 : Dislodged 1-2 : Retreat
Fleet CoB support Fleet MAO hold : Resolved
Fleet Uru hold : Resolved

USA: haroonriaz (NMRs: 1)
F (BEA) H : Resolved
A (NWT) - NCa : Resolved
F (Vir) H : Resolved
F (NEC) c A (Was) - Car : Resolved
F (SEC) c A (Was) - Car : Resolved
F (WIn) - GSE : Resolved 2-1
F (Del) - BGU : Bounced 1-1
F (ECS) c A (Was) - Car : Resolved
F (AO) - NWT : Resolved
F (Sar) c A (Was) - Car : Resolved
F (Gua ec) - Hon ec : Resolved {nc, but no ambiguity}
F (Mar) H : Resolved
F (NAO) - MAO : Bounced 2-2
F (ACH) s F (NAO) - MAO : Failed
A (NMe) - NLe : Resolved
A (Cal) - NMe : Resolved
A (Mex) - Oax : Resolved
F (GoU) - Cali : Bounced
F (Gir) - GoU ; Bounced
F (MOS) - (CRI ec) : Resolved 2-0
F (Pan) s F (MOS) - (CRI ec) : Dislodged 1-3 : Retreat
F (Tri) s F (WIn) - GSE : Resolved
A (Nic ec) s F (MOS) - CRI : Resolved
A (Ore) - Cal : Resolved
A (NCa) - Ore : Resolved
A (Oax) - Chp : Resolved
A (Was) - Car : Resolved

Colombia: Fortressdoor (NMRs: 1)
Cali S H Crt : Cut from GoU
Boq S H Crt : Resolved

Brazil: Thorondor. (NMRs: 0)
Ama s Ben-MGr : Resolved
Man s Ben-MGr : Resolved
Par s Ben-MGr : Resolved
Bah Hold : Resolved
MGe s Ben-MGr : Resolved
SPa s Ben-MGr : Resolved
RdJ s SPa to Hold : Resolved
Ben-MGr : Resolved 6-2!

Chile: GhostEcho (NMRs: 0)
A Asu -> MGr : Bounced 2-6!
A Lor S A Cuz -> Acr : Resolved
A LPa -> Cuz : Resolved
A CBo S A MGr -> SCr : Resolved
A Cuz -> Acr : Resolved
A MGr -> SCr : Resolved
A Pal S A Asu -> MGr : Failed
A SCr -> LPa : Resolved
F Ala S F Ber H : Resolved
F BER S F Ala H : Resolved
F CGU -> DRA : Resolved
F Chg S F CRI -> Pan : Resolved
F CRI -> Pan : Resolved 3-1
F GoP S F CRI -> Pan : Resolved
F NPO S F Ala H : Resolved
F SAO S F MAO H : Resolved
F SPO -> MPO : Resolved
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Retreats: Fall 1914

Postby Pedros » 23 Apr 2014, 21:28

Britain: F GSE - Dutch Guyana
USA: No Order; fleet Panama disbanded

Builds
Britain 5 SCs: 5 Units: Builds: 0
USA: 28 SCs: 26 Units: Builds: +2
Colombia: 3 SCs: 2 Units: Builds:+1
Brazil: 7 SCs: 8 Units: Builds: -1
Chile: 18 SCs: 17 Units: Builds: +1

1914 Builds are due by 2030 BST (1530 EDT, 0130 Friday PST) on Thursday 24 April

F14.gif
F14.gif (57.59 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Re: Fall 1914

Postby haroonriaz » 23 Apr 2014, 21:56

I have to protest here. I did not have the chance to send in my retreats. I had planned my moves for the Panama fleet to retreat.

Besides, the results are posted even before the deadline. 0100 PST.

What's with the hurry, mate?
More than half of Diplomacy games are ruined because players leave them half-way.
Silver Member Classicist, Cavalry, Captain CLD, Winner: War in the Americas, Joint: GoT I, 1792 Napoleonic Diplomacy 1, Zeus 3, Stew 2, East Asia 2, Loeb-9 3, Manifest Destiny I, 1905 2.0, Napoleonic E&C, Seismic 6
haroonriaz

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (933)
All-game rating: (935)
Timezone: GMT+5

Postby ThorondorNL » 23 Apr 2014, 22:24

MGe destroy
"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie."
ThorondorNL

Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1790)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby GhostEcho » 23 Apr 2014, 23:25

I feel like I have to support haroon's complaint, though it doesn't help me. The deadline is rendered incorrectly in PST (should be 1200) - and it also says "Thursday"!

So, the deadline was half an hour past when the map was posted, but haroon presumably thought he had half an hour left. Whether that would have made a difference I can't say for sure, obviously, but given how fast the complaint came up, he was presumably on and preparing to send the order in!
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 25 Apr 2014, 19:39

On 28 March, when Europe changed to DST, I asked Haroon whether I had the correct time for him in Pakistan (the BST deadline was 0830). His reply says:-
The converter says 1330 PST, unless the government applies DLS time here, which is unlikely with the current gov.

which is a 5 hour difference. Every message I have sent since which included a deadline gave the five hour difference, and this season was no exception. And the PST deadline reads "(Thursday)" because the day given for other time zones was Wednesday. Again, this practice is identical to the one I have followed in every season thus affected in every game I've GMd where haroonriaz was playing. It is exactly similar to my practice in relation to EST/EDT where the day of the deadline occurs on the day before it does in UK.

And I don't know what he meant by "I didn't have chance"; he had the same 24 hours warning (less 14 minutes) which everybody else had.

So I reject completely the complaint and GhostEcho's support of it. However, if all other players wish to allow him his retreat I am prepared to go with that - though it needs to be unanimous (and voting should be privately please - any public vote will mean that I refuse the retreat because it would be unfair on a player who wished to say No.) Until that's resolved I guess the Builds are on hold; and if thorondor feels this is unfair he can veto the offer.
Pedros

Postby GhostEcho » 25 Apr 2014, 20:25

Ah, see, I was assuming the "PST" referenced was US Pacific Time. Should have know the actual explanation was more complicated than that.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby haroonriaz » 26 Apr 2014, 00:56

Curiously, the time when I had seen the retreat phase already posted was not 0100 PST where it is supposed to be that time.

I guess, a conservative GM would allow for +, - 1 hour when you are not 100% sure about the time. I see that is clearly not the case with Pedros, which is fair enough.

Request for retreat withdrawn. Build Fleet NYC for the destroyed fleet instead. The order for the other fleet is already in place.
More than half of Diplomacy games are ruined because players leave them half-way.
Silver Member Classicist, Cavalry, Captain CLD, Winner: War in the Americas, Joint: GoT I, 1792 Napoleonic Diplomacy 1, Zeus 3, Stew 2, East Asia 2, Loeb-9 3, Manifest Destiny I, 1905 2.0, Napoleonic E&C, Seismic 6
haroonriaz

Postby Pedros » 26 Apr 2014, 07:33

Juat to remind you about my House Rules, which state that a) I aim to process orders as soon as possible after the deadline; and b) I am tough on NMRs. In retreat and build phases because they are normally simple and there are a limited number of orders they are in fact sometimes posted within a minute of the deadline. And we ARE playing speed deadlines. I am "in a rush" (to quote Haroon) because most players like to keep the game moving.

Actually there is possibly an underlying problem. When you replied to my original question Haroon you mentioned "PST", but checking the Converter now that isn't a Pakistan zone at all. Can you confirm please what your time zone is?
Pedros

Postby haroonriaz » 28 Apr 2014, 09:20

GMT +5 (PST is what it is known as locally. Though PST is also used for Pacific Standard Time, which could cause the confusion, but unlikely in this case. American PST is no less than 12 hours apart)
haroonriaz

Next

Return to Game 3