AARs

GM : Morg. Winner: attitudes (Saxones)

AARs

Postby Morg » 29 Aug 2013, 22:32

This is a place for you to write about the game. A big thank you to all the players who played, you were the ones who made this fun.

I don't think I've ever seen a game quite like this one before.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: AARs

Postby attitudes » 29 Aug 2013, 23:23

Indeed a bizarre game and a bizarre variant.

First, thank to Morg for once again running the Imperium Summer Games and doing a marvelous job. And thanks to the players for participating.

My sincere apologies to Alamanni, Vindali, and Franci. Blatant, blatant lies on my part during Spring and Fall 01.

I had side agreements with both Vindali and Alamanni that I would support them to VIN in exchange for support in HAI. I half-way expected both to renege on the deal (much like Pedros did with his misorder) but all I needed was for one of them to follow thru.

After that, there wasn't much to the game other than pushing pieces around the board until I got to 15.

True anecdote regarding Fall 01. I actually had orders submitted to support Vindali to VIN. However, during that season I was on a family vacation and my cousin just happened to wander over when I pulled the game up to look at it. Explaining the game to him and the orders I was going to do, he just looked at me with a funny face and said "But if you just take VER, wouldn't you essentially win? And isn't that the reason you play?" I changed my orders shortly there after. Ironic that I felt guilty about lying to Vindali but I actually would have felt more guilty about not taking the (virtually) guaranteed win.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Zadaron » 30 Aug 2013, 00:04

Thanks for running the game Morg! It's a really interesting variant, too bad the Saxones essentially won in the first year (Evil glare at the western players!).
Genghis Khan wrote:The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters
Zadaron

Standard rating: (991)
All-game rating: (1416)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby bindlestiff » 30 Aug 2013, 00:55

As the leader of the Franci, I apologize to all for not putting up a better show. As this was my first exposure to Imperium, I have no right to an opinion about it. However, I do have a question (which, I suppose, is just an opinion with a question mark attached) - is it just my imagination, or is the game essentially won and lost in the first year?
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1308
All-game rating: 1385

Postby Morg » 30 Aug 2013, 01:01

bindlestiff wrote:As the leader of the Franci, I apologize to all for not putting up a better show. As this was my first exposure to Imperium, I have no right to an opinion about it. However, I do have a question (which, I suppose, is just an opinion with a question mark attached) - is it just my imagination, or is the game essentially won and lost in the first year?

The game can easily be lost in the first year. I have yet to see a game where all 6 players survive, though a couple of games have been close.

On the other hand, it is rare for the game to be essentially won in the first year. This is the first game where a player did not have to disband any of his units by the end of year one. This is also the first game in which the eventual winner was clear by the end of year one. The other three times I have run this it has been a much closer game.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)

Postby attitudes » 30 Aug 2013, 01:03

bindlestiff wrote:However, I do have a question (which, I suppose, is just an opinion with a question mark attached) - is it just my imagination, or is the game essentially won and lost in the first year?

It can be, obviously. But see Game A for an example of a game most definitely not won or lost in the first year.

I'm pretty sure this game was an anomaly.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Game 5