*Glances Around*

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: *Glances Around*

Postby Master Radishes » 29 Jan 2021, 00:27

sjg11 wrote:
Master Radishes wrote:To be honest (and without really checking this assertion) I'm pretty sure in the hey-dey of the PlayDip forum it was primarily spammy posts anyway from a select number of witless people (e.g. me). Silly and fun, but hardly substantial stuff.

This is true and likely accurate.

Don't suppose you fancy a game while you're here MR?

I enjoy playing here, or more accurately with the people here. But games usually take too long to fill up and get started and my circumstances tend to change in the time that takes, so I am always reluctant to commit to a game.

(Unless you mean Dip in which case I haven't really been in the mood to play for awhile now, and I don't know if or when the urge will return.)
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Master Radishes » 29 Jan 2021, 00:31

One short-term solution to forum activity would be 'fake it till you make it'. Get, like, 10 people to commit to a plan whereby they take turns posting a new thread in a different forum each day, and the other nine must agree to respond to it and get conversations rolling. Others will join in when they see threads that pique their interest, and if it can be sustained for a few months it will take on a life of its own.

(Or, you know, maybe it wouldn't.)
Master Radishes

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby Justinrs2 » 29 Jan 2021, 02:02

Keirador wrote:Discord, which is so sprawling I don't think I could ever get into it on nearly the same scale.

I'm in discord servers with 4 friends and I'm in 'em with 10,000 people. Discord can really be whatever you want it to be, which is the whole appeal.

Anyways for the mafia section of playdip specifically (which seems to be the most active part of the forum by far), y'all have something fairly sustainable, with a group of a few dozen people all sharing an interest and playing regularly. I don't think this mafia forum NEEDS to grow to survive. You could, of course, advertise on reddit and discord and probably find some more people. It's real fun, I think you'll get a fair proportion of the people who try it to stick around for a while.
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby AKFD » 29 Jan 2021, 05:30

Justinrs2 wrote:
Keirador wrote:Discord, which is so sprawling I don't think I could ever get into it on nearly the same scale.

I'm in discord servers with 4 friends and I'm in 'em with 10,000 people. Discord can really be whatever you want it to be, which is the whole appeal.

Anyways for the mafia section of playdip specifically (which seems to be the most active part of the forum by far), y'all have something fairly sustainable, with a group of a few dozen people all sharing an interest and playing regularly. I don't think this mafia forum NEEDS to grow to survive. You could, of course, advertise on reddit and discord and probably find some more people. It's real fun, I think you'll get a fair proportion of the people who try it to stick around for a while.

It depends on Discord really.

I'm not into Discord the way all of my other friends are, and I would still prefer the forum over Discord for games. The size of the server also matters, that's why I love the small servers because I get overwhelmed by big servers, and I have had issues with big servers before that caused me to leave them.

Our Mafia Discord has like the perfect size for me, because I don't get overwhelmed and I get along with everyone in the server.

But yeah, we need to invite more people for the forum Mafia to grow.
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby bkbkbk » 31 Jan 2021, 15:03

Not sure I expected to prompt an existential discussion about the forum :lol:

I do think forums are just kind of out of fashion now, as others have mentioned, which is a shame because I think they're a nice thing. I don't think MR's "fake it till you make it" is a bad idea.

With regards to growing the community, like Justin I don't think anything needs to change for this place to survive. Admittedly I exist on the fringes a bit now and don't quite have my finger on the pulse as much as I once did. Maybe it would be nicer for those who play to have more people around so there can be bigger and more regular games. Side note: it's kind of wild to think back to the times when we had to moderate things so that there were never more than three (?!) games running simultaneously - it doesn't feel like there were that many more people around then than there are now, maybe I'm misremembering?

MR's problem re: games taking a long time to fill and start making it hard to commit is a common one I think. I have enough half-formed game ideas jotted down in various places that I'd probably be up for GMing a game if I didn't have to worry about still being able to a couple of months after kicking things off. More players would help there I suppose (as would smaller games, but there's only so much you can do with an 8-player game and they're often less satisfying).

How many people who play here also play Diplomacy or are active elsewhere on the wider forum? I feel like that was always the natural way people got drawn in. I haven't been anywhere else in years though, and I don't know if that's a common thing for others here.
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Fatmo » 25 Feb 2021, 09:27

Oh wow just found this thread lol.

sroca wrote:I was surprised that there wasn't more activity on PlayDips discord.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

There was a time a few years ago where it was very active. It's kind of died down. There are other more active diplomacy discords.

The playdip mafia discord is actually much more active than the playdip discord.

Also, I see people talking about there not seeming to be as much activity on the forums.

I think this has just kind of been a trend for forums in general over the last five or ten years. Forums just aren't as active or central as they used to be. More things like facebook and discord and stuff have made forums a much more niche thing for people to be active in. And they were already kind of niche.

There are some sites/forums that were specifically built for mafia, and are more user friendly/modern. They just aren't home haha. Since I played champs, during the time I wasn't playing here for a lot of last year, I played at a few different sites once or twice.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Previous

Return to Mafia