*Glances Around*

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: *Glances Around*

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 28 Jan 2021, 20:30

So this is the new analog format....
Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time...
Rolan A Doobie

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jan 2021, 21:51

So then if forums ain't the done thing anymore, what's fashionable nowadays?
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Keirador » 28 Jan 2021, 22:12

Discord, which is so sprawling I don't think I could ever get into it on nearly the same scale.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jan 2021, 22:17

Keirador wrote:Discord, which is so sprawling I don't think I could ever get into it on nearly the same scale.

I mean... playing Mafia on Discord is like completely different from Forum Mafia as well.

How on earth do you find a good group of people to backstab there?
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Master Radishes » 28 Jan 2021, 23:26

You know those glass-shattering moments when you read or hear something and you're like 'oh **** that's so accurate!'

Rolan A Doobie wrote:So this is the new analog format....
Master Radishes

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby Subotai45 » 28 Jan 2021, 23:31

Finding people is hard, yeah. Most of the ones I've been part of have sort of organically grown as you snag people's friends and stuff. This isn't markedly different than what we do now, but the advantage of discord is that for the younger crowd, they've probably already got a server or five. Adding one more isn't a huge deal, and they don't need to make a new account or go check the far corner of a random board game site.

The other option is to go somewhere like Reddit, or another central hub of the internet, and shamelessly hype ourselves up there. I've mostly seen mod discords there. I don't know how much they get, and a cursory search doesn't reveal anywhere we could really peddle ourselves. Again, we can also try this method with playdip's forum as our main base, but I think people are more used to discord.

I think there's a case to be made for using the discord we already have for discord mafia, pinning a link to playdip, and then periodically siphoning people over to the forum once they get attached to the community for "forum invitationals."
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-9

Postby Master Radishes » 28 Jan 2021, 23:33

To be honest (and without really checking this assertion) I'm pretty sure in the hey-dey of the PlayDip forum it was primarily spammy posts anyway from a select number of witless people (e.g. me). Silly and fun, but hardly substantial stuff.
Master Radishes

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jan 2021, 23:46

Master Radishes wrote:To be honest (and without really checking this assertion) I'm pretty sure in the hey-dey of the PlayDip forum it was primarily spammy posts anyway from a select number of witless people (e.g. me). Silly and fun, but hardly substantial stuff.

This is true and likely accurate.

Don't suppose you fancy a game while you're here MR?
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jan 2021, 23:46

Subotai45 wrote:Finding people is hard, yeah. Most of the ones I've been part of have sort of organically grown as you snag people's friends and stuff. This isn't markedly different than what we do now, but the advantage of discord is that for the younger crowd, they've probably already got a server or five. Adding one more isn't a huge deal, and they don't need to make a new account or go check the far corner of a random board game site.

The other option is to go somewhere like Reddit, or another central hub of the internet, and shamelessly hype ourselves up there. I've mostly seen mod discords there. I don't know how much they get, and a cursory search doesn't reveal anywhere we could really peddle ourselves. Again, we can also try this method with playdip's forum as our main base, but I think people are more used to discord.

I think there's a case to be made for using the discord we already have for discord mafia, pinning a link to playdip, and then periodically siphoning people over to the forum once they get attached to the community for "forum invitationals."

This could be an idea. Could also rejuvenate Playdip Live Mafia.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sroca » 29 Jan 2021, 00:11

I was surprised that there wasn't more activity on PlayDips discord.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1100
All-game rating: 1151

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia