Season 7 of the Mafia Championship!

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Season 7 of the Mafia Championship!

Postby Fatmo » 16 Apr 2020, 00:37

nanooktheeskimo wrote:You should use ALL CAPS for your usernames

Already made just a plain old boring Fatmo name.

Roro was trying to convince me to be Fartmo.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Fatmo » 16 Apr 2020, 00:51

I was considering just naming myself Icarium Lifestealer too. Or something like that.

Would have been a change of pace.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

Fatmo

Postby Nanook » 16 Apr 2020, 02:29

Booooo

I used NANOOKTHECONQUEROR last year. Twas fun.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Master Radishes » 16 Apr 2020, 20:46

Fatmo wrote:I was considering just naming myself Icarium Lifestealer too. Or something like that.

Would have been a change of pace.

UFO could be named Mappo.

Anyway, cheering you on Fatmo! :)
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Fatmo » 16 Apr 2020, 21:07

Vastly Blank.

I’ve thought about attempting to make a Malazan mafia game, but I’ve still never made a game and that would probably be a very complicated one.

Fatmo

Postby Master Radishes » 16 Apr 2020, 21:13

Fatmo wrote:Vastly Blank.

I’ve thought about attempting to make a Malazan mafia game, but I’ve still never made a game and that would probably be a very complicated one.

It would be exactly as complicated as you wanted it to be. There are so many characters, peoples, warrens, etc that you could make it extremely complex, or just simplify things to a few straightforward flavourful ideas.

I'd help if you want!
Master Radishes

Postby Nanook » 16 Apr 2020, 21:16

Yeah, was about to offer to help build it too! Loved the main books—never really got into the side books beyond a couple crimson guard ones, though.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fatmo » 16 Apr 2020, 21:20

Master Radishes wrote:
Fatmo wrote:Vastly Blank.

It would be exactly as complicated as you wanted it to be. There are so many characters, peoples, warrens, etc that you could make it extremely complex, or just simplify things to a few straightforward flavourful ideas.

I'd help if you want!

I think Nook and I chatted about this a while ago.

Lol yea I'd figure that to be true to just how complex the books are, the game itself should be chaotic and confusing with powers no one understands and several different factions with about 300 characters :lol:

(well maybe not quite ;) )

I need to finish the side books still. I read I think 4 out of the 6 ICE books. There are also two prequel series...one by each author. Except Erikson has stopped with HIS prequel series and is instead going to write the first book of a sequel series that takes place starting maybe ten years after the main ones. Apparently ICE's prequel series is leaps and bounds better than his side series from what I hear, but I haven't read any of them.

Fatmo

Postby Master Radishes » 16 Apr 2020, 21:40

I've read two? I think, but I have since made a conscious choice not to read the side books. They're fine, but there's something magical about a central, original series and I just know I'll never quite enjoy the side books as much. (I've never been a fan of the little winks and nods to original characters/events/etc that expanded universes resort to. I like to keep some of the mystery, if that makes sense.)
Master Radishes

Postby Fatmo » 16 Apr 2020, 22:09

Master Radishes wrote:I've read two? I think, but I have since made a conscious choice not to read the side books. They're fine, but there's something magical about a central, original series and I just know I'll never quite enjoy the side books as much. (I've never been a fan of the little winks and nods to original characters/events/etc that expanded universes resort to. I like to keep some of the mystery, if that makes sense.)

The side books are actually alright. Sure, they talk about stuff from the main series, but honestly, that guy was just as instrumental in coming up with the entire world as Erikson was. They both made it together years before they wrote any books. It's not like he's just some rando ripping off of the guy that created everything. So it's not just a throwaway side series like other series might have. One could say the main series is full of little nods and winks to the stuff ICE writes about. They actually decided before they wrote any of the books which material each of them would get to cover/write about in their individual series.

That said, the main series is clearly better lol. Erikson is just a better writer. But ICE is better than average. And both improved as they wrote more books.

The only prequel book I read was by Erikson, who wrote the main series. I read one of the two that are currently out. Will wait for the third and might just read the last two at once. I won't say what it's about in detail here, other than that it's about vaguely Kurald (and older) things a very very long time before the main series. It gives lots of new perspective on things that were happening during the main series.

Tone is also different in that prequel. It reminded me more of a classical or Shakespearean tragedy.

The ICE prequels are supposed to be very good, and revolve around basically the origins of the Empire and the antics of the Old Guard. In general, the main series you know what it's about. The ICE side books are more about what was actually happening with the empire other than the very specific stuff happening in the main series. Events and characters in both effect and influence the other.

I have the final two side books mentally in my "maybe I'll get around to that later" zone. So I may or may not read them.

Fatmo

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia