I represented PlayDip in the MU Championships. AMA

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

I represented PlayDip in the MU Championships. AMA

Postby Zoomzip » 26 Jun 2017, 02:35

Qualifying Game 9 was a vanilla 12:3 game. I drew town side. http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... ampionship

On D1 I helped correctly eliminate 1 of the 3 scum.
On D2, D3, D4, and D5 I failed to eliminate scum, and was killed N5.

This was an amazing experience, and I highly recommend it to anyone. I will try and post more detailed thoughts later, but feel free to ask any questions or offer any observations you have.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: I represented PlayDip in the MU Championships. AMA

Postby ccloughley » 26 Jun 2017, 13:07

I've had some experience playing mafia IRL, so how would you say that online differs? Aside from the obvious body language difference, how do communication styles differ in your opinion?
A deal is a deal is a deal until a better deal comes along...

Smile. Smile. Smile. Kill. Smile.
ccloughley

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1046)

Postby Zoomzip » 27 Jun 2017, 04:24

ccloughley wrote:I've had some experience playing mafia IRL, so how would you say that online differs? Aside from the obvious body language difference, how do communication styles differ in your opinion?

Online play is rather different from IRL Play. I'd say IRL play, from my limited experience, can really reward intuitive senses of who is deceptive and who is deceptively buddying/sympathizing as well. Forum mafia calls for much more reading and patience. D1 of the MU game had something like 2,000 posts, all of which had to be read. And that was even with a number of town players lurking significantly. Which means that ultimately the ability to piece together a long history of thought and analysis is possible, something much harder to do in IRL mafia.

Then again, I am probably biased for forum mafia since that is how I started :)

Zoomzip

Postby shadowface » 29 Jun 2017, 05:51

Hey Zoomzip, how do you think the players from other mafia sites compare to the players here? Are there any traits that diplomacy players generally have that make them different from other mafia players?
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
Nanook wrote:C O W A R D
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby Zoomzip » 29 Jun 2017, 17:20

shadowfriend1 wrote:Hey Zoomzip, how do you think the players from other mafia sites compare to the players here? Are there any traits that diplomacy players generally have that make them different from other mafia players?

This is a great question. Let me answer in a few parts:

1) The overall pace of the games is very different. We had 2,000 posts D1 at MU -- But the content of each post tended to be shorter. Consider: I am a mid to high activity player here -- I was considered low activity there most likely.
2) People resent having to read long posts. They will happily read multiple short posts, but they want them broken up. IDGI, but whatever, it took me some time to adjust to that style so that I could try and communicate with them.
3) Some of their players are quite good, but THIS IS IMPORTANT -- Many are not as good. I had a HUGE case of impostor syndrome going over there, and it took until D4 for it to wear off. In retrospect -- I should have been more confident. Any of our regular players are going to be strong competitors over there. If you go, representing PlayDip, know that you belong there. You are good. You may not be the best in your game, but you are valuable and you have something to say.
4) I expected everyone to play at a high level of effort, it being an invitational tournament of champions. What was shocking is not that there was a town player who seemed ill equipped, but many. there were multiple town players who felt like almost new players entirely. I did not expect that.

Overall, the level of play in the game I was in was comparable to an average game here. I imagine some can be tougher, and perhaps a few weaker. But I was not outclassed as I thought I might be. And others were not as strong at times as I expected them to be.

Zoomzip

Postby Zoomzip » 03 Jul 2017, 02:05

NEWS NEWS NEWS!

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... ost1325893

I have been chosen as a wildcard. Woot! Apparently I have done something right and hopefully have done you all proud.

Zoomzip

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Jul 2017, 09:24

Zoomzip wrote:NEWS NEWS NEWS!

I have been chosen as a wildcard. Woot! Apparently I have done something right and hopefully have done you all proud.

Congrats! Good luck in the wildcard game!
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Nanook » 03 Jul 2017, 22:36

Zoomzip wrote:NEWS NEWS NEWS!

Awesome! Good luck :D
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby condude1 » 13 Jul 2017, 11:18

Congrats! I don't doubt that you'll do us proud again!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Mafia