Season 3 of the Mafia Championship

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Season 3 of the Mafia Championship

Postby Keirador » 05 Apr 2016, 07:09

condude1 wrote:Has everyone migrated over to the mafia universe forums?

I leave for a month or two and find everyone's left! Two weeks left and then I'm free to join many mafia games at once!

I doubt anyone's "migrated." There just hasn't been enough interest over here to support a full game. Your cause and effect are reversed.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby GregorV » 05 Apr 2016, 19:12

mhsmith0 wrote:Don't worry, we still have games looking for people! You've VERY welcome to join.

PS I think part of the issue is that we've hit a slow patch on the forum. Not entirely sure why.
PPS Feel free to point and laugh at my early exit in my scum debut. I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids! (sjg/udc) :(

Too many students in university right now. A couple of the regulars have to go AWOL in Feb/March and Oct/Nov. Since we're usually able to support a 10 player game, and we lost 3~4 people, that leaves us at too short to run a game effectively over that time.
I got left with nothin' but a Penny, so I had to do it the Hardaway.

What is Mafia? It is a never ending time sink where seemingly trivial inconsequential passing comments are often portrayed as cast iron proof of guilt. Run away backs rather whilst you still can. For me, there is no hope.
GregorV
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1065
All-game rating: 1054

Postby condude1 » 05 Apr 2016, 20:35

GregorV wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:Don't worry, we still have games looking for people! You've VERY welcome to join.

PS I think part of the issue is that we've hit a slow patch on the forum. Not entirely sure why.
PPS Feel free to point and laugh at my early exit in my scum debut. I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids! (sjg/udc) :(

Too many students in university right now. A couple of the regulars have to go AWOL in Feb/March and Oct/Nov. Since we're usually able to support a 10 player game, and we lost 3~4 people, that leaves us at too short to run a game effectively over that time.

This^. I barely have free time ATM. Look at my last game on here to see how I play when too short on time. Here's a hint, it's not a pretty sight.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Keirador » 05 Apr 2016, 22:22

GregorV wrote:

I'm confused. . . why are those months particularly busy for students? When I was in school FINALS were the busy time, and that was like late November to early December for the fall term and late April through May for the spring term. Is the middlish of the term now the busy time?
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby sjg11 » 05 Apr 2016, 23:17

Keirador wrote:
GregorV wrote:

I'm confused. . . why are those months particularly busy for students? When I was in school FINALS were the busy time, and that was like late November to early December for the fall term and late April through May for the spring term. Is the middlish of the term now the busy time?

I know in my first year I had a lot of deadlines Feb/March time since it was the end of term, same about Nov/Dec at the end of the first term (coursework not exams). April/May's also busy due to revision (and coursework this year) and I know next year I'll have a dissertation in during March.

Basically coursework deadlines tend to congregate at the end of term and that tends to be during those times of year for me. Not sure about American term dates but I assume it's pretty similar.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby condude1 » 06 Apr 2016, 21:34

Keirador wrote:
GregorV wrote:

I think it also depends on the faculty a bit. I'm in Chemistry, so midterms and finals really eat up my time, whereas someone in, say, English, has assignments often taking the place of finals, pushing the busy time back a few weeks. My finals end on the 21st, hence why all my signups are contingent upon that start date or later.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby GregorV » 07 Apr 2016, 03:19

Keirador wrote:
GregorV wrote:

Well, I actually have 5 courses and only 2 tests over the entire term. (Screw engineering). Anyways, even before this unusual schedule, my busiest times are in the middle, when you're grinding without the end in sight. Sure, Finals are a crunch, but they're only a short crunch. Work is generally consolidated, well...now, for the spring.
I got left with nothin' but a Penny, so I had to do it the Hardaway.

What is Mafia? It is a never ending time sink where seemingly trivial inconsequential passing comments are often portrayed as cast iron proof of guilt. Run away backs rather whilst you still can. For me, there is no hope.
GregorV
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1065
All-game rating: 1054

Postby Thingyman » 23 Apr 2016, 18:26

Hi guys

Your representative has been scheduled for the game below.

Game 3 - May 9 (72/24 phases, American deadlines)
Agent Of Zion (Fever Clan)
Cmdr Spock (MyMedia-Forum)
Da Letter El (Smogon Forums)
Da Panch (marksforxcellence)
Danger100ish (Hypixel)
Dr.SaaB (MafiaManiac)
dyachei (Student Doctor Network)
Legato Endless (Giant in the Playground)
Magnificent Incarnate (Serenes Forest)
MD4L (Walter Football)
Minties (The Bell Tree Forums)
Secondhand Revenant (The Escapist)
SirDantetheFancy (Oro Jackson)
SM (BigFooty)
TheWhoDoctor (Pokémon Showdown)
UpsideDownChuck (Play Diplomacy)
Zeldamaster12 (Super Mario Bros X)

The game is taking place on Mafia Universe. You can find the specific subforum dedicated to the championship here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/for ... nship-2016

I want to talk about and spectate the game - what do I do?

If you wish to actively spectate and show support for your representative, then there are two ways of doing this.

1) There will be a private spectator thread on the site for each game that you may request access to. Simply register on the site and PM the user "Thingyman", and I will add you. Feel free to spectate games that your representative isn't in as well. These threads are published after the game completes.

2) We have a spectator chat on Skype, with currently more than 140 people in it. It's very active and fun, I highly suggest you join it if you have Skype. Just add me: thingyman. Please let me know which community you hail from when adding me.

None of these two chats/threads will be spoiled!

Finally, we kindly ask that you refrain from commenting too much on the games in public on this forum, as the other representatives will easily be able to find and read through this (as has happened in the past). I can't control what you do here, but out of respect for the integrity of this Championship, it's best if you don't discuss your reads on your representative or the other players or make comments that could potentially indicate your reads. I.e. even something like "oh man, our representative is totally being his usual self right now" is not good. Speaking very generally about what has happened so far in the game (so as to update your fellow community members) without commenting on it is fine though.

I hope this doesn't seem too strict to you guys, but the game can become very uncomfortable (and unfair) if there is discussion about it outside of the game thread. If you want to have your own private spectator chat, that is of course also totally fine and I even encourage it (I'd love to be added if you make one of these) :)

I wish your representative and your community all the best of luck for this season! :)
Thingyman

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 07 May 2016, 07:01

God luck udc! May you do much better than I would have done in your place (shouldn't be TOO hard ;) )
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Keirador » 07 May 2016, 08:16

Wait, what are "American deadlines?"
Keirador

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia