Season 3 of the Mafia Championship

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Season 3 of the Mafia Championship

Postby Keirador » 31 Mar 2016, 23:30

I very much appreciate the support, and while I'd love another opportunity to trot out the Faceless Old Woman, I'm afraid this set-up sounds well beyond my capacity to play. My limits seem to be about 48-hour days at the shortest and 13 or 14 players at a maximum before I break down and become unable to even keep up with the thread, never mind develop meaningful reads or offer worthwhile posts. Most of my activity in the sprawling Fable 7 game was basically just saying "I'm not caught up but I guess I should post something just to get some thoughts on the board." I reckon I would not make anybody proud repeating that performance.

I support everybody mentioned so far, but I nominate mhsmith, actually. Several nominees have already participated, and UDC is a great player but, like me, seems to be fairly meticulous and can get bogged down and behind if there's too much activity (my apologies if that's off the mark), and this set-up seems dramatically more time-consuming than virtually anything we've put up over here in our lazy corner of the Internet. mhsmith has shown the ability to read through, assimilate, and interpret information dazzlingly quickly. I've never seen anybody, even Crunkus, just casually go off and read through several entire games just as background research for another game. That enthusiasm/reading speed & comprehension/time/dark magick seems like an incredible asset in this set-up.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 01 Apr 2016, 01:26

I really appreciate the nom, and I think I'd be decent as town... but my scum game SUCKS, see

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... alad-Mafia
(townie UDC/sjg were all over me early, and scum-buddy crunk bussed me... but at least I survived one lynch found and shot the cop that night :lol: )

PS I don't always have time for extended read-throughs, and 36 hour days REALLY makes it tough for me to pull off, especially in the spring (which is my super busy season at work). The CTR game was an unholy combination of "I'm a newbie and super enthusiastic" and "work is really slow this week", which are things that aren't super likely to apply continually unfortunately :(

PPS If I continue to improve (crossing fingers) I might enjoy this in a future year, but I just don't feel comfortable playing at a high level in a large game just yet. Some day, hopefully.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 01 Apr 2016, 03:56

I'd be honored to represent playdip this year. I should be able to make the short game days work with my schedule and I've played a little on other sites (with decent success) so I have some idea what to expect
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mhsmith0 » 01 Apr 2016, 05:01

I think udc would do a very good job of representing our community over there.

And who knows, maybe I'll actually defeat udc someday... :cry:
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Postby Keirador » 01 Apr 2016, 11:04

UDC it is!
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Crunkus_old » 02 Apr 2016, 02:11

Go UDC. Check in on the confirmation thread there if you haven't already.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

All-game rating: (944)

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 02 Apr 2016, 03:22

Thanks everyone. I'll try to do us proud
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sjg11 » 02 Apr 2016, 12:28

Good luck Chuck!
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby condude1 » 05 Apr 2016, 06:16

Has everyone migrated over to the mafia universe forums?

I leave for a month or two and find everyone's left! Two weeks left and then I'm free to join many mafia games at once!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mhsmith0 » 05 Apr 2016, 07:00

Don't worry, we still have games looking for people! You've VERY welcome to join.

PS I think part of the issue is that we've hit a slow patch on the forum. Not entirely sure why.
PPS Feel free to point and laugh at my early exit in my scum debut. I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids! (sjg/udc) :(
mhsmith0

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia