Playdip Mafia Awards 2015- Nominations

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Playdip Mafia Awards 2015- Nominations

Postby sjg11 » 26 Dec 2015, 13:50

Hello everyone, sjg here. It's past Christmas so it's time for us to start looking at the Mafia Awards. Yay!

Now, newer players, don't be afraid to nominate people. Everyone who's nominated gets considered for Awards so don't worry about not nominating people because you weren't here for the whole year. The whole year will be covered by other nominators and the judges, who are also allowed to nominate people. If you think someone did something well in a game then put it down here. If you think someone deserves a nomination but not necessarily the award then put them down here.

Anyway, here are the Awards and their descriptions, as borrowed from last year's Nominations Ceremony:
Nominations

The following categories are available for you to nominate players for, each with a brief description of the criteria. You may nominate as many players as you like (within reason), for as many or as few categories as you like. Self-nominations are acceptable. Please nominate in the thread.

All nominations will then be considered by a panel of 4 or 5 judges who will award the awards for this year.

Best Town Player - This award is for the player who has performed the best overall in town roles throughout the year.

Best Mafia Player - This award is for the player who has performed the best overall in mafia roles throughout the year.

Best Overall Player - This award is for the player who has consistently played the best over the course of the year, regardless of their role.

Best New Player - This award is for the player who began playing their first game between January 1st and December 31st 2015, and has shown the most promise or greatest ability among such players.

Best GM - This award is for the GM who has been consistently the best throughout the year, both in design and moderation of their games.

Best Game - This award is for the game that ended between January 1st and December 31st 2015, which was most enjoyable, most interesting, most noteworthy, or otherwise best of the year.

Best Individual Performance - This award is for the player who gave the strongest individual performance in a single game. The performance does not necessarily have to be game-winning or even MVP-worthy. The game in question should be noted when nominating.

Best Team Performance - This award is for the group of players who made up the town or mafia group that gave the strongest team performance in a single game. The performance does not necessarily have to be game-winning. The game in question should be noted when nominating.

Most Entertaining Player - This award is for the player whose posts in the mafia subforum over the course of the year, in and out of game, are deemed the most witty, amusing, insightful, or otherwise entertaining.

Lifetime Achievement Award - This award is for the player who has achieved the most during their 'lifetime' in the community. The criteria for this award are deliberately left vague. Note that the previous years' winners, Crunkus, connect4, Ugluk and sjg11, are ineligible for this award.

Here are the links to previous years iterations:
2014: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=47607
2013:http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=45034
2012: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36500
2011:[url] viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26828
[/url]

This year will follow the same format as last year's, you all nominate players and then four or five judges will decide who wins which awards. My nominations will come soon. I've decided on a deadline of 31st January for nominations. I'll organise judges shortly.

Get nominating!

Regards,
Darth sjg
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Playdip Mafia Awards 2015- Nominations

Postby condude1 » 26 Dec 2015, 22:51

Just as a note, the following games are eligible:

Mafia CXLVI: Welcome to Night Vale - Town Win
Mafia CXLV: ii5: Civilization V Edition - Mafia Win
Mafia CXLIV: Back to Basics - Town Win
Mafia CXLIII: Fable Mafia 7: A Fable Mafia Medley - Mafia Win
Mafia CXLII: Medieval Mafia - Town Win
Mafia CXLI: The Cleansing - Town Win
Mafia CXL : Hot Potato Mafia - Town Win
Mafia CXXXIX: Royale With Cheese - Mafia Win
Mafia CXXXVIII: LN 5 - The Empire Strikes Back - Mafia Win
Mafia CXXXVII: A Shot in the Dark - Town Win
Mafia CXXXVI: Serial Absorber Mafia- Mafia Win
Mafia CXXXV: RPSLS v2.0- Mafia Win
Mafia CXXXIV - DoobieFest III - Mafia win
Mafia CXXXIII - Aim To Misbehave - Town Win (Technically the game thread was created in 2014, but the game started in 2015.)

I'll give my nominations in a bit.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 26 Dec 2015, 23:29

Best Town Player: Keirador (Tremendous improvement, and MVP worthy performance in at least 2 games as town.)
Best Mafia Player: Harb, due to his ability to blend in extremely well as mafia.
Best New Player: This is a tough one, EaH and Cardlinger definitely deserve nominations, but there were quite a few strong new players. I'd also nominate JonS.
Best GM: Who else? Crunkus.
Best Game: Night Vale.
Best Individual Performance: Keirador in Night Vale, Izzmund in Hot Potato
Best Team Performance: Town in Hot Potato, Mafia in II5.
Most Entertaining Player: 2 new players for this one: Ruffdove and JonS. Both players made the games they were in a lot more fun and definitely deserve this award. Keirador in Night Vale was also hilarious.
Lifetime Acheivement: Harb.

Edit: I have now made Keirador look like a crazy person below.
Last edited by condude1 on 14 Jan 2016, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby Harb » 28 Dec 2015, 21:09

Best Town Player: I'll echo condude and say Keirador has had a great town year. He likes to complain that his reads aren't always good, but he's consistently a strong town presence that does a lot to keep the town on track. He's got a solid track record of being an involved, participating member of the town in town wins (Night Vale, Hot Potato, Cleansing). Amantea had a standout game in Back to Basics, and Crunkus' catch of sjg in Hot Potato both deserve recognition, but Keir had a hell of a year.

Best Mafia: A little less clearcut here. UDC had strong performances in II5 and Royale with Cheese. Condude put on a hell of a show in Ladies Night 5.

Best New: EAH. Consistent protectee in Idol 5, despite being brand new. Active, thoughtful. Great addition to the community.

Best Overall: sjg, Crunkus. sjg and Crunkus didn't have the same distinguishing moments for one side or the other, but each time they play they're a strong case for best player in the game no matter which side they're on.

Best GM: Crunkus ran his normal set of innovative, interesting games with his normal impeccable quality. Attention to detail second to none. Roland also did great work as a GM this year though, running two quality Mentor games, plus DoobieFest and Ladies Night iterations.

Best Game: Night Vale. Nice, simple setup that people clearly enjoyed playing with the theme of. LN5, a well crafted game that played out well and also occupied a couple months worth of follow up reading time after learning about some of the great stories I was missing out on.

Best Team Performance: Town in the Cleansing.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 01 Jan 2016, 09:02

Best Town Player: dwiltseredu
Best Mafia Player: dwiltseredu
Best New Player: dwiltseredu
Best GM: dwiltseredu
Best Game: dwiltseredu
Best Individual Performance: dwiltseredu
Best Team Performance: dwiltseredu
Most Entertaining Player: dwiltseredu
Lifetime Acheivement: dwiltseredu
Dwiltseredu: dwiltseredu
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Telleo » 01 Jan 2016, 15:10

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Best Town Player: dwiltseredu
Best Mafia Player: dwiltseredu
Best New Player: dwiltseredu
Best GM: dwiltseredu
Best Game: dwiltseredu
Best Individual Performance: dwiltseredu
Best Team Performance: dwiltseredu
Most Entertaining Player: dwiltseredu
Lifetime Acheivement: dwiltseredu
Dwiltseredu: dwiltseredu

There once was a girl, very pretty,
Who found it to be quite a pity
That she'd long been away,
So she came back to say
Telleo found this post witty.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 01 Jan 2016, 18:16

Thanks Telleo, hope you're back to stay. Speaking of players I'd like to come back

Most Entertaining Player: Incogito (ii5)

Maybe if we give him an award he'll return to the site
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Keirador » 13 Jan 2016, 22:23

Proposal for a new category:

Best GM Besides Crunkus.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Keirador » 13 Jan 2016, 23:00

Best Town Player: sjg11. He doesn't give up and works hard to make himself available and knowable to the town. Crunkus. Those walls of text have crushed many a scum.

Best Mafia Player: Harb led us around by our noses in Immunity Idol, but was also scum in A Shot in the Dark and did such a good job of looking town that his teammate shot him.

Best Overall Player: This one's kinda tricky because it requires that the player has actually been both scum and town in a year, and has put in good performances as each, right? Who's even eligible for this? Harb, sjg11, Amantea, Izzmund, lecrae, condude, Blackswimmer. . . has UDC actually been town this year? I haven't been scum all year (promise!), Exiled and most of our newcomers haven't been, I don't think Crunkus has either?

Best New Player: This is impossible. Exiled, Antigonos, ruffdove, thopper, justy, and GregorV, all deserve this award, and probably people who have slipped my mind as well. Is Amantea eligible for this? Wait, is UDC eligible for this? Izzmund? Please brainstorm everyone who is eligible for this.

Best GM: Crunkus, obviously.

Best GM Besides Crunkus: condude. I really enjoyed his games this year, he has a peculiar knack for isolating a single interesting twist that fundamentally changes gameplay.

Best Game: Night Vale was just bushels of fun.

Best Individual Performance: Harb in Immunity Idol. He was a top townread for most players and basically controlled the lynch all game.

Best Team Performance: Town in the Cleansing. That was really a team win. There have been other impressive performances, but they were more or less traceable to one or two great individual performances. The whole town really did a hell of a job in The Cleansing actually working together, listening to each other, etc.

Most Entertaining Player: You know what I'm going to nominate myself in Night Vale, dammit. I think people stopped reading my flavor text but I effing gave it a shot. "Parts of him are expected to make a full recovery" still cracks me up and YES I LAUGH AT MY OWN JOKES IT'S NOT A CRIME. Also Crunkus as the GM in Night Vale. Also ruffdove in Night Vale. Also sjg in Night Vale. Also Amantea in Night Vale. Also Anti in Night Vale. Night Vale was fun, is my point.

Lifetime Acheivement: I'd consider Harb and condude for this. It's surprising to me that Harb hasn't already won this. condude has been a pretty active and capable GM, and without GMs we wouldn't be here.

On UDC's proposed "Come Back Here" award, I would strongly endorse Telleo. She'd be a shoe-in for Most Entertaining if she'd, y'know, played a whole game.
Last edited by Keirador on 16 Jan 2016, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby condude1 » 14 Jan 2016, 07:25

Keirador wrote: Harb led us around by our noses in Immunity Idol, but was also scum in A Shot in the Dark and did such a good job of looking town that his teammate shot him.

Quite possibly the only time in mafia history where a scum has fooled another scum into shooting him at night :D

Thanks for the nominations!

condude1

Next

Return to Mafia