Standard Mafia / 11 Players / No Power Roles

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Standard Mafia / 11 Players / No Power Roles

Postby ExiledAtHome » 27 Oct 2015, 04:00

Any GM's out there interested in hosting a fairly standard Mafia game (8 town / 3 mafia) with no special rules such as power roles, spies, etc?

Having just finished my first Mafia game, I've got an itch that needs scratching, but the current pending game set up by condude1 seems a little problematic for me with the spy role.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Standard Mafia / 11 Players / No Power Roles

Postby condude1 » 27 Oct 2015, 05:26

Sorry :oops: Normally I run relatively vanilla games, so my next one will probably be easier to play.

I probably won''t have much time after my game runs, since exams and all that. 8-3 in a pure vanilla setup is pretty harsh to the townies. 7-2 is generally a more even start I think, but even that can be iffy. My previous two games were 8-3 but that counteracted the mafia not having complete control over their nightkill.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby ExiledAtHome » 27 Oct 2015, 07:23

So is it the idols in ii5 that was supposed to balance out things for the town? I'd be open to immunity idols again. I liked that aspect of the game.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)

Postby condude1 » 27 Oct 2015, 20:45

I'm still active in II5, and there's a rule against discussing games in play, so I'll leave it at that for now.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby Crunkus_old » 27 Oct 2015, 21:09

I'm itching to run triple funk mafia. No roles there!

One, minor complication though.... :)
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

All-game rating: (944)

Postby GregorV » 27 Oct 2015, 21:23

Crunkus wrote:I'm itching to run triple funk mafia. No roles there!

One, minor complication though.... :)

I read the rules before I ever played here, and I still don't really get that game! :P
I got left with nothin' but a Penny, so I had to do it the Hardaway.

What is Mafia? It is a never ending time sink where seemingly trivial inconsequential passing comments are often portrayed as cast iron proof of guilt. Run away backs rather whilst you still can. For me, there is no hope.
GregorV
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1065
All-game rating: 1054

Postby condude1 » 27 Oct 2015, 22:15

LOL Crunkus, that game's one of the most complicated I've seen.

I still really want to play it though!

condude1

Postby Crunkus_old » 27 Oct 2015, 22:27

It really isn't, it's just a lot different in one fairly major way. All the information about the game is known, there's no roles, no hidden details, just something novel to deal with.

People actually underestimate how complicated a lot of "run of the mill" mafia games are. Anytime you have roles/items that people don't know about up front...it's getting pretty complicated in some easy to underestimate ways.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Postby Keirador » 28 Oct 2015, 23:46

ExiledAtHome wrote:So is it the idols in ii5 that was supposed to balance out things for the town? I'd be open to immunity idols again. I liked that aspect of the game.

In my humble opinion, I think Crunkus' games tend to be less mechanically favorable to the towns. Less room for error or luck than you'll find in other GM's games. In his recently concluded Immunity Idol, for example, there were far fewer immmunity idols available than in the past. In sjg's II, there were enough idols every day for half the players minus one to receive immunity. If that had been the set-up in our game, Incogito and/or yourself may well have been protected, forcing the scum to kill somebody who would have been a likelier mislynch. They probably still would have won, but you can imagine it going a bit easier for townies. A basic rule of thumb for a game's difficulty for the town is how many mislynches in a row result in a scum win. I think losing on the third consecutive mislynch is a relatively difficult game, as was the case in ii5.

One of the more common ways to adjust difficulty, besides playing with the town/scum ratio, is just making the night kill unsure. condude has run a couple of games in which the scum didn't control the night kill; in both games the night kill mechanic claimed a scum and in both games the town won pretty handily, in one game the town won purely mechanically despite an excellent scum team and very poor performance by much of the town, including yours truly. It's also not unusual for some townies to be given GM-facilitated superpowers to block a kill or investigate someone's alignment and get told for certain whether someone is scum or town. As far as I recall you find a lot less of that sort of thing in Crunkus' games. He tends to put the focus as much as possible on just having the players engage with each other and avoid tricksy night game maneuvers. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a Crunkus game in which a mechanical win or mechanically-guaranteed read on a living player was even possible.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Crunkus_old » 29 Oct 2015, 01:24

Keirador wrote: It's also not unusual for some townies to be given GM-facilitated superpowers to block a kill or investigate someone's alignment and get told for certain whether someone is scum or town. As far as I recall you find a lot less of that sort of thing in Crunkus' games.

That's just because I dislike killing puppies. Other people are more heartless in that regard. I just hate that sound they make right before they go...nevermind those eyes....

Keirador wrote:
He tends to put the focus as much as possible on just having the players engage with each other and avoid tricksy night game maneuvers. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a Crunkus game in which a mechanical win or mechanically-guaranteed read on a living player was even possible.

Oh they exist. I've run a pretty diverse set of games. But puppy killing makes me sad. Don't do it. Let them live. They're puppies.

This set up wasn't so bad. It's difficult with 11 players. 4 mislynches still resulting in a potential town win, that's a lot to ask for in a 11 player game.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Next

Return to Mafia