Mafia Scoring System

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia Scoring System

Postby sjg11 » 01 Apr 2015, 19:55

Hello everyone, sjg here. Anyway, I had the idea for a Mafia tournament a few months ago which I'm pretty excited about. And, as always, I welcome your input in the potential structure and scoring system for the tournament.

I'm thinking of some sort of Mafia Team Championships between different sites in order to try finding out which site is the best for Mafia on the internet. I think this would be a really fun idea both to play in and to spectate on.

My planned format for such a tournament would go something like this. Firstly, on advice from various people it looks like something in between 16-32 sites is a good estimate for the tournament. There will be 8 groups of 4 teams with 2 teams to advance from each group.

Within the groups each site plays each other twice. One game between each site will be at home and one site will be away. Actually I think an example might be the easiest way to illustrate this. Let's say we have a group of 4 between:
Mafia Site A
Mafia Site B
Mafia Site C
Mafia Site D

Mafia Site A will play all three competitors at home and all three competitors away. For the three home games Mafia Site A will be using a setup chosen by Mafia Site A hosted on Mafia Site A. This can be any type of setup except that it must be approved by tournament officials before being used. The official who will check will not be a member of a competing site (which kinda goes without saying).

Mafia Site A will then play three away games, one game against Mafia Site B using a setup chosen by Mafia Site B, one game against Mafia Site C using a setup chosen by Mafia Site C and one game against Mafia Site D chosen by Mafia Site D.

Within these games 3 points will be awarded for a win, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In the case of two teams in a group finishing on the same number of points, ties will be separated by Points Difference (to be explained later in more detail)

So far so reasonably simple.

From each group two teams advance and it's straight knockout from there in two-legged ties (using the same format as above) with games to be separated by who has the highest number of Points at the end of two matches (again this should become clearer when I explain how the scoring system will work).

Then eventually we whittle the 16 down until we have a Final 2 in which case the Final would be decided by one single tie on a neutral site using a neutral setup to determine the tournament winner. Does that make sense?

The Preliminary games would be 8 player games. Each site would have to provide a squad of 4 players and 2 reserves each. The Knockout games would be 12 player games. Each site would have to provide a squad of 6 players and 3 reserves each.

So, onto the scoring system. Anyway the basis for the scoring system is this:
Each player picks up points individually and at the end of each game the scorecards of each individual player are totalled up so that each site gets a total. Site with the highest total at the end of the game wins.

Points are awarded for the following and the following number of points are awarded to each player for each given scenario:
If a townie is voting for a Mafia at the end of the day then that player gains 2 Points
If a townie is voting for a Townie at the end of the day then that player loses 1 Point.
If a townie is mislynched then all townies, not including the mislynched player, lose 1 Point. All townies voting for that player lose an extra point.
If a member of the Mafia is lynched then all living townies gain 2 Points.
If a player is a member of a winning team then he gains 5 Points.
If a player gets mislynched then he loses 5 Points
If a player survives to the end of the game as Mafia he gains 5 Points
If a player is the only player voting on a wagon at the end of Day One in an 8 player game or at the end of Day One or Two in a 12 player game then he loses 2 Points
If a member of the Mafia is lynched then the Mafia all lose 2 Points
If a member of the Town is lynched then all Mafia gain 1 Point
If the Mafia all survive to the end of the game all of the Mafia gain an additional 5 Points.
If the two main wagons at the end of a given day are townies then the surviving Mafia gain 2 Points each.
If a player isn't voting at the end of the day then they lose 6 Points.
If you're a member of the Mafia and you're lynched on Day 1 you lose 3 Points. If you're lynched on Day 2 you lose 1 Point. If you're lynched after Day 2 then you receive no penalty.
If a site has used all of their allotted replacements in a given game (2 in an 8 player game and 3 in a 12 player game) and then has to replace another player then they have a 5 Point penalty to their score for each additional replacement needed.
If a vanilla townie gets killed on Night 1 then they gain a 1 point bonus.

Anyway, this is everything I have at the moment, I decided not to award Points for role usage as I feel that system may be open to abuse and I would like things to be purely focused on the Day game in terms of scoring.

By the way, to emphasise, the schedule for games would be very flexible (in other words I wouldn't be expecting people to play loads of back-to-back games, each site will have plenty of opportunity to fit into their schedules) and squads can be changed in between matches if a player is unavailable for a particular match. And maybe implementing a rule to stop players switching between sites in the middle of the tournament would be a good idea.

Any thoughts are welcome. You guys are the first group I'm opening this up to as a whole by the way.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mafia Scoring System

Postby simblanco » 01 Apr 2015, 22:01

...is this another April's fools post?? I mean, just to know...
Silver member of the Classicist
simblanco

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1256)
All-game rating: (1353)

Postby Blackswimmer » 01 Apr 2015, 23:06

Interesting. Seems like a nice idea. I'll post detailed thoughts tomorrow (when I'm awake).
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby sjg11 » 01 Apr 2015, 23:55

simblanco wrote:...is this another April's fools post?? I mean, just to know...

No, it was past midday here when I wrote it. And the rule is it needs to be before midday.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Harb » 02 Apr 2015, 01:58

I like the scoring system as it stands. Have you thought about running an older game through the scoring rubric to see how it works out? Maybe choose a pair of smaller games, 1 town victory and 1 mafia victory. If you wanted to fish out the pair I'd run one of them through the scoring for you. Or you could even crowdsource it down to a day by day breakdown
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 02 Apr 2015, 11:51

Harb wrote:I like the scoring system as it stands. Have you thought about running an older game through the scoring rubric to see how it works out? Maybe choose a pair of smaller games, 1 town victory and 1 mafia victory. If you wanted to fish out the pair I'd run one of them through the scoring for you. Or you could even crowdsource it down to a day by day breakdown

Yeah I've considered doing this. I might do it now actually I should have the time.

Maybe run two 12 player games and two 8/9 player games.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 02 Apr 2015, 13:02

Scoring System Alpha Test, Cavalcade of Spies- 12 Players, 9 Town, 3 Mafia- Town Win
Team 1 (1st 6 on the roster)
asudevil- 18
thewysecat- 14
Harb/windupbird- 5
Palin- -9
Rolan A Doobie- 10
condude1- -5

Team 2 (2nd 6 on Roster)
Telleo- 7
sjg11- 14
dodgy56- 2
Pelagius- -3
Robert Gesualdo- -5
Constantine072- 15

Looking at the two teams I'd expect Team 1 to win pretty comfortably if my memory of how Cavalcade unfolded serves me well enough.

Day One- Points Per Player
Team 1
asudevil- 4
thewysecat- 4
Harb/windupbird- -1
Palin- -2
Rolan A Doobie- 4
condude1- -2
Total: 7

Team 2
Telleo- 1
sjg11- 4
dodgy56- -4
Pelagius-1
Robert Gesualdo- -5
Constantine072- 4
Total: 1

Day Two- Points Per Player
Team 1
asudevil- 1
thewysecat- -3
Harb/windupbird- -3
Palin- 1
Rolan A Doobie- -3
condude1- 1
Total: 1

Team 2
Telleo- 1
sjg11- -3
dodgy56- -4
Pelagius- -9
Robert Gesualdo- LYNCHED
Constantine072- 1
Total: -13

Day Three- Points Per Player
Team 1
asudevil- 4
thewysecat- 4
Harb/windupbird- 4
Palin- -8
Rolan A Doobie- 4
condude1- -2
Total: 7

Team 2
Telleo- NIGHT KILLED
sjg11- 4
dodgy56- 1
Pelagius- LYNCHED
Robert Gesualdo- LYNCHED
Constantine072- 1
Total: -7

Day Four- Points Per Player
Team 1
asudevil- 4
thewysecat- 4
Harb/windupbird- NIGHT KILLED
Palin- LYNCHED
Rolan A Doobie- NIGHT KILLED
condude1- -2
Total: 13

Team 2
Telleo- NIGHT KILLED
sjg11- 4
dodgy56- 4
Pelagius- LYNCHED
Robert Gesualdo- LYNCHED
Constantine072- 4
Total: 5

End of Game Bonuses
All townies gain 5 Points

Team 1: 33 Points
Team 2: 30 Points

Conclusion: In general I think the first run through worked well. Team 1 in this scenario were punished (as they should have been) for Palin's poor play but were heavily rewarded by asudevil's strange ability to find Mafia. Team 2 were hit by RG getting lynched on Day 1 and by pel's mislynch.

However, there were a couple of kinks I think I might like to iron out. Suggestions:

Firstly: Bigger bonuses for getting night killed. Maybe a 3 Point bonus for getting night killed as vanilla town on Night 1, a 2 Point bonus for getting night killed as vanilla town on Night 2 and a 1 point bonus for getting night killed generally. Thoughts on this as an idea? 'Cos my big issue with this rule would be that players might choose night kill targets to gain points for their team. But then I guess that would harm their chances of actually winning the game which would have negative consequences for that team. Anyway, thoughts?

Secondly: A 6 point penalty for self-voting (actually this one's going to be implemented, I may reduce it to a 5 point penalty though).
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Blackswimmer » 02 Apr 2015, 13:35

What's worrying me about this is the possibility for people to game the system to get their team to win at the expense of their ingame faction. For example, if in an 8 player game both mafia are from the same team, surely their best move will be to coopt their 2 teammates to help them win on points, even though the town loses? I believe your intentions are to score based off ingame performance, but I worry that this will be subverted by people playing the metagame.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby sjg11 » 02 Apr 2015, 13:56

Blackswimmer wrote:What's worrying me about this is the possibility for people to game the system to get their team to win at the expense of their ingame faction. For example, if in an 8 player game both mafia are from the same team, surely their best move will be to coopt their 2 teammates to help them win on points, even though the town loses? I believe your intentions are to score based off ingame performance, but I worry that this will be subverted by people playing the metagame.

I'll double-check the maths but I believe that if that were to happen the negatives for the losing members of the team would outweigh the positives from following that strategy.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 02 Apr 2015, 14:36

Just thought it through... in individual games we get this as a scenario where both Mafia reveal in thread and get their two "teammates" to vote with them:

Team 1
Townie 1
Townie 2
Mafia 1
Mafia 2

Team 2
Townie 3
Townie 4
Townie 5
Townie 6

Day 1
Townie 3: Townie 1, Townie 2, Mafia 1, Mafia 2
Mafia 1: Townie 3, Townie 4, Townie 5, Townie 6

Let's assume worst case scenario and assume the randomizer (ties would be settled randomly throughout the tournament) kills the townie

So using the scoring system this is what we would get (I'm going to add in my proposals from the last post):
Team 1
Townie 1- -3
Townie 2- -3
Mafia 1- +1
Mafia 2- +1

Team 2
Townie 3- -4
Townie 4- +1
Townie 5- +1
Townie 6- +1

Townie 3 is lynched while Townie 4 is night killed (and picks up a 3 Point bonus)
Team 1 Total: -4
Team 2 Total: +2

Day 2
Townie 5: Townie 1, Townie 2, Mafia 1, Mafia 2
Mafia 1: Townie 5, Townie 6

Team 1
Townie 1: -3
Townie 2: -3
Mafia 1: +1
Mafia 2: +1

Team 2
Townie 3: LYNCHED
Townie 4: NIGHT KILLED
Townie 5: -1
Townie 6: +1

Total: -8
Total: -1

Mafia then presumably kill Townie 1 to pick up a bonus

Total: -6
Total: -1

Yeah this could be a problem, that Mafia team would gain a lot from the endgame bonuses...

It's the endgame bonuses (which I added after the last time I did the maths on this) which screw it up. Although I would again have to emphasise the chance of a win would still just be 50-50

So how about I reduce the bonuses to this:
If a player is a member of the winning team he gains 1 Point
If the Mafia all survive to the end of the game the Mafia gain 2 Points
If a player survives to the end of the game as Mafia he gains 1 Point

And reduce the penalty for getting mislynched to 2 Points

Meaning the bonuses for Team 1 would be reduced to 8 Points while the Team 2 total would be increased by 6 Points which would lead to a final total of:
Team 1: +2
Team 2: +5

So yeah I'll make those adjustments to prevent such a situation occurring.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Next