Playdip Mafia Awards 2014- Nominations

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Playdip Mafia Awards 2014- Nominations

Postby sjg11 » 30 Dec 2014, 15:08

Hello everyone, sjg here. Now normally at this time of year bk posts something telling us all to start nominating awards. Unfortunately bk had disappeared so you're stuck with me instead this year. Those of you at the back who are trying to sneak out at this point please continu.... I mean turn back.

Anyway, here are the Awards and their descriptions, as borrowed from last year's Nominations Ceremony:
Nominations

The following categories are available for you to nominate players for, each with a brief description of the criteria. You may nominate as many players as you like (within reason), for as many or as few categories as you like. Self-nominations are acceptable.

Best Town Player - This award is for the player who has performed the best overall in town roles throughout the year.

Best Mafia Player - This award is for the player who has performed the best overall in mafia roles throughout the year.

Best Overall Player - This award is for the player who has consistently played the best over the course of the year, regardless of their role.

Best New Player - This award is for the player who began playing their first game between January 1st and December 31st 2013, and has shown the most promise or greatest ability among such players.

Best GM - This award is for the GM who has been consistently the best throughout the year, both in design and moderation of their games.

Best Game - This award is for the game that ended between January 1st and December 31st 2013, which was most enjoyable, most interesting, most noteworthy, or otherwise best of the year.

Best Individual Performance - This award is for the player who gave the strongest individual performance in a single game. The performance does not necessarily have to be game-winning or even MVP-worthy. The game in question should be noted when nominating.

Best Team Performance - This award is for the group of players who made up the town or mafia group that gave the strongest team performance in a single game. The performance does not necessarily have to be game-winning. The game in question should be noted when nominating.

Most Entertaining Player - This award is for the player whose posts in the mafia subforum over the course of the year, in and out of game, are deemed the most witty, amusing, insightful, or otherwise entertaining.

Lifetime Achievement Award - This award is for the player who has achieved the most during their 'lifetime' in the community. The criteria for this award are deliberately left vague. Note that the previous years' winners, Crunkus, connect4 and Ugluk, are ineligible for this award.

Here are the links to previous years iterations:
2013:http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=45034
2012: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36500
2011:[url] viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26828
[/url]

This year will follow the same format as last year's, you all nominate players and then four or five judges will decide who wins which awards. My nominations will come soon. I've decided on a three week deadline for nominations which should take us to 20th January 2014.

Get nominating!
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Playdip Mafia Awards 2014- Nominations

Postby istott » 30 Dec 2014, 16:01

I've only been here a short while, so I don't feel I'm in a position to nominate for best player or anything.
Best new Player: I'd like to nominate Izzmund for this. Izzmund was up against great odds in the most recent game, having his right hand man converted to 3P, but did not give them anything to lynch him for in terms of scummy play, which is impressive. Even with no real powers, he survived to be endgamed.

Best individual performance: I would like to nominate Asudevil for his malachi play in Fable 6. Even though he was almost universally read as Malachi, asudevil still successfully pushed for lynched, and even resurrected the second most important town role to his team. I think he played very well, and worked his way around the accidental pm slips.

Best Game: I only really played one game here, but I've been playing on other sites too. This game takes the cake though. Even if I had grown tired of my other games, SJG11's Fable 6 was always there for me. Even though my team had no chance of a lone win after the end of the first day, I still enjoyed this game very very much.

Lifetime Achievement Award: After becoming the new moderator for the sub forum, SJG11 wasted no time in implementing many new ideas, including Rolan as Game Checker, and the new GD idea. These two ideas will greatly benefit the community, in my opinion.
If you want me to do something or have a question for me, please be specific. I have Asbergers.
istott

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Blackswimmer » 30 Dec 2014, 18:00

Best Town Player
TWC, on the basis of his great plans, and excellent scumhunting abilities.

Best Mafia Player
Sjg. I simply cannot seem to get a handle on Sjg when he's scum. Some brilliant performances, despite an unfortunate habit of getting nailed by mechanics. 8-bit and Buffy both spring to mind.

Best New Player
Condude, because I feel like he's been a great fun addition to our community, and, despite a tendency to do crazy things involving vig kills, is a good player.
Izzmund, who, despite having only been in a couple of games, has displayed good scumhunting skills, and excellent ability to look towny.

Best GM
Crunkus. The level of detail in his game designs is staggering, and makes for an excellent play experience, and his GMing is impeccable.

Best Game
Fable 6, no question for me. Good play all round, some very amusing moments, and an incredibly tense finish.

Best Individual Performance
Sjg in Buffy mafia. Looked totally town until Pagane got a guilty on him, then still managed to get me lynched over him that day. Awesome performance.

Best Team Performance
Scumteam in Fable 5. Superb performance, totally pulled the wool over the town's eyes, to the point where Zoomzip was probably the most trusted person out there.

Most Entertaining Player
Telleo for the limericks.
Crunkus for the flat-out hilarious trolling after he was outed as 3P in Buffy.

Lifetime Achievement Award
TWC. For me, no contest here.

Well, that took ages. :)
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Postby condude1 » 30 Dec 2014, 19:11

Best Town Player - Asudevil for his insane ability to catch most of the mafia really early. Whenever I'm up against him, the first thing I think is "Must night kill!"
Crunkus for his ability to singlehandedly make a town work together. Same feeling of "Must night kill!"

Best Mafia Player - Robert Gesualdo for continually distancing really well: See Fable 5/8-Bit. Also has a ridiculously long streak of being mafia.

Best Overall Player - How can you argue against Crunkus?
TWC/Sjg both are extremely good players also, and ones that I would cop investigate quickly. :)

Best New Player - Had Stoud still been here, I'd vote for him, but alas, he left (He and Crunkus were the only ones that matched me in the ability to post extremely fast and still make good posts.). Izzmund is a worthy candidate.

Best GM - Once again, how can I argue against Crunkus?

Best Game - Fable 6 was really well made, and definitely deserves nomination. 8-Bit also had me on the edge of my seat.

Best Individual Performance - Zoomzip in Fable 5. Crunkus in Arrested development.

Best Team Performance - Town in Arrested Development (Had I not had a lynch stopper, no townies would have died). mafia in Fable 5.

Most Entertaining Player - I think Blackswimmer hit the nail on the head.

Lifetime Achievement Award - TWC/Sjg
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 05 Jan 2015, 22:21

Hello all. Sjg feels more nominations would be useful and feels compelled to lead by example. He'll have his nominations in by tomorrow evening.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 05 Jan 2015, 22:48

I nominate Cavalcade of Spies for everything it could possibly be eligible for.
Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time...
Rolan A Doobie

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Blackswimmer » 12 Jan 2015, 16:00

sjg11 wrote:Hello all. Sjg feels more nominations would be useful and feels compelled to lead by example. He'll have his nominations in by tomorrow evening.

*Clears throat meaningfully*
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Postby istott » 12 Jan 2015, 16:06

Blackswimmer wrote:
sjg11 wrote:Hello all. Sjg feels more nominations would be useful and feels compelled to lead by example. He'll have his nominations in by tomorrow evening.

In mafia, days are actually 4 days long, so sjg still has a few hours.
If you want me to do something or have a question for me, please be specific. I have Asbergers.
istott

Postby sjg11 » 12 Jan 2015, 17:08

Blackswimmer wrote:

Sjg will get to this soon. He promises. In fact he will do it before he goes to bed tonight.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 12 Jan 2015, 20:13

Ok, Nominations. Attempting to encourage nominations from more people. Remember, you don't need to have been here all year to nominate, that's what the judging process is for. Nothing wrong with nominating more than one person too.

Best Town Player:
Thewysecat
Crunkus
Harb
Windupbird
Telleo
Phatality

Best Mafia Player
Crunkus
Harb
Telleo
Pagane
(would include Cat here but he hasn't played as Mafia this year as far as I can recall)

Best Overall Player
Crunkus
Harb
Telleo
Thewysecat

Best New Player
Izzmund
Condude
JC1985

Best GM
Crunkus
Rolan A Doobie
Thewysecat

Best Game
8-Bit Mafia
Reaper, Joker, Darling
The Cavalcade of Spies
Guards! Guards!

Best Individual Performance
Crunkus in Buffy
Thewysecat in Reaper, Joker, Darling
asudevil in Fable 6
Zoomzip in Fable 5

Best Team Performance
Town in Reaper, Joker, Darling
Town in 8-Bit
Town in Cavalcade of Spies
Mafia in Fable 5

Most Entertaining Player
Crunkus
Pagane
Telleo

Lifetime Achievement Award
Thewysecat

These nominations are not exhaustive and I'm sure there are plenty of players and performances I've missed.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Next