PlayDip Mafia Textbook

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: PlayDip Mafia Textbook

Postby windupbird » 05 Jun 2012, 15:42

Crunkus wrote:In the end this is a cost-benefit situation. You need to consider not just what the cost of such and action is, but what the benefits are carefully and with specificity. It is one of the things that varies GREATLY from game to game depending on the rules, and what works for one game does not necessarily work for another as a strategy. The only thing that really doesn't work is adopting a philosophy and applying that evenly to all games. This robs the town of a chance to see how you interact with the rules of the game (since you aren't really considering them at all in your decision) and likely leads to poor choices in many cases.

I really can't agree more with this. There is a definite cost-benefit game being played with reveals, and it depends on the rules of the game. It's easy to speak in platitudes about "rules on reveals"; it takes more thought to think about what the consequences for certain reveals are in a certain game, but that's the only thing that is important.

And to add to something Crunkus also pointed out: if you think it through and come to the conclusion that you should keep a piece of information under wraps, remember that decision throughout all phases of the game. If it's important to stay hidden day 1, it's likely important to stay hidden day 2. If it's important to stay hidden in thread, it's likely important to stay hidden in any PMs, especially if you are not guaranteed your communication partner is town. Approach things systematically, with clear reasons. You'll be less likely to fool yourself (or at least you'll be honest with yourself on how you arrived at a certain conclusion), and it will be easier to explain to others.

I think people often try to use reveals as a way of establishing trust with others. It's not a good way of doing it: it is lazy for town, and easy for scum to fake.
windupbird

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1173)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Zoomzip » 05 Jun 2012, 16:50

This is really excellent stuff and I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I am continuing to dump this information into the document, occasionally mixing the order of things. I think an editing pass at some point to make some points less redundant with other people's points is something I would need to do, so I may be cutting down some people's words a bit, but I am thrilled at a lot of the information people have presented.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Crunkus_old » 05 Jun 2012, 17:05

Zoomzip, stop apologizing for editing.

"Some People" recognize it is needed, and are thankful that you are doing such a good job. :P
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)

Postby Zoomzip » 08 Jun 2012, 20:24

I've done a quick edit to pare down some of the commentary, but I am also reading the Harry Potter Mafia Game with great interest, and planning on mining a ton of the information from the lesson plans out of that. Also, FWIW -- Whoever had the idea for a newbie game deserves a medal. It is just fun to read. Hopefully people don't mind if I pull some of that information and immortalize it (well, Google Doc it).

Zoomzip

Postby Firestorm94 » 21 Jun 2012, 07:25

I like this idea. I think adding tips for GMs or even making a separate GM textbook would be a neat idea.
Firestorm94

Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Bazza » 23 Jun 2012, 00:01

How about adding the lessons of the professors from the Harry Potter Mafia? Because there was some fantastic information in them.
Bazza

Standard rating: (1003)
All-game rating: (1004)
Timezone: GMT

Postby musashisamurai » 23 Jun 2012, 01:11

Bazza wrote:How about adding the lessons of the professors from the Harry Potter Mafia? Because there was some fantastic information in them.

yeah.
I was actually reading some of your game to see what people were saying to help yje players. My first game, Spirit or Ghost Mafia, was kinda like that, but it ended so quickly (literally, lynched doc day 1, cop killed night 1, lynched another townie, town loses) taht we got little advice
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Zoomzip » 23 Jun 2012, 01:25

Yeah, I think I'll definitely be incorporating lessons from the teachers into the textbook. I got a ton out of reading along in that game. Even though there is some stuff I think I disagree with.

I just got back from Chicago, so I should have time tonight to do some of this stuff.

Zoomzip

Postby musashisamurai » 23 Jun 2012, 01:28

Zoomzip wrote:Yeah, I think I'll definitely be incorporating lessons from the teachers into the textbook. I got a ton out of reading along in that game. Even though there is some stuff I think I disagree with.

I just got back from Chicago, so I should have time tonight to do some of this stuff.

Robert Heinlein, famous Science Fiction author, winner of more Hugo's than anyone else wrote:I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Bazza » 23 Jun 2012, 01:29

musashisamurai wrote:
Zoomzip wrote:Yeah, I think I'll definitely be incorporating lessons from the teachers into the textbook. I got a ton out of reading along in that game. Even though there is some stuff I think I disagree with.

Robert Heinlein, famous Science Fiction author, winner of more Hugo's than anyone else wrote:I never learned from a man who agreed with me.

A great point indeed.
Bazza

Standard rating: (1003)
All-game rating: (1004)
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia