General Domestic Issues

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: General Domestic Issues

Postby RedSun » 14 Dec 2019, 08:40

After a few weeks the Darius Initiative had become a thorn in the side of the Asterian invaders. Some stories got out that the Empire really wished hadn’t and so the Asterian Government passed a decree dividing Guatemala into three regions.
Zone 1: Good Asterian occupation, Darius Initiative Welcome
Zone 2: Asterian Occupation, Limited Resistence, Darius Initiative Welcome in certain numbers
Zone 3: Largely uncontrolled by Asteria, Darius Initiative unwelcome.

While some spectators were outraged stating that there was a lack of accountability in some 40% of Greater Guatemala the Empire refused to rescind this decree.

Meanwhile, construction of large defenses of Asterian caliber like Agaliath Towers around the cities have begun.

HFPE:
Santa Lucia, Greater Guatemala:

Sixty thousand Asterian soldiers overran this city of Santa Lucia. A large city on the eastern coast of Greater Guatemala. Then explosions shook the city as buildings fell over, toppled by the sinking machines called Roven made famous in the Shanghai War of 4492. It was an absolute mess, bodies littered the ground. Then an aerial bombardment followed afterward raining down on the city after the bombs stopped the Asterians entered and occupied the city. Light resistance by the Guatemalan Resistance Army (GRA) and their allies the Patriotic Front inflicted minimal casualties on the Asterians. They retreated into the countryside and at night would shell the city before retreating underground before the Asterian planes could find them.
Santa Lucia, the center of the Patriotic Front’s operations in Greater Guatemala had fallen but the Patriotic Front was not yet finished with them.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Subotai45 » 14 Dec 2019, 15:19

RedSun wrote:OOC: I assumed that because Guatemala is a developing country today and since no other country has been involved there in the five hundred years I’ve been here.

IC: The Patriotic Front has declared support for the Guatemalan rebels.

The Holy Asterian Empire is willing to negotiate with other powers if they are willing to be reasonable but will not relinquish its claim to Greater Guatemala.

OOC: We can have an agreed amount of limited troops on both sides and have a time table so the war doesn’t drag out continuously if we can’t make an agreement. Also I’m willing to discuss what happens here. My aim is I’m trying to make Asteria a sort of slow expanding evil empire for a few decades. A colonialist imperialist nation. So Guatemala was supposed to be something no one cared too much about but I was planning on doing something progressively more sinister to intentionally get a reaction and a larger conflict. I’m surprised by how big the reaction was to just this first action.
Me and Jon had a sort of Cold War discussion how we’d interact with each other through the decades with minor skirmishes.
I’m willingly to make an agreement but annexing Guatemala was pretty much a baby step in comparison to what my regime plans to do.
Also I have military numbers off-site on a document. But I probably have to update them and tweak the numbers a bit since I drew them up a century ago or so. Also guidance on realistic numbers would be appreciated since the variation in terms of forces on site compared to real military sizes is probably substantial.

1. It is the late four thousands. It has been longer since 2019 than the construction of the pyramids. I don't love the implication that developing countries are inherently undemocratic.

2. They aren't rebels, they're the legitimate government of Guatemala, and their purported allies should act as such. The international community seeks to negotiate with you, but it's not going to tolerate the annexation of Guatemala.

3. We can set up guidelines for a war in which you fight the IWA (I am not sending forces to earth, don't worry @Mobius), PCG peacekeepers, and the Cooperative simultaneously. Speaking for myself and reading the room, I think we're willing to agree to limited wargoals (i.e, liberate Guatemala but not "beating Asteria into an unrecognizable paste"). However, I'm personally not willing to handicap us in terms of numbers or stuff. We aren't invading you, we aren't crossing your internationally recognized borders if you don't make us, but we're willing to use force to throw you out of Guatemala and back where you belong.

Speaking for myself, we are absolutely not willing to tolerate a "slow expanding empire." You have enough land. You have enough greedy colonies. You have enough awful, awful domestic politics for us to be entirely unwilling for you to expand that terrible governance by force. You just launched a religious crusade against an innocent nation with no ties to your own, but which does border the UMC and Cooperative. You need to realize that if you're planning more egregious actions, the international community won't come close to tolerating whatever other aggressive crusades you launch.

With all that in mind, what agreement are you willing to make that leaves Guatemala independent?

OOC you need to publish that doc. We can review it for size if you'd like, but if you'd like to do it yourself, current size-management methods are cost-based. Calculate what the cost should be, see if that's an appropriate spending level compared to GDP, and then adjust as needed. The Mobian census is an excellent example, but the UPF one is a little simpler, so I'd look in those two places for inspiration.

You don't need to have elaborate cost analysis, but if you do, you can have a larger army (assuming your math is good). If you just have 10 trillion spending and someone wonders how you have 100m soldiers, without a budget it's hard to argue. If you have a budget, you have proof you can pay for them.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby RedSun » 15 Dec 2019, 15:42

Sorry, if your unhappy with that correlation between undemocratic countries and developing countries. The developing countries I’ve lived in have tended to be illiberal (democratic structure but in reality not so democratic) so personal bias there, admittedly I haven’t been to Central America though.

The HAE is willing to negotiate with one other country who represents the interests of all those opposing them.
Our communication will be via private communications.
Whatever deal is negotiated one on one will then be the accepted terms on behalf of all countries.
If everyone is okay with @Subs negotiating I’ll begin the dialogue.

OOC: I’ll look at those spreadsheets shortly.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Subotai45 » 16 Dec 2019, 03:19

The Federation has reached out to the various concerned parties, and am awaiting a response. The Federation is willing to serve as the representative of the international community in this instance. The government of the UPF advises the HAE to begin drawing up a negotiating stance, as the Federation is, to establish a baseline when the dialogue begins in earnest (assuming international consent for the Federation taking the lead here).

The Federation eschews particular national interest, and will work for the benefit of the Guatemalan people and the duly elected government thereof, in coordination with partners in Cairo and the FUN.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby beadsman » 16 Dec 2019, 20:05

In a shocking move, the rebels have managed to strike a devastating blow against the Latin Empire. In a previous raid, the rebels had managed to steal the schematics for the ground-based Astral Cannons across Ceona. In a daring move, rebel cells across Ceona managed to hijack 4 of these cannons just long enough to fire them at the flagdhip of the Ceonian Star Armada.

The massive Imperator-class vessel was nearly pulverized in the attack, and while it can be repaired in about 5 or 6 years, everyone on board the Dreadnought lost their lives when one if the reactors had its integrity breached, in addition to the hill breaches across the ship. In addition to the loss of the Imperator, 2 Hyperions perished with all hands on board. While most of the Ceonian military is fully automated, the star Armada is the only branch that still has human officers. As a result, tens of thousands died on board the Dreadnought and battleships.

In addition to these attacks, several high members of state had their motorcades attacked by guerrillas, and 3 were killed. In response to these attacks, the Emperor has vowed to kill every last rebel and burn anyone who dares support them. The extent of the rebel influence is much greater than previously thought, and over the next few days, deferral skirmishes broke out between rebel groups and small Imperial divisions.

The second Ceonian Civil War has now begun.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)

Postby mat.gopack » 16 Dec 2019, 22:49

[This is backtracked from either ~50 years ago, if going from when I sent in orders, or a decade ago - I don't think kingpie posted the results publicly]

Mattopolis News Network wrote:Turkish Government Toppled - Revolutionaries Victorious

The last seven months in the Republic of Turkey have been eventful - with many in the Union regarding events unfolding there with interest, as scandal after scandal rocked the right-wing government of the Republic. Political analysts in the Union had been eager to point out how this would embolden our comrades in our neighbor.

However, none had been prepared - or foresaw - just how emboldened they would be. Last night, a force of radical revolutionaries struck out in the capital in what has proven to be a widespread uprising. Reports note that hundreds of well armed, prepared revolutionaries kicked off their plan by storming the Presidential Palace. Scattered reports indicate that the Turkish army - scrambling to deploy drones to the urban areas most likely to contain sympathizers - found themselves under attack from unknown sources. Within an hour of their plan kicking off, thousands of revolutionary soldiers - equipped in military grade gear - had begun securing cities and strongholds across Turkey.

At this point, indications are that the bulk of the former government - including the President - are in the hands of the rebels...

Within 3 weeks, the creation of the Peoples' Republic of Turkey has been proclaimed by the victorious revolutionaries, with the nation solidly under their control.
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Postby beadsman » 17 Dec 2019, 06:41

"This is... Unacceptable."

The Emperor slowly turned around to face the shadowy cyborg in his office. "This rebellion is getting out of hand, and I won't have any of it. I think it is time to finally give the rebellion what they want: a war. There will be casualties, but there will also be victory at the end. I don't blame you and your agents for this colossal failure. No. Rather, I blame myself for not taking this seriously sooner."

"I need you to take care of something for me. There is an individual who is stirring the rebellion into further action. He is a spokesperson for these... Insects. You know who he is. If you kill him, you will create a martyr. No. I want him captured alive if possible. If no other options are available, however, I do understand that it is vital to silence him. If he is killed, however, it must be an accident. I trust you understand your orders?"

"I do, my lord. If I may, we have also found the location of the rebellion leadership." The Cyborg responded.

"Is that so?" The Emperor chuckled."Excellent! Where are they hiding?"

The Arbiter nodded. "Valparaiso, my lord. Our intel also indicates that rebellious sentiments are strong in that city, and the vast amount of support for the rebels comes from discontented citizens there. The city is, to put it bluntly, secretly in revolt."

"I see. I will deal with them, then. Go, and spread order where there is chaos." The Emperor then turned to his desk as the agent left the room, and opened up a small video communicator. He dialed a number, then find himself speakimg with the new Grand Admiral of the Star Armada, stationed on one if the remaining Hyperions. "Admiral, I know you lost many good soldiers in the recent attack. We have found those responsible, and you will repay then in blood. I need you to execute a Base Delta Zero."

The Admiral, visibly shaken swallowed before nodding. "Very good, my lord. What is my target?"

The Emperor's smile slowly turned into a sneer. "Valparaiso."
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)

Postby kingpie3 » 17 Dec 2019, 20:38

mat.gopack wrote:[This is backtracked from either ~50 years ago, if going from when I sent in orders, or a decade ago - I don't think kingpie posted the results publicly]

Mattopolis News Network wrote:Turkish Government Toppled - Revolutionaries Victorious

The last seven months in the Republic of Turkey have been eventful - with many in the Union regarding events unfolding there with interest, as scandal after scandal rocked the right-wing government of the Republic. Political analysts in the Union had been eager to point out how this would embolden our comrades in our neighbor.

However, none had been prepared - or foresaw - just how emboldened they would be. Last night, a force of radical revolutionaries struck out in the capital in what has proven to be a widespread uprising. Reports note that hundreds of well armed, prepared revolutionaries kicked off their plan by storming the Presidential Palace. Scattered reports indicate that the Turkish army - scrambling to deploy drones to the urban areas most likely to contain sympathizers - found themselves under attack from unknown sources. Within an hour of their plan kicking off, thousands of revolutionary soldiers - equipped in military grade gear - had begun securing cities and strongholds across Turkey.

At this point, indications are that the bulk of the former government - including the President - are in the hands of the rebels...

Within 3 weeks, the creation of the Peoples' Republic of Turkey has been proclaimed by the victorious revolutionaries, with the nation solidly under their control.

I confirm that this was judged.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Constantine072 » 17 Dec 2019, 20:45

kingpie3 wrote:
mat.gopack wrote:[This is backtracked from either ~50 years ago, if going from when I sent in orders, or a decade ago - I don't think kingpie posted the results publicly]

I confirm that this was judged.

After Redsun stuff I have reactions
SWG - RIP - Benjam Frail Radiant
(former fan) of GPG till Dungeon Siege 3 and Supreme Commander 2
ARM and UEF forever
Also known as Dragun101, and Schlitzaf on other forums
Constantine072

Postby kingpie3 » 17 Dec 2019, 21:06

That's fine, depending on how long the Guatemala situation goes on I can do some judging on Turkey.
--------------
Also, I'm going to be doing a rejudge of the initial Holy Empire invasion of Guatemala. While non-judged player invasions of uncontested white spaces are allowed, it's generally agreed that if there is opposition to the attack then it can retroactively be rejudged to take into consideration the actions of other players who want to get involved.

Because the Cooperative has territory that's near Guatemala and is an active power I think it's reasonable to reassess the Holy Empire invasion and give Cons a chance to react. I'll be reaching out to all the parties I know for a fact are involved (Cons and Red), but if there's anyone else who has a dog in this race feel free to PM me orders. Please remember, because this was an unannounced invasion I'll be treating it as such for IG purposes.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country