General Domestic Issues

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: General Domestic Issues

Postby beadsman » 23 Nov 2019, 20:23

The Emperor has stated his pride in the fledgling nation of Asteria for this step in the right direction, although he remains skeptical of the usefulness of religion as a rallying point.

He had also stated that he believes that, in order to ensure the continuing stability of the regime, Asteria should carefully silence all potential opposition. Otherwise, there is danger of a future coup. This would, if course, mean the systematic capture or assassination of all members loyal to the former regime. It's the only safe way.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby RedSun » 29 Nov 2019, 09:26

The Asterian opposition was not united.
In PCG Terra two factions emerged.
One lead by Seijin Gorou Hashimoto and another by former President Otgonbayer Gaanbatar.
The former group wanted to establish a mix of religious and parliamentary practices while the later was sick of religious intervention in Asterian politics.
Roughly 40 major members of Asterian politics and 80 minor members defected but in the small room they couldn’t even agree on a framework of government yet alone run an effective opposition.

Meanwhile, in the Holy Asterian Empire, Emperor Akiyama declared the Mediterranean, Martian, and Extrasolar Territories as colonies. He declared his intention was the expand the Holy Asterian Empire and bring the light of Janus to all people around the globe.
A short video was released on the official Asterian government webpage. A number of smiling children across Asteria, skips into showing them dancing, playing, praying. Then a zoom in on the holy sites of Asteria climaxing at the Temple of Janus. Then Emperor Akiyama and Ichiji Seijin Hirano saying, “Welcome to Asteria, the holy land where everybody is happy”.

The video was 100% factual and received 293 million likes and 0 dislikes on the Asterian online video service Kiwaku (only Asterian IPs can upload or view content on it). The Emperor declared that that was proof of approval of his government at an international forum.

OOC: Also if anyone can judge a brief diplomatic action that’d be appreciated. It’s real quick.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jonisilk » 29 Nov 2019, 20:53

Universal Exports long-term future saved by PCG buyout.

The PCG, which already had a 20% stake in Universal Exports, has now bought up another 31% - and a controlling interest of 51% - of the company, in a deal rumoured to be worth around 2.8 Trillion cc.

The move will see the company move it's headquarters from Asteria to PCG Terra, where the company will continue to operate as a subsidiary of the Corporation and as the PCG's primary import/export delivery service throughout the rest of Sol, while winding down it's Asterian operations as and when the expiration of existing contracts dictates.

Around 200,000 Asterian jobs are expected to be lost on the completion of Universal Exports withdrawal from the Holy State's territories. The Kaloyan's - the family that has owned and run Universal Exports since it's founding, are also believed to be leaving Asteria and repatriating themselves on Mars, privately selling off many of their Asterian homes and properties.

In addition to the PCG, it is believed that another substantial investor is waiting in the wings to purchase another large chunk of the companies shares, as they continue to stabilise following a drop of some 40% from their high of 1.7k per share, a little over four years ago.

(semi-ooc: once the current deal is done with this other investor, everyone else will be informed if there are any remaining shares available, and at what price)
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby RedSun » 03 Dec 2019, 16:30

PCG LEADERS KILLED IN COLOMBIAN ATTACK

On March 21st, 4915 the PCG was shaken with the news that two leaders of the PCG had been slain in a skirmish while visiting Colombia in PCG Terra.
The Presidential convoy was passing through crowds when bombs erupted seriously damaging the President’s vehicle.
14 citizens were killed and 27 injured. Among the casualties was one of the members of the board of directors and Atbash, a high ranking member of the President’s security detail. The President was injured in the blast but not critically.
In a statement from the governing body they declared that a thorough investigation would take place to find those guilty and hold them accountable for their actions.
Groups:
RedSun

Postby beadsman » 03 Dec 2019, 22:27

This just gives more reason to believe that Columbia should never have left the protection of Cyon all those years ago.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)

At a secure medical facility in Cali.

Postby jonisilk » 04 Dec 2019, 16:58

Meurig opened his eyes in the hospital bed. He couldn’t recall much about how he got there, only that the last thing he remembered was thinking “This is it, I’m dead”.

But he wasn’t.

“Mr President, how are you feeling?”, said a familiar voice at his bedside. He realised then that he couldn’t see properly out of his left eye, so he hadn’t seen Doctor Myonmi, as she was sitting in his blind spot. He had to turn his head all the way round to see her.

“Catherine, how are you here? Where am I?” he managed to say after a few seconds. His mouth was dry and as he sat up, he reached for a glass of water. He knocked it over… his depth perception was clearly off.

One of the nurses quickly picked up the cup, cleaned up the water and refilled the cup for him, while Myonmi answered his questions.

He was in a hospital in Cali. There had been an attack on his motorcade. A bomb, multiple casualties, including the two other people in the car with him - young Director Alaves, the newest appointment to the Terran governing body, and the presidents own security guard - the only reason the president was still alive was because Atbash threw himself at the president, shielding him from the blast.

“We’re going to keep you here for a few days rest and - ”. Meurig cut Catherine off before she could finish.

“No, when I’m dead, then I’ll rest. I’m not dead yet”, he tried to get up despite the protests from the nursing staff, but he was unsure on his feet, nearly falling over before he was caught by a nurse and one of his security detail.

“You’re too weak to move, your vision and balance are impaired. You’re staying here Mr President.” said an authoritative voice.

Meurig tried to focus on the face of the speaker, but he didn’t recognise him, even as he stepped forward to help the president back into his bed. It was the last thing he remembered before blacking out.

————

Four hours later, Meurig awoke again. It was nighttime. Nobody else around except for his security, a nurse who was checking his drips and the same mystery man from earlier, sat in a chair in the corner.

He waited for the nurse to leave. When the man in the chair didn’t leave with her, he realised this man was one of their own and had clearly outranked the rest of his security detail. It’s the only way he could still be sitting there.

“What’s your name?” he asked him. The man just smiled and Meurig knew. Asgard was a wonderful thing, it’s just a shame Director Alaves wasn’t in the system yet. His death, at such a young age, was doubly tragic because it was so permanent.

“You saved my life, thank you”, said Meurig.

“It’s my job”, came his reply, “and i swear to you, I will leave no stone unturned in finding whoever was responsible for this and bringing them to justice”.

“You have some kind of idea who is behind it?”, he asked.

Atbash didn’t speak, he just looked the president in the eye and gave a slow nod.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

jonisilk

Postby kingpie3 » 07 Dec 2019, 18:32

“The Jan'isi has offered her condolences to the Halloran family unit, she’ll likely request a visit to the PCG in the coming weeks.” Decrel began as he sat down to watch the holographic news reel.

“If you ask me she should beef up her security detail and ask EnSap* what the hell they’re gonna do about dead Martian presidents.” a hoarse voice said as the hologram was shut off.

“A show of force won’t do us any favors with the western districts. The guildmasters there won’t want to disrupt cross-border trade for an unneeded rise in the Consortium’s alert level, Director Xodral.”

“No need for formalities, Lord Director of Military Affairs.” Xodral joked as he motioned for a chair of his own to sprout from the ground of the office floor. “The fact does remain, my friends in the banks of Damaris and Surata are unsettled by recent events. We can’t afford to shirk our promise to contract nations that they’ll be secure in light of possible terrorist activity.”

“I don’t disagree.” Decrel said. “But I’m less concerned about public anxiety than I am whatever’s lurking in the shadows of the Phoenicians. Foreign agent or not, an assassination on their soil is rotten. So much so we’ve reached out to the governing body for a joint investigation.”

“Good to hear not everyone’s sitting on their ass here in the capital. The priests and clerics tend to forget that the company can’t be upheld by faith alone.”

“The only reason this company exists is because a little over 1.5 billion Yellow Martians* opened their souls to the cosmic zenith. Even a non-believer such as yourself can see that much.”

“The Cult’s ownership of the Consortium hasn’t been a bad thing, I’ll give you that. But it does constrain those of us who want to see its yearly earnings be as impressive as the amount of converts.” Xodral said, with a furrowed brow.

“You say that like the people are hurting for funds." Decrel responded. "Tying the Consortium’s commercial strength to its armed forces is tricky business. Taking a more active role in planetary defense could prove even more so, especially if the Jan'isi and Synod are rushed into it."

"Then one can only hope the holy men of Monte-shorre are watching these events closely. Whoever or whatever is attacking the PCG almost certainly won't stop there."
------
*EnSap- Entinate Security Apparatus, the network of mercenary forces under contract with the Consortium to defend its territory

*Yellow Martians- the colloquial name for the inhabitants of Central Mars, the Baunairi
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby jonisilk » 08 Dec 2019, 17:43

HFPE.

Back on Mars, Meurig's first day of his return to work, following the assassination attempt, sees him briefed at length about the investigation into the bombing.
Meurig - If what you’re saying is true, then it means we don’t have enough conclusive evidence.

Atbash - We have more than enough to act upon.

Meurig - But without the smoking gun - irrefutable proof that this ties back to the Holy Empire - my hands are tied.

Atbash - Yours might be, but mine aren’t.

Meurig - Your hands are tied too, at least so long as you’re answerable to me.

Atbash - Mr President, with all due respect -

Meurig - which is why I’m going to accept your resignation.

Atbash - Sir?

Meurig - I know you well enough to know that you aren’t going to let this go unanswered, so I’m not going to stop you, but I can’t be seen to condone the type of action you might be considering, so I’m willing to accept your resignation.

Atbash - …. thank you, Mr President.

Meurig - We’ll need to appoint a replacement. Do you have any suggestion as to your successor?

Atbash - I think Cai would be a suitable fit.

Meurig - I thought so too. As he’s your protege, I feel it’s only fitting that you give him the news about his promotion. Bring him up to speed on everything and make sure you’re in possession of all “personal items” before you discharge.

Atbash - It’s been an honour serving you Mr President.

Meurig - The honour’s been mine. Good Luck.

jonisilk

Postby RedSun » 12 Dec 2019, 14:33

IC: Emperor Hayato Akiyama stood before the proud Asterian Military before announcing his speech:

“Comrades, we have pledged ourselves to the just cause of civilizing the rest of the world and teaching them the way of Janus. It is our burden, as the true understanders of the world we live in to carry out such a mission. We did not ask for it yet, we must carry it out. Tonight on June 20th, 4920 we launch our civilizing mission on the land of Greater Guatemala (white space between Sybian Mexico and Mattopian Nicaragua) and will bring them into the expanding empire of Asteria.”

The Guatemalan capital was soon conquered. Without proper leadership resistance was divided and soon fell and the Asterian conquerors stood triumphant over their newly acquired territory.

OOC: If anyone would like to contest this right now, I’m cool with getting a judge. I’d appreciate keeping this a limited conflict between us with certain rules outlined and I’d appreciate it if we could have speed rounds so we could get it finished quickly.

IC: Meanwhile, Ichiji Seijin Nagisa Hirano has not been seen in public for a month now. Speculations of his disappearance has begun.

OOC: So the whole assassination in the PCG was agreed upon between me and Jon OOC. Me and him will likely have some more problems down the road, Atbash (the security guard) is going to become a major thorn in my imperial government’s side. We may be agreeing on some future planned conflicts between us down the road as well.

IC: Meanwhile, the Asterian opposition has made two separate governments.
The Democratic Republic of Asteria lead by Otgonbayer Gaanbatar who presides as President and leads a National Assembly of 60 members. Until elections can be held again these 60 members are set in stone.
The Holy Asterian Republic lead by Hikaru Kinoshita (Gorou Hashimoto died this year) which has the Holy Gray Book as the Constitution. The National Assembly consists of 60 members set in stone until the next elections which pass legislation and elect a President to serve as their leader. Unless that legislation contradicts the Gray Book then the Religious Courts cannot stop it.
Both are asking all foreign nations to recognize them while the Holy Asterian Empire says any country that recognizes one of these governments they will sever all ties with.
Groups:
RedSun

Postby Subotai45 » 12 Dec 2019, 17:28

The Federation recognizes the Democratic Republic of Asteria, and recognizes the independent governments of Central America.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country