General Domestic Issues

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: Zander, chrisman39, mat.gopack

Re: General Domestic Issues

Postby beadsman » 02 Jul 2019, 03:54

Strangely enough, the Latin Empire actually partially agrees with the Communists for once. Such reckless and total abolition undermines the entire principle of select government regulation. Experience has shown that such needlessly inflame acts do nothing to increase national security. In fact, such public demonstrations show the world just what a sloppily managed police force and such abstract and unrestricted regulation can lead to. Regulating the populace for the sake of it is not even remotely productive. Rather, it destroys and undermines the fundamentals of order upon which a strong government must be built. It is truly an embarrassing blot on any nations record.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby RedSun » 02 Jul 2019, 05:09

kingpie3 wrote:The Jan'isi of the Consortium's Entinates would like to make it known that there are no prohibitions on gay marriage, alcoholic beverages, abortion, or divorce in the Valajis Cula, the holy book of the Janisist faith. Such things are very much normalized in the Entinates and a part of the significant freedoms provided to citizens. Janisism is one of the most liberal faiths in the entirety of Sol's history and the beliefs of one sect do not necessarily reflect the conventional positions of the faith's creators or modern practitioners.

OOC: I’m basing this off the previous PM and your post on page 7. I’m going to assume that is what the Valajis Cula says

The Valajis Cula is a book which teaches about the balance of life-death and the goals that Janisists strive to achieve: cosmic zenith. “In order to develop the spirit while in the process maintaining the cosmic zenith within oneself and community, one must follow the Circuits of Luminescence, regulations and ways of life”. These are regulations and ways of life that The Holy State believe is necessary to achieve these goals. As you said “few things are concrete and much is open for debate”. Therefore, based upon our values and goals we believe in order to create a state of harmony these regulations are necessary. The Holy State is not complete and plans to modify some of these regulations in accordance to our faith but in order to maintain equilibrium between chaos and order these have been put in place.
The Latin Empire stating that we should prevent people from protesting the legislation and it is an embarrassment to our state is false. We allow debate and public dispute and our law enforcement did a good job in preventing anyone from getting hurt. A perfect balance of chaos and order, no punishments for those who protest peacefully. A maintainance of chaos. We are not fascists as West Africa stated without any factual basis. While it is true we are undemocratic in the traditional sense, we aim to set a higher standard in the Holy State that reflects the values taught by Janisism and truly reflect the will of the people.
Currently the Seijin are discussing ways that we can improve our responsiveness to the people’s desires while still maintaining the faith based government system that does not permit subversive and vile behavior.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby RedSun » 04 Jul 2019, 11:39

Declaration #23
August 3rd, 4838

Other beverages are allowed only to be served by those given a permit outside of “Holy Zones”.
Every major city’s urban zone is designated a “Holy Zone”

Declaration #24
September 8th, 4839

Local governance. Every temple is run by a Saishi. Those who regularly attend the temple may upon the death or promotion of the Saishi elect their chapters new Saishi. In order to qualify for eligibility the Saishi must have been accepted and graduated one of the Educational Paths at the official Provincial or an official National Daigaku and have attended the chapter in question.
The week following the death of the Saishi then the chapters assembly (consisting of 10 handpicked members of the Saishi) shall announce the eligible candidates and then the eligible congregation members shall vote for their new Saishi in a single round vote.

Declaration #25
September 10th, 4839

Establishment of official Daigaku in every province.
Daigaku are places of learning and are run by an Akusha.
Each Daigaku is responsible of accepting at least one student from every chapter and to try to get it relatively balanced in terms of the paths that they would like to follow.
A student must study at a Daigaku for a number of years to complete the course to be eligible for the role of Saishi.

Declaration #26
September 16th, 4839

The Governor has been renamed the Kurerikku.
The Kurerikku is nominate by a majority vote the Shisai No Taikai. A body of all the Saishi in the province vote until one candidate has the support of the majority. This candidate is nominated to be the Kurerikku but must be approved by 7 Seijin or the Ichiji Seijin.
If approved the Kurerikku may serve until death, promotion or removal by 7 Seijin or the Ichiji Seijin.

Declaration #27
November 20th, 4839

The Kurerikku has the ability to appoint Akusha to all the Provincial Daigaku and they serve at his discretion.
The Kurerikku may also call together the Shisai No Taikai to address community issues.

Declaration #28
November 23rd, 4839

Only Janisists may be accepted to the Daigaku.

Declaration #23 was passed in response to protesters. However, bans on divorce, abortion and homosexuality remain in place.

Reforms in terms of local governance has been passed allowing for the people to elect spiritual leaders of their own congregation.
Provincial leaders are elected indirectly through the congregation’s Saishi.
Groups:
RedSun

Postby beadsman » 04 Jul 2019, 15:00

OOC: Wow, you're actually managing to be worse than Ceona.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

beadsman

Postby jonisilk » 04 Jul 2019, 20:29

Another conversation between two members of the governing body, on historical patterns and the current Asterian situation (names of current governing body members have been replaced with their Initial, to preserve anonymity).

H - I’m very concerned about the whole route this Holy State is going down. They seem a little extremist for my liking.

S - I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Every now and then we get a new wave of religious fervour. Do you remember when the Janisi first appeared?

H - How could I? I’m only 100 years old S——, I’ve not done the rebirth thing yet. Not actually sure I would if they did offer it to me.

S - Of course, but they will offer it to you. After all, you’re the youngest member of the governing body, and if GM or President opens up, you’d have my vote. Careca is over 200 now. We need to put our best candidates to the fore and you’re certainly one of them.

H - You know I have no interest being president. I just want to do something my parents would be proud of, and I'm already doing that

S - You have no idea how proud they are…. and the fact you don’t want it just means you know you’re not ready yet, but you still have so much potential to achieve, even if you don’t make president, so you’ll definitely get the rebirth offer, just clock in another couple of decades and it all comes as a standard part of your retirement package.

H - But what would I do? I mean, I know after rebirth, I could never serve on the governing body again.

S - I was speaking with T—— the other day, about Uriel ap Idris. I don’t suppose it’s much of a secret that he went to South America, but do you know what he’s been up to since he died?

H - I do know he had a big hand in Careca, becoming our first Terran born President, so I imagine he’s still placed somewhere in the Corporation.

S - His word still carries weight, but he’s not a part of the Corporation. He never did come back to us.

H - So what’s he doing?

S - Whatever he wanted to. In his case, he moved to the Free City and Founded MBS.

H - Manaus Business School?

S - Manaus was an exciting opportunity to play a big part in the future of South America. The Brazilian civil war happened during his tenure and he felt that the place his second life could best be served was in service to the people of that continent, so that’s where he went.

H - Founded a business school. That actually makes sense given what I’ve heard about him.

S - Then there’s Anumah Sacian, who did the same thing when she became the first president re-birthed. She went to South America and raised the family she’d sacrificed having first time around.

H - I never knew that.

S - Sophia Ellison entered the Craft and become a Teller, touring Mars and building Stadia. The point is, you’re not beholden to the Corporation, and while we’d love to know we’ve got you tied down for the rest of this life, you’re not obliged to serve us in your next, unless you want to, But you are right, you wouldn’t be able to serve on the governing body again.

H - Anyway, what were you were saying about when the Janisi’s first appeared?

S - Oh that, yes, they were demanding the extradition of former criminals, like some of your ancestors on your father side, you know, the Baunari ones.

H - Yeah, my paternal great, great granddad was a Ross and he told me about this. didn’t they used to be criminal underworld figures?

S - One of the largest families as I remember, but when Baunari culture came to Mars, what used to be their black market was given a pass by our own laws as long as they were properly regulated, and so the third wave of migration was the crime syndicates, as they moved gambling, prostitution and narcotics interests into the PCG and legitimised themselves.

H - That was one of the big contributors to the financial collapse they went through a century or so later, wasn't it?

S - Precisely. Then the faith comes along and declares the sins of the fathers should be paid by their offspring, many generations removed. All very fire-and-brimstone at the start.

H - So what happened?

S - We told them no. However, we did concede that if they could provide evidence of current criminal actions or behaviours that satisfied our own standards for prosecution, then we would prosecute them under own legal system and carry out their sentences here.

H - So how many were sentenced?

S - Only a dozen or so, but mostly only because they were willing to throw themselves on our mercy rather than those of the fundamentalists. They knew there was no death penalty with us, whereas it was a near certainty if we’d have extradited them.

H - I couldn’t imagine the current Janisi on Mars ever calling for executions.

S - Of course not. They’ve evolved, but movements like those in Asteria right now, they are born of the same fire, and like fire they seek to purify in a dangerous and often destructive way. Given a little time, that fire will die down and we’ll see some moderation in their thinking.

H - I hope so. It’s one of the reasons I’m glad I was never raised with religion, just the Craft. I’ve never had to abandon my principles for something so blind as faith.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby kingpie3 » 04 Jul 2019, 21:32

RedSun wrote:
kingpie3 wrote:The Jan'isi of the Consortium's Entinates would like to make it known that there are no prohibitions on gay marriage, alcoholic beverages, abortion, or divorce in the Valajis Cula, the holy book of the Janisist faith. Such things are very much normalized in the Entinates and a part of the significant freedoms provided to citizens. Janisism is one of the most liberal faiths in the entirety of Sol's history and the beliefs of one sect do not necessarily reflect the conventional positions of the faith's creators or modern practitioners.

OOC: I’m basing this off the previous PM and your post on page 7. I’m going to assume that is what the Valajis Cula says

The Valajis Cula is a book which teaches about the balance of life-death and the goals that Janisists strive to achieve: cosmic zenith. “In order to develop the spirit while in the process maintaining the cosmic zenith within oneself and community, one must follow the Circuits of Luminescence, regulations and ways of life”. These are regulations and ways of life that The Holy State believe is necessary to achieve these goals. As you said “few things are concrete and much is open for debate”. Therefore, based upon our values and goals we believe in order to create a state of harmony these regulations are necessary. The Holy State is not complete and plans to modify some of these regulations in accordance to our faith but in order to maintain equilibrium between chaos and order these have been put in place.
The Latin Empire stating that we should prevent people from protesting the legislation and it is an embarrassment to our state is false. We allow debate and public dispute and our law enforcement did a good job in preventing anyone from getting hurt. A perfect balance of chaos and order, no punishments for those who protest peacefully. A maintainance of chaos. We are not fascists as West Africa stated without any factual basis. While it is true we are undemocratic in the traditional sense, we aim to set a higher standard in the Holy State that reflects the values taught by Janisism and truly reflect the will of the people.
Currently the Seijin are discussing ways that we can improve our responsiveness to the people’s desires while still maintaining the faith based government system that does not permit subversive and vile behavior.

OOC: I understand this is the Asterian variation of the faith, I just wanted to clarify that most other variations, including the "original" practiced in the Entinates, does not have those same restrictions. For example, with regards to a ban on gay marriage, Consortium scholars would view it as actually causing more cosmic discord because you would be forcing people to suppress their truth in a spiritual ecosystem. If your neighbor lives a lie or must prevent themselves from acting on their natural desires, that causes harm to the collective soul of the entire community and nation. This is why the faith is liberal on most sexual and personal matters (insofar as they don't outright offend the Espers).

Faith is inseparable from community because the end goal of Janisists is the restoration of the original soul, which can only be reached when every individual soul achieves the desired channels of "purity, purpose, and pleasure" while adhering to the Circuits. Not saying that's the only way to look at it, because if Asterians think gay marriage is so chaotic that it must be banned, that's their perspective. But it is radically out of line with most of the other cults across the known universe and probably wouldn't have much backing in the original holy text or subsequent papers written about the faith.

Same goes for drinks and drugs, as both are very important to various rituals and ceremonies. Also abortion, because bringing kids into a world that's not spiritually prepared for their presence is seen in poor taste. And divorce, where the same argument of living in truth applies.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby kingpie3 » 04 Jul 2019, 21:38

jonisilk wrote:Another conversation between two members of the governing body, on historical patterns and the current Asterian situation (names of current governing body members have been replaced with their Initial, to preserve anonymity).

H - I’m very concerned about the whole route this Holy State is going down. They seem a little extremist for my liking.

S - I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Every now and then we get a new wave of religious fervour. Do you remember when the Janisi first appeared?

H - How could I? I’m only 100 years old S——, I’ve not done the rebirth thing yet. Not actually sure I would if they did offer it to me.

S - Of course, but they will offer it to you. After all, you’re the youngest member of the governing body, and if GM or President opens up, you’d have my vote. Careca is over 200 now. We need to put our best candidates to the fore and you’re certainly one of them.

H - You know I have no interest being president. I just want to do something my parents would be proud of, and I'm already doing that

S - You have no idea how proud they are…. and the fact you don’t want it just means you know you’re not ready yet, but you still have so much potential to achieve, even if you don’t make president, so you’ll definitely get the rebirth offer, just clock in another couple of decades and it all comes as a standard part of your retirement package.

H - But what would I do? I mean, I know after rebirth, I could never serve on the governing body again.

S - I was speaking with T—— the other day, about Uriel ap Idris. I don’t suppose it’s much of a secret that he went to South America, but do you know what he’s been up to since he died?

H - I do know he had a big hand in Careca, becoming our first Terran born President, so I imagine he’s still placed somewhere in the Corporation.

S - His word still carries weight, but he’s not a part of the Corporation. He never did come back to us.

H - So what’s he doing?

S - Whatever he wanted to. In his case, he moved to the Free City and Founded MBS.

H - Manaus Business School?

S - Manaus was an exciting opportunity to play a big part in the future of South America. The Brazilian civil war happened during his tenure and he felt that the place his second life could best be served was in service to the people of that continent, so that’s where he went.

H - Founded a business school. That actually makes sense given what I’ve heard about him.

S - Then there’s Anumah Sacian, who did the same thing when she became the first president re-birthed. She went to South America and raised the family she’d sacrificed having first time around.

H - I never knew that.

S - Sophia Ellison entered the Craft and become a Teller, touring Mars and building Stadia. The point is, you’re not beholden to the Corporation, and while we’d love to know we’ve got you tied down for the rest of this life, you’re not obliged to serve us in your next, unless you want to, But you are right, you wouldn’t be able to serve on the governing body again.

H - Anyway, what were you were saying about when the Janisi’s first appeared?

S - Oh that, yes, they were demanding the extradition of former criminals, like some of your ancestors on your father side, you know, the Baunari ones.

H - Yeah, my paternal great, great granddad was a Ross and he told me about this. didn’t they used to be criminal underworld figures?

S - One of the largest families as I remember, but when Baunari culture came to Mars, what used to be their black market was given a pass by our own laws as long as they were properly regulated, and so the third wave of migration was the crime syndicates, as they moved gambling, prostitution and narcotics interests into the PCG and legitimised themselves.

H - That was one of the big contributors to the financial collapse they went through a century or so later, wasn't it?

S - Precisely. Then the faith comes along and declares the sins of the fathers should be paid by their offspring, many generations removed. All very fire-and-brimstone at the start.

H - So what happened?

S - We told them no. However, we did concede that if they could provide evidence of current criminal actions or behaviours that satisfied our own standards for prosecution, then we would prosecute them under own legal system and carry out their sentences here.

H - So how many were sentenced?

S - Only a dozen or so, but mostly only because they were willing to throw themselves on our mercy rather than those of the fundamentalists. They knew there was no death penalty with us, whereas it was a near certainty if we’d have extradited them.

H - I couldn’t imagine the current Janisi on Mars ever calling for executions.

S - Of course not. They’ve evolved, but movements like those in Asteria right now, they are born of the same fire, and like fire they seek to purify in a dangerous and often destructive way. Given a little time, that fire will die down and we’ll see some moderation in their thinking.

H - I hope so. It’s one of the reasons I’m glad I was never raised with religion, just the Craft. I’ve never had to abandon my principles for something so blind as faith.

Great post, but quick correction: Unsavory industries like prostitution and narcotics were legal in Old Baunair, it's just that the organizations selling insanely deadly drugs or allowing downright criminal things to happen in their establishments were criminalized. Those were the ones who the PCG opened up to creating the violent black market that Baunairi businessmen and politicians fed into to prop up their rule.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby jonisilk » 04 Jul 2019, 22:57

It's a valid point. I suppose it one for future generations of academics, historians and philosophers to argue over.

From our point-of-view, the current socio-historical understanding is naturally skewed in a way that favours us, so we wouldn't mention the illegal activities they continued to perform outside of the Corporation, only that their activities conformed to our rules and regulations while they operated, and eventually settled, here.

It's kinda become something of a cultural truism that that's the way it happened.

Also, yes, President Careca will be on the way out soon. Kinda forgot how old he is, and we need a fresh face at the helm.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby RedSun » 05 Jul 2019, 15:06

Declaration #31
June 2nd, 4840

The demolition of historical sites dating before 4835 shall commence across Asteria with exceptions to only those of importance to the creation of the Holy State or influence of either sect of Janisism.
In their place the construction of temples to Kakumei-teki Janisism shall commence.

The declaration has lead to the destruction of many places of worship for the other religious communities. Buddhists making up 33% of Asteria’s population are especially furious at this. Massive riots calling it cultural and religious genocide have arisen in cities. Unlike the previous protests these did turn deadly. In Nirvan, Zava, Ra’al and Shanghai the riots were particularly deadly. Attacks of Janisist temples and government buildings took place leading to police being reinforced by the national military who fired upon the civilian population. The civilians being armed lead to deadly street fighting and religious warfare for several days. In the end the official government report on casualties estimated civilian casualties to be 453 and government deaths to be 112 although those numbers have been accused by opposing religious figures as having been doctored.
When the protests ended increased security in cities was declared and declaration #32 was passed.

Declaration #32
June 11th, 4840

Security in all cities shall be increased.
Manned security around government and religious institutions shall be instituted.
Camera feed with facial and body recognition technology shall be put in place in all city corners.
All members of the public will be given a National Identity Card. The Card shall hold information including National Credit, criminal offenses, age, family, faith along with a number of other factors. In order to use transportation via plane, hyperloop or any serviced method certain criteria must be met.
Anyone who is identified at the June Protests will be mentions on their National Identity Card.
National Identity Card System to be rolled out in 5 years.
Groups:
RedSun

Postby beadsman » 05 Jul 2019, 19:03

IC: Wow! Finally, some serious progress! This newest declaration from Asteria gives me hope for their nation. While I may disagree with many of their other policies, this latest declaration is indeed a breakthrough to be emulated.

I may actually copy it...

beadsman

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country