General Domestic Issues

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: Zander, chrisman39, mat.gopack

Re: General Domestic Issues

Postby mat.gopack » 21 Aug 2018, 20:09

kingpie3 wrote:
mat.gopack wrote:I think a slight change would make it sound more French (a bit late obv). Like "Bonair" or "Baunier" both sound vaguely french-like, where "Baunair" doesn't. Doesn't help that the adjective (Baunairi) takes it in a different direction too - Baunairien or Baunairois would also make it 'fit' more french like.

How does "Baujantecois" sound for describing the people? I was thinking of just leaving it Baujantec, but the extra "-ois" sounds French-like to me. And for future reference, people can refer to the actual country as "the Consortium" or "the Entinates".

The -ois is used for some nationalities in French (eg - Chinese = Chinois). For Baujantec-, I think -que would also work (eg - Britannique), or -ain (eg - Americains).
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jonisilk » 21 Aug 2018, 22:00

How about Le Baun, or Le Baunair?

Sounds plenty French to me, and it keeps it simple :)

(Actually, I might just use that anyway, as our own pet-name for you guys)
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby kingpie3 » 21 Aug 2018, 23:34

mat.gopack wrote:
kingpie3 wrote:
mat.gopack wrote:I think a slight change would make it sound more French (a bit late obv). Like "Bonair" or "Baunier" both sound vaguely french-like, where "Baunair" doesn't. Doesn't help that the adjective (Baunairi) takes it in a different direction too - Baunairien or Baunairois would also make it 'fit' more french like.

How does "Baujantecois" sound for describing the people? I was thinking of just leaving it Baujantec, but the extra "-ois" sounds French-like to me. And for future reference, people can refer to the actual country as "the Consortium" or "the Entinates".

The -ois is used for some nationalities in French (eg - Chinese = Chinois). For Baujantec-, I think -que would also work (eg - Britannique), or -ain (eg - Americains).

Of the 3 options I like "Baujanteque" the best, but I'm open to being called any French-sounding denomyn.

jonisilk wrote:How about Le Baun, or Le Baunair?

Sounds plenty French to me, and it keeps it simple :)

(Actually, I might just use that anyway, as our own pet-name for you guys)

Our new government has a bone to pick with the PCG, actually so calling them by a cursed name could make things interesting :twisted:
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby kingpie3 » 22 Aug 2018, 17:47

The Exalted Steps continue, this time with adjustments to urbanism in the Consortium's Entinates. There are currently 9 ultracities (cities of 100m+) in the nation, comprising nearly half of the 19 total on Mars. This is the cause of unholy dissonance because some of these cities do not correlate with the Circuits of Luminescence, as all things in a true Janisist nation should. Even among the cities that should continue standing, they have been defiled by years of tasteless, gold-ridden construction. It is an offense of the highest order for a land as holy as this to not have devoted centers for each of the primary principles of the faith. More so, the land itself must become inhabited in order to spread divinity across Central Mars and perform holy acts that cannot be done within the winding streets of a city.

So, the Adored One in conjunction with the Synod and Board of Directors has decided that 2 cities will be depopulated and have their populations dispersed. Over the course of the next few years, the cities of Oorvale and Kahloe Town will be deconstructed as citizens are given the means to move out into surrounding territories and make homes elsewhere.

Oorvale is historic, as the longtime capital of Old Baunair. It was once the greatest city on Mars, so though large parts of it will be destroyed, its world-class vistas, gardens, and airship factories will be maintained, among other parts. Kahloe Town was a dying city to begin with, as it had experienced decades of unnecessary development to take advantage of growing trade in the Hellas Planitia. As trade on that front normalizes, keeping 100 million people there is an economic detriment. Though parts of the city will be decommissioned, there are plans to also reclassify city limits to get the population down to roughly 30 million. For example, citizens who live in the coastal sections that expanded underwater into the Planitia itself will no longer be considered residents of Kahloe.

The city of New Janisabad, Costa Martis will become the capital and official seat of the Jan'isi. He will be accompanied by his advisers of the Luminaire Clans, each representing the Guilds outlined in the Divine Spheres of Progress, as per the Consortium's charter. The Synod will be located a couple minutes out in the walled city of Monteshorre, which was once the site of the first Theocracy's capital. Each of the Cult's "rings" will get their own small section of the city to manipulate as the please. Priests, Speakers, and more will get the opportunity to shape their administrative centers so that it may embody the principles of their occupation.

The city at large will be taking great pains to preserve its classical architecture pre-Celestial Trek, when the Old Baunairi arrived on Mars after secession. The origins of these buildings often goes back over a millennia, so effort is being made to preserve them and reinterpret them for a renaissance in Neo-Janisist construction. It will be characterized by a notable lack of traditional Baunairi glamour, but have a penchant for employing insanely intricate glyphs and writings on walls and spires. The city itself will be "rewritten", with many new buildings being used to tell traditional Janisist tales and describe heroes of the faith. Temples and centers of holy knowledge within the city limits will also be allowed to grow unencumbered by previous limitations. New technologies like hard light and crystalline constructs will also be integrated into new buildings and squares. While the city will still be known as "New Janisabad", it's name to locals and outsiders will be "The Luminescent", since it is the center of the 6 Circuits that are the core of Janisism.

(OOC: I'm gonna do a little mini-series on each of the six remaining cities and New Janisabad, so details are sparse right now. This post was written a while ago, so everything that follows will take time.)

The remaining 6 cities are known as " the Seraphic Domains", with each being beholden to represent the 6 Circuits. By holy law, the Adored One declares:

The industrial city Orindore, of the Yurameht Entinate will embody Ruin
The organic city Rosealba's Garden, of the Lesta Entinate will embody Cultivation
The working city White, of the Korhal Entinate will embody Productivity*
The travelling city Orlaith, of the Rellakh Entinate will embody Faith
The beautiful city Mari-Morgannes, of the French Entinate will embody Indulgence
The loving city Trevnoi, of the Ira-Planus Entinate will embody Munificence

These ultracities will collectively hold 751 million Baujantec souls and be the engine of the Consortium's economy. They will receive specialized funds to make renovations to transport and amenities so that they can redo some of their historic construction. The unholy fixtures of gold and diamond in public squares has been deemed a great fiscal expense by the Board, who has commissioned that they be stripped from roughly 60% of spaces so that they can be reused elsewhere for economic development.

Young creatives and dancers are receiving vast quantities of money to invest in their craft and publicize their efforts. Lady Meruiam of the Zwecklin Clan, who represents the Artists Guild will be opening a new Janisist dance academy in the city of Nauthet. It will specialize in the usage of fluid light constructs and dust to perform complex routines for international audiences. It will take several years to get up and running, but the Luminaire Clan has promised it will uphold its responsibilities as leader of its Guild.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Postby beadsman » 22 Aug 2018, 21:53

HFPE: I'm adding 1 BMCU Field Commander and 100 automated kamikaze Terrasubs fitted with the nukes I already have to my current production project. Should be a piece of cake for the system, as it wasn't quite at max capability.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Standard rating: 1590
All-game rating: 1601

Postby beadsman » 22 Aug 2018, 22:29

The Imperial Senate recently passed a major bill regarding the election process.

Under the new law, to become a candidate for office, all a person needs is 5,000 signatures from Cyonian citizens. The election will be a 2-round system, with a total spending limit (across both rounds) of 30 million CC. This is to encourage wise budgeting and strategic ability.

In order to make the process a more fair one, all donations must be made electronically or by direct bank transfer (to avoid underhanded/secretive bribery). Candidates who receive at least 5% of the popular vote during the first round will receive 50% reimbursement of funds spent during the campaign process that was spent on spreading publicity (rallies, putting up/printing posters, TV time, etc.) Those who don't make the 5% margin will recieve only a 5% reimbursement for the same expenses.

Television and media services will be carefully monitored. Large-scale advertising campaigns are prohibited, and a temporary committee will be established each ejection season to ensure equal coverage is allowed each candidate.

Normal government upkeep funds will be allocated yearly to a reserve fund that will be used for reimbursement each election season.

EDIT: To become a candidate for office, you no longer need signatures from 500 elected officials, but from 5,000 citizens.
Last edited by beadsman on 22 Aug 2018, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

beadsman

Postby mat.gopack » 22 Aug 2018, 22:46

beadsman wrote:The Imperial Senate recently passed a major bill regarding the election process.

Under the new law, to become a candidate for office, all a person needs is 500 signatures from democraticly elected officials (no signatures from members of the House of Lords, for example). The election will be a 2-round system, with a total spending limit (across both rounds) of 30 million CC. This is to encourage wise budgeting and strategic ability.

In order to make the process a more fair one, all donations must be made electronically or by direct bank transfer (to avoid underhanded/secretive bribery). Candidates who receive at least 5% of the popular vote during the first round will receive 50% reimbursement of funds spent during the campaign process that was spent on spreading publicity (rallies, putting up/printing posters, TV time, etc.) Those who don't make the 5% margin will recieve only a 5% reimbursement for the same expenses.

Television and media services will be carefully monitored. Large-scale advertising campaigns are prohibited, and a temporary committee will be established each ejection season to ensure equal coverage is allowed each candidate.

Normal government upkeep funds will be allocated yearly to a reserve fund that will be used for reimbursement each election season.

Wait... To become a candidate for any office, you need to be nominated by someone who's already in office? And not just 1, but 500 of them?

That seems weird. Like, at what level do your democratically elected officials start? How many are there in the whole country? Your mainstream is also permanently locked to whatever parties you have right now, because new parties wouldn't ever have anyone elected due to all current elected officials not having any incentive to sponsoring them. It'd turn into a small little corrupt clique, even with your anti-corruption laws.

You need a way to get on the ballot with just citizen signatures IMO. Or just put it open to everyone, like a *real* democracy does. #UMC

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Postby beadsman » 22 Aug 2018, 23:10

That was actually copied directly from the current French system.

EDIT: You were right about it being a bit weird, though, so I modified it to need 5,000 signatures from regular citizens instead.

beadsman

Postby mat.gopack » 22 Aug 2018, 23:17

beadsman wrote:That was actually copied directly from the current French system.

That is for presidential elections only though? I'm pretty sure that for legislative (ie your Senate equivalent) you just have to be a voter

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Postby musashisamurai » 24 Aug 2018, 05:19

Much news to report and some descriptions from my military and upcoming updates to add

First, I have been promoted by order of the Reykjavik Council from Fleet Admiral to Grand Marshall of the Confederacy, overseeing the Navy, Armada, Army and Air Forces as commander-in-chief. This is to better coordinate Mobius' rather large and extensive military, which spans several continents and millions of manpower. Zander, as Prime Minister, will remain Lord of Shields and Orbitals. He also remains head of state, and largely controls our diplomatic strategy. Internally, countries will keep their militia forces but I hope to increase standardization across countries to make synchronization easier.

In the upcoming days and weeks, as my work-school life allow and judging this rather extensive war, I also will be making some changes to the military pages of the Imperial Census. A few pages will be added to better summarize the information on them. A full listing of all unit types will be added, alongside country of origin, features, weapons, defenses, cost, and a "tier" of its quality.

The overall strategies of Mobius will not differ much, although the goal is to allow Mobius to leverage its full economy and resources in future conflicts. Militia units will be used en masse to supplement smaller amount of highly trained, high quality professional soldiers. New orders will be published for Army divisions, modeled after Marine Legions; over-supplied with armor and artillery, on the cavalry-infantry ratio, but made up in wartime with militia recruits.

------------------------------------------------------------
Back in Pacifica, we have a royal marriage to celebrate! And not just one, but two! Queen Liliokalani's son and heir Crown Prince George II has married Olivia Justinius Alba, a princess from the Cyon Imperium, and vice versa. Diplomats on both sides are praising the move to closer relations with a fellow monarchy, one of the longest-lasting dynasties currently on Earth. In case I didn't post it earlier, my Queen married a member of House Irwin, a Great House whose princes rule over all of Australia from their stronghold, the Ark*. Meanwhile Princess Miranda has married the Imperator' heir.

*Ark, from Noah's Ark. House Irwin is strictly in the Rasmian faction, the party Lili's father founded to combat her uncle's more militant and devious party, teh Vellians. House Irwin holds environmentalism particularly in high esteem, and their family estate of Ark includes vast tracts of land housing rare and endangered species from all over the system. Dozens of biomes are simulated here. In addition, they've made and operated zoos all over the world and Australia has probably the most national parks and reserved land of any territory, on top of House Irwin funding space terraria by the score.
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country