General Domestic Issues

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: Zander, chrisman39, mat.gopack

Re: General Domestic Issues

Postby beadsman » 27 Jul 2018, 19:23

Okay, to be fair, the original Xerxes Initiative was more like the RL Homesteading Act, but the intent was to alleviate problems like poverty and stuff.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Subotai45 » 28 Jul 2018, 20:07

Liftoff!

The Gold Fleet, with additional detachments, including several logistic flotillas, has exited its holding pattern in Venusian orbit after the last members of the Sixth Field Army were loaded onto the spacecraft. The fleet begins to move away from the sun, into the outer reaches of the solar system.

---

Marvin Memorial Middle School, Callisto, moon of Jupiter

"Long-ago, the Sybus Corporation established a colony on Callisto, that would act as a rallying point for the Corporation's forces in the asteroid belt, and as a market and supply depot for the Corporation's and foreign companies' wares," said the Callistan teacher to her class. "But over time, we grew larger and larger - from a small beginning, we became large! There are more Callistans than any other people in the world, save perhaps the Neo-Vikings! And we became rich too, and powerful, so when disorder gripped the home corporation and drove it under, we remained as a strong, independent entity."

"Despite our isolation from the outside world, we know that we remain the most powerful state in existence. Our arms, tried and tested for over a thousand years, are surely able to defeat any other nation one-on-one, and there are far more of us than there could possibly be of any foe. Every time a 'scientific' vessel has tried to come, we have defeated off-worlder treachery, and destroyed their spy craft. We are crafty, strong, and many - you, my children, have nothing at all to far," she reassures. "But should the foreigners ever make another attempt to come to Callisto and destroy the prosperous isolation we have worked so hard to create, we all must take up arms to defend the Sybus Corporation."

---

The Venusian fleet sends out a vessel to negotiate with the rulers of the planet. The vessel carries a representative of the Subus Corporation, a Sybus-VTEA venture, and a loyal subject of the Imperial Crown, whose corporate mentality, hope the diplomats, will let him work more smoothly than these descendents of the original Sybus Corporation, the most companylike of all nations. This hope is dashed as the Callistans launch several missiles at the vessel. Hopelessly outteched, the antiques are (with great reluctance from the AI known as Benjamin the Amateur Historian) smashed relatively easily. The diplomatic vessel is withdrawn and the fleet is given free reign and full control of the operation.

The Callistan confidence damaged by the casual display of Venusian might, they nevertheless take up arms to defend their home and deploy their full stock of fighters and other spacecraft. These numbers are unknown to the Venusians - Callistan isolation has made it impossible to grow any SSC cells in the country-corporation, and Subus Corp/VTEA have been unable to establish their own more commercial capacities. However, there are few forces in the galaxy that can stand up to nearly a third of the Venusian Armada, and the Benjamins (all Venusian AI are named Benjamin) are cautiously optimistic, a rare phenomenon from the notorious worriers.

Sixteen fighters fly up from Callisto. Thinking that this must be a trick, the Venusian ships look around for the true force that must be coming while the fighters were sent to distract the invader. However, they don't notice any stealthy battleships sneaking about, so the several thousand Venusian fighters just destroy the Callistan fighters from beyond range. Another message is directed at the Callistans to surrender now that clear superiority has been established, but the Callistans - who give even the nationalist Venusians a run for their money when it comes to xenophobia - send back a profanity-laden refusal and forty more fighters they managed to mobilize from underground hangers littered across the planet. These, too, are easily shot down. Venus asks for surrender. Again, it is denied. The landing, unfortunately, is now necessary.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby kingpie3 » 28 Jul 2018, 23:11

In light of the recent militarization on Mars, Baunair opts to do nothing. The ongoing revolution would make it an administrative and economic nightmare to mobilize forces in preparation for what seems like an unlikely war on Mars. Though Premier Tammertert politely calls for calm.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby beadsman » 28 Jul 2018, 23:45

In light of Venusian operations on Callisto, the Imperium has lowered the level of alert of the current legions on Mars. They are still on alert, but full mobilization is no longer necessary. They will begin garrison duty, constructing defenses and simply fortifying everything, just in case. I can be pretty paranoid sometimes.

While I am certainly glad the Venusians are not attacking us or our other allies, I have mixed feelings for their actions on Callisto. On the one hand, I didn't even know there were doods there. They also seem like a pretty awful nation-state, so I'm not overly emotional about the fact that they are Venus' target. To be honest, Venus probably couldn't have picked a better target, all things considered.

That said, I'm also not entirely thrilled by Venus' new, aggressive, politics. If they were going to invade anyone, they picked someone generally disliked (at least according to my understanding), but I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that they are invading anyone at all. I mean, given recent events, it's probably the least of the Solar System's problems right now, but it's still unnerving.

The Imperium has issued an official statement politely requesting the Venusians stop being super aggressive to other nations, pretty please, so this doesn't escalate like has happened countless times in South America. Cyon also officially requests of the international community that we all stop fighting and get along.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

beadsman

Postby Subotai45 » 28 Jul 2018, 23:56

(OOC: Callisto was an outpost of Sybus, under AHarlequin when he was known as cactusman. He released it after a period of inactivity - saying it lost contact entirely - and spun it off as an SP-tech NPC for people to fight like I am now. This was about eight years ago, so what was once a truly massive population with kind overpowered tech is now a high NP at best. I don't have all the information I'd love to include in the arc, but they're apparently quite xenophobic according to last record and destroyed a scouting vessel sent to reestablish contact. With the collapse of Sybus, they're almost like a time capsule to the old Sybus, and I want to explore that corporate idea a little.)

IC: We're not aggressive, you're aggressive. Y'all keep intervening all over the world, carvin' up protectorates 'n stuff. We have a single teensy invasion and suddenly we're the bad guys. This is the Terran hypocrisy and anti-Venus bias we've always railed against, so we aren't surprised by the reaction to our completely reasonable desires for glory and conquest, we're just disappointed that it has overcome such an old and strong ally, monarchist to boot.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby beadsman » 29 Jul 2018, 00:27

Subotai45 wrote:(OOC: Callisto was an outpost of Sybus, under AHarlequin when he was known as cactusman. He released it after a period of inactivity - saying it lost contact entirely - and spun it off as an SP-tech NPC for people to fight like I am now. This was about eight years ago, so what was once a truly massive population with kind overpowered tech is now a high NP at best. I don't have all the information I'd love to include in the arc, but they're apparently quite xenophobic according to last record and destroyed a scouting vessel sent to reestablish contact. With the collapse of Sybus, they're almost like a time capsule to the old Sybus, and I want to explore that corporate idea a little.)

IC: We're not aggressive, you're aggressive. Y'all keep intervening all over the world, carvin' up protectorates 'n stuff. We have a single teensy invasion and suddenly we're the bad guys. This is the Terran hypocrisy and anti-Venus bias we've always railed against, so we aren't surprised by the reaction to our completely reasonable desires for glory and conquest, we're just disappointed that it has overcome such an old and strong ally, monarchist to boot.

OOC: I actually totally get it, and think it's a fun idea.
IC: What? The only protectorate we have established was the Empire of Brazil. They were our allies for a long, long, time, and we stepped in to intervene in a conflict that was at our very doors. We did it out of a desire to protect ourselves, and in the process, we attempted to stick up for and protect our age-old ally.

As for our involvement in Centralia-Turkmenistan, it was limited, and we did not in any way establish any sort of protectorate. We have new allies in the region, true, but they are in every way independent. Aside from our ambassador, we have no assets or further influence in the region. I do not know if Asteria has attempted to establish them as a protectorate, but that has nothing to do with Cyon.

We are also *not* monarchist any longer. We threw off those chains. It was bloody, yes, but it makes our people free from our age-old "traditional" bondage. Now, as I have stated time and time again, we uphold and support whatever governmental system any given local population chooses. We supported the Reformists because the local middle-class population wanted it, and it would be a strong enough government to stop the opposition, in this case, communists, from forcing a system of government upon them. Should the Reformists have attempted to force their system of government on the communists, we would have defended their rights to choose their own governmental system.

So, yeah. You could maybe make that argument against someone else, but it's a little harder with us.

beadsman

Postby musashisamurai » 30 Jul 2018, 03:36

One downside of noble primogeniture is you end up with an increasing amount of nobility...do you split the fiefs each owns, diluting their power or do you demote 2nd and 3rd children who don't inherit the full estates? Faced with this problem, many lesser nobles' children are taking part in the so-called Diaspora, with royal backing. In fact, almost every member of House Shah within Pacifica except for the Burman branch has taken part. These nobles have taken over fiefs on other planets, asteroids, and terrariums (Mobian spaceships, explained in another post. Look up my most recent space stuff). Efforts are underway on Mercury, on moons all over Sol, and on interstellar planetoids all over the universe. These nobles swear *loyalty* to the crown but are functionally independent of any authority, running self-autonomous city-states in deep space. They pay no taxes to Pacifica nor provide any military backing, nor are even a sovereign part of the kingdom. Hundreds if not thousands have taken part, constructing terrariums even within the asteroid belts of other systems looking for freedom and a name for themselves.

OOC:
Trying to add more NPCs to the game without taking up map space. In addition for those who want to go monarchist and want to avoid incest or being siloed into a marriage with the half a dozen other noble families out there, there are now hundreds or thousands of independent princes and princesses and dukes and duchesses floating around space on feudal manors and estates.
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

Postby beadsman » 30 Jul 2018, 04:54

The Terminators have successfully been integrated into the new, reformed, CIPD. To copy the post from my main page in case you want to see the details, here it is (from the Cyon Civil Department post):

Cyon Imperial Police Department (CIPD)
2,700 Iliad-class Terminator police officers armed with Stingray stun guns and, as necessary, riot shields, keys (mini battering rams for breaking down doors), and restraining cuffs
500,000 MATT gunships (for a transport and support role)
300,000 Iliad-class Terminator ERC officers armed with Eliminator rifles, Westar Infernos, Stingray stun guns, riot shields, and restraining cuffs

beadsman

Postby jonisilk » 30 Jul 2018, 11:35

Just to let people know, the PCG has still not elected a new president (Of our previous candidates, one withdrew for personal reasons, one was deemed not yet ready for the responsibility and the other, unfortunately, was found to be of a duplicitous nature and has since found work in the private sector).

At present, Iolo Halloran (Managing Director), has been fulfilling the role in a caretaker capacity since the Death of Uriel ap Idris (similar to how Ethan Sohl served as a caretaker for 15 years, between Jenna Langale and Anumah Sacian).

He might end up retrospectively entering the list of our presidents as he's been at the head of the table for two decades now, but his focus is on serving as MD/VP to the next President.

Filipe Valencia, CEO of PCG Terra, has for some time, been grooming his own successor, Juan-Antonio de Oliviara Filho, more commonly known to the public by his chosen name, Antonio Careca.

Careca has enjoyed a growing reputation in the Corporation and while he was originally considered a potential successor to CEO Valencia on Terra, there has been a growing support on Mars for his consideration as a potential presidential candidate.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Constantine072 » 30 Jul 2018, 19:55

Primary Pods in Foundation and Vietnam, alongside Philippines has been given activation orders and start up. Certain individuals will notice Networks been shifted to Combat Status as the Droid Armies are beginning to be mustered. And activated. Mobian Diplomats are being received receiving alongside Mattibean non-aggression letters.
SWG - RIP - Benjam Frail Radiant
(former fan) of GPG till Dungeon Siege 3 and Supreme Commander 2
ARM and UEF forever
Also known as Dragun101, and Schlitzaf on other forums
Constantine072

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country