Population and Demographics

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: Population and Demographics

Postby beadsman » 16 Aug 2018, 05:23

Using an annual growth rate of approximately 1.43614% since the Civil War 20 years ago (which is especially conservative considering I didn't account for any population increase in the time I was gone and only lost a few million during the Civil War the first place, I've calculated an increase in my population, which has now reached a nice 600,000,000 (600 million) citizens of the Imperium.

Those citizens are sitar out among our various provinces, with some of the most notable growth in Mibuze et Deltaeris, our Martian colony. Ascension remains our smallest province, followed by Las Malvinas.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Open Aresian Territory

Postby kingpie3 » 15 Oct 2018, 03:25

So me and DCB had a convo about the pop and demographics of the land that was opened in the new Mars map. With the Cold War (and just general hostility as of late), this region should be settled and described for future purposes, kinda like what Musashi just did judging some Terran NPCs. That way there's a full understanding for any judging actions/RPs involving the area.

Quick overview: The Aresia Empire is a Japanese-inspired nation in Eastern Mars, centered on the vast tropical coasts with a dry hinterland. It's roughly 1 billion citizens live in 9 "Great Cities", which DCB has described as "isolated micro-cultures". These hyperdense city-states are located along the coast and supported by the Founding Trees, semi-religious symbols in their culture that help maintain the equatorial climate. The hinterland came to be dominated by 3 broad social groups. For flavoring purposes and a sense of continuity I think it's easiest to say that these land and people became sovereign not long after the fall of Sybus...

Military/Research Divisions- Basically army guys that stayed in the interior and had a lot of freedom. He suggested these guys would form military governments.
Infrastructure Maintenance Staff- People who operated national/global scale infrastructure on behalf of the government, like ODPs, Transmartian Railroad Resupply, Space Fountains, etc. Because their livelihoods depend on Aresian energy production in order to do their jobs, he says these governments will probably be most similar to the old country and still be swayed by it.
Patallian Descendants- The nominally independent descendants of the Patallian governments working under Aresia. DCB said they'd end up taking on a more pastoralist/nomadic lifestyle, interacting with the countries around them.

Now I personally don't see much need to form 10 successor states in the opened territory. I think 4-5 based on these groupings work to show off the diversity of post-Aresia Mars and open up more opportunities for players interested in influencing in the region. That said, here are the rough country outlines I made, which we can hash out and improve on for fairness and making it canon.

Country Name: The Surata Dominion
First Land: Myurchev
Capital City: Suzumiya
Government Type: Imperial Autocracy
Starting Population (50 million or less): 15 million
Information on size of Military(max 10% of pop): 7% under normal circumstances, 10%+ during wartime
Some advantages your civ holds: Access to more modern Aresian military tech, strong government control over citizens, relatively industrialized
Some disadvantages your civ must deal with: Limited agricultural potential due to cold climate, disliked by other powers for its cultural chauvinism
Anything else: Founded by conservative generals praising an idealized version of Aresia as strong and militarily dominant. Believed the dormancy of their nation on the world stage and the subsequent dissolution of Sybus made Aresia weak. Consolidated the territory through small scale conquests under the banner of the current dictator, Ootori. By most standards citizens enjoy a relatively high standard of living, basing much of their wealth on heavy industry and rich mineral deposits in the southern mountains. Because the government has played a direct role in managing socio-economic affairs, people tend to support it wholeheartedly, in keeping with Aresian cultural norms of submitting to authority. It also helps that the dictator controls the media and has developed a significant cult of personality over the last few years. Has poor relations with its neighbors, but is generally left alone due to its military superiority.

Country name: The Etsuya Republic
First land: Kir
Capital City: Narita
Government type: Oligarchic Union
Starting Population (50 million or less): 10 million
Information on size of Military(max 10% of pop): 5% (largely composed of Patallian mercenaries/refugees from Surata)
Some advantages your civ holds: Controls key trade routes/depots, most advanced civilian technology
Some disadvantages your civ must deal with: Intense competition between rival city-states, tension between merchant houses and commoners
Anything else: Like the Surata Dominion, Etsuya was founded by army holdovers from southern Aresia. But where the former's inhabitants focused on continued military development, the latter capitalized off its economic resources, namely its control of key trade routes to the PCG. A coalition of various city-states ruled by semi-hereditary merchant houses, the Etsuya Republic takes elements of Aresian traditionalism and mixes it with a new outward-looking cultural mindset. Support for the government tends to be high, in large part due to Aresia docility and the positive economic outcomes being delivered by the ruling class. Still, commoners chafe at the lack of strong civil liberties and somewhat large disparities between rich and poor. Enjoys generally positive relations with its neighbors despite some of its cultural haughtiness. A key feature of domestic politics is the rivalry between the city-states of Etsuya, the country's namesake and most powerful entity, and Kosio, who's been vying for the dominant position.

Country name: The Royal Kurusu Company
First land: Northern Ekelost and northern Patallia
Capital City: Tamara
Government type: Monarchist Corporatocracy
Starting Population (50 million or less): 6 million
Information on size of Military(max 10% of pop): 2%
Some advantages your civ holds: Incredible economic/political stability,
Some disadvantages your civ must deal with: heavily reliant on connections to Aresia, culturally stagnant
Anything else: The corporation was a small subsidiary of Sybian-Aresia that came to control much of the nation's interior infrastructure. After the dissolution of the parent corporation, rather than becoming a public-private organization, the company negotiated it's sovereignty over the various megastructures it controlled. Controlled by the House of Asuka, a satellite family to the Nampor line, who rule Aresia proper. Takes most of its cultural and political cues from the homeland, with whom they have an incredibly close socio-economic relationship. The various structures controlled by the company are directly reliant on energy transmission from Aresia, meaning they maintain positive ties and generally good relations with its neighbors. Occasionally has come into conflict with Lestari nomads.

Country name: The Lestari Confederation
First land: Northern Patallia and Central Ekelost
Capital City: Yuudai
Government type: Clan-based Confederacy
Starting Population (50 million or less): 12 million
Information on size of Military(max 10% of pop): 7%
Some advantages your civ holds: war-ready population, agricultural exporter
Some disadvantages your civ must deal with: lacking in national identity, lower income population
Anything else: Patallians are ethnically distinct from Aresians (think Indonesian as opposed to Japanese), but have largely assimilated into the dominant culture despite living in semi-autonomous territory. After the dissolution of Sybus, many chose to form their own communities based on preexisting ethnic identities and the rougher lifestyle they'd be living. A largely sedentary people living on poor soil, a significant portion of the population are pastoralists and nomads in futuristic roaming communities, following artificial rains and nearby trade routes. Tensions tend to be high between different "clans", many of whose leaders trace their ancestry to old Aresian nobles. Some clans have become more warlike and antagonize populations within Lestari lands and outside them, causing much of the population to be trained in combat. Generally considered "inferior" by the Etsuya and Surata nations, who feel the Lestari have lost their way as Aresians. Enjoy poor relations with most seeing as isolated bands have at various times attacked its neighbors. Has a particularly bad relationship with the Damaris Clans, who are an ethnically distinct cultural grouping.

Country name: The Damaris Clans
First land: Southern Patallia and southern Ekelost
Capital City: Hoanita
Government type: Clan-based Confederacy
Starting Population (50 million or less): 7 million
Information on size of Military(max 10% of pop): 8%
Some advantages your civ holds: war-ready population and controls important trade routes
Some disadvantages your civ must deal with: lacking in national identity, disliked by most other groups
Anything else: Another group of Patallians, decidedly less influenced by Aresian culture. Have adopted a primarily nomadic lifestyle unburdened by the expectations of the dominant cultures, much to the chagrin of their neighbors. Are the principal owners of trade routes leading into the Baujantec Consortium, making the population surprisingly wealthy by regional standards. Ruled by collections of clan leaders, most of whom have no connection to Aresian nobility. Fiercely independent and more than willing to take from others in times of hardship, meaning they're disliked by most, even if they're important partners in other areas, such as commerce.

I think this is a fair set up overall. The countries are middle income, decadent, and wracked with internal factions that make for a unique region with all types of opportunities. Feel free to pick at the descriptions so we get something we can all mostly agree to. These a rough outlines so everything is open to discussion :)
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby beadsman » 20 Aug 2019, 23:15

I am very due for a population increase. I'm now declaring myself to be at 1.1 billion population. IG, the reason is the recent expansion into Iberia. OOC, that's not how the mechanics work, so it's really just the passage of time combined with my new living space.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

beadsman

Postby Subotai45 » 20 Aug 2019, 23:36

(OOC: The mechanics sort-of do work like that far as I know. Land annexation typically does result in pop expansion for players who haven't hit their population caps and occasionally does for those who have)
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby MinnesotanKaiser » 08 Sep 2019, 20:48

Did some recent calculations on my population and as of September 3rd I am now at about 610 million people in the WSUT. I'm calculating a growth of about 0.4% a year. With my current land, technological, and resource capabilities I'm setting my cap at about 1.1 to 1.3 billion people which I should hit until later this year. Any objections or comments?
"Living by faith includes the call to something greater than cowardly self preservation."
MinnesotanKaiser

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (945)
All-game rating: (947)
Timezone: GMT

Postby beadsman » 24 Mar 2020, 04:49

Ok, it's been IC 108 years since my last post (with 1.1 billion citizens), and by my calculations, that's plenty of reasonable time to reach the soft cap of 1.5 billion citizens, so I'm going to say that's my pop now.

beadsman

Previous

Return to Create Your Own Country