Population and Demographics

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Population and Demographics

Postby beadsman » 10 Sep 2015, 23:27

This is the thread where players post any population growth for their nation, as well as any relevant information to the population and demographics of their nation. This thread functions in much the same way as the Technologies and Projects thread, but for population growth. Remember, when in doubt, post in the General Domestic Issues thread.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Population and Demographics

Postby chrisman39 » 10 Sep 2015, 23:56

Thanks for putting this up! :)
chrisman39
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby beadsman » 09 Oct 2015, 17:51

It has been 10-15 years since I updated my population (my first round of conquests). By my calculations, it would actually be reasonable for me to have 1 billion population at this point, since my population was at about 80,000,000 before.

So, with this in mind, and assuming a 3%-5% growth rate (discussed briefly in the BoSS as a maximum growth rate for nations of my size), I have decided to change my population to 1 billion citizens. This is a perfect opportunity to use this thread, I think. Everyone is completely free to call BS on this, but I did try to be reasonable.

beadsman (Cyon Imperium)

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

beadsman

Postby jonisilk » 09 Oct 2015, 18:01

Actually, I think you've jumped the gun a bit.

I started with a population of 50 million and I'm not even at the half-a-billion mark just yet (and I estimate CSR at around 350-400 million).

If you turned up with a population of 50 million in 4120-ish, then I reckon your population (at a growth rate of 3% per year) should probably be at about 160-165 million now.

Even at 5% growth, you'd only be around double that (but that's equivalent to my last 150 years of growth in just 40 years, and a population boost like that would likely come with a few growing pains and challenges for your nation).
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby musashisamurai » 09 Oct 2015, 18:53

If you do the math with a five percent growth rate, your nation is a nation of babies, kids and teenagers with parents.

Your population increased more than 10 fold in how many years?

See this is the thing BOSS was trying to stop.

Not helping I guess.

Time for the anti-Purges retcon retcon
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

Postby beadsman » 09 Oct 2015, 19:05

Oh! I actually miscalculated. I meant 100 million. Not a billion. You're right, that would be crazy.

beadsman

Postby beadsman » 09 Oct 2015, 19:08

I used the 3% growth rate for my calculations. I guess I could make it 150 million, which would considerably help me, but by no means did I mean a billion. I got confused by the BoSS thread notion of 1 billion as the NP max and just jumped in logic there.

100-150 million, NOT 1 billion.

beadsman

Postby Bob.Durf » 09 Oct 2015, 23:35

musashisamurai wrote:
Time for the anti-Purges retcon retcon

Time to retcon the retcon because retcons are silly but then is it ok to retcon even if its to retcon a retcon?

Population and Demographics philosophy.
Cheater-Hunter (Fired on account of incompetence according to top secret reports)

There's a saying amongst the moderators: "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. If it's not worth doing, give it to Bob." Promotion prospects: Comical
Bob.Durf

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (969)

Postby beadsman » 09 Oct 2015, 23:43

Haha, lol.

Seriously though, I actually didn't mean 1 billion. That's ridiculous. I just accidentally counted the number of zeros wrong. Sorry!

Official OOC announcement: I am changing my population to 150 million citizens, as opposed to my previous erroneous statement. There is no possible way I could have 1 billion population by now. I'm really sorry for my accounting error and resulting pandemonium.

150 million. That's less than a 3% growth rate. I also don't wish to let my population get out of control.

beadsman

Postby Zander » 18 Oct 2015, 12:59

Over the past five years, nearly 20,000 new Nomads have come of age. The Nomadic people are known for their high birth rates in order to "cover" individuals lost to the cold, starvation, and nuclear mishaps. With access to Mobian healthcare, their numbers have skyrocketed, they will likely continue to do so.
Zander

Next

Return to Create Your Own Country