Federation of United Nations (F.U.N.)

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: Federation of United Nations (F.U.N.)

Postby beadsman » 26 Feb 2019, 21:16

Subotai45 wrote:
beadsman wrote:Second Chapter: Civil Prisoner Treatment

All prisoners and detainees must be kept in a clean, humane environment. They must be provided with adequate food, medical assistance, shelter, protection, and amenities. Digital prisons based on virtual reality and/or mind uploading technology are not exempt from these (in that case, entirely virtual) requirements to ensure a minimum level of comfort for prisoners. No prisoners may be treated differently in prison based on race, species/sub-species, religious belief, and/or sexual preference/orientation. All prisoners of war should be given the choice to return to their families and home nation once a conflict is ended and a treaty signed. Civilians can not be made prisoners of war without just cause as determined by the F.U.N. Summary execution of prisoners is not permitted unless the prisoner is an individual who was, prior to the execution, deemed by the F.U.N. as a War Criminal or they were sentenced to death prior to imprisonment according to the preexisting laws of the country of their citizenship.

I think I basically covered everything.

Do you agree to the addition?

I mean, in principle, yes? It depends on exactly what you mean by a treaty being signed, but I assume you mean a formalized and signed end to the conflict, which is exactly what I meant in the original proposition, so yes. I don't think it would make sense if, for some reason, you meant the two powers became friendly or signed an alliance or trade agreement of some kind, since that will rarely happen after a major conflict.

So, with the definition of a formalized, signed, end to conflict, then yes. That's actually what I was intending anyways, so cool.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Subotai45 » 26 Feb 2019, 23:28

I was clarifying that there should be a formal end to the conflict, not just that the pew-pew has stopped for a bit and no one's actually agreed to anything.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby jpstreetman » 27 Feb 2019, 00:37

Article 3
Right to Information
No government shall restrict the rights of their people to the whole truth of the world situation or the spread of Technical information among Academics, unless the spread of this information would cause immediate and urgent harm to the people. (This would include a ban on media censorship, and on restricting scientists from colaberating across international lines. This does not mean post your WMD launch codes and state secrets on social Media or beam military tech to your rivals.)
jpstreetman

Postby beadsman » 27 Feb 2019, 00:43

Subotai45 wrote:I was clarifying that there should be a formal end to the conflict, not just that the pew-pew has stopped for a bit and no one's actually agreed to anything.

Then yes, I completely agree. That's what I was imagining, anyway. I just wasn't as clear as I should have been, yes.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

beadsman

Postby beadsman » 27 Feb 2019, 00:44

jpstreetman wrote:Article 3
Right to Information
No government shall restrict the rights of their people to the whole truth of the world situation or the spread of Technical information among Academics, unless the spread of this information would cause immediate and urgent harm to the people. (This would include a ban on media censorship, and on restricting scientists from colaberating across international lines. This does not mean post your WMD launch codes and state secrets on social Media or beam military tech to your rivals.)

Not a bad idea, but it needs some more fleshing out/lawyer-like wording. I agree with the general concept.

FYI, I will probably break several of these after switching governments, but the current government is super in favor of the idea.

beadsman

Postby mat.gopack » 27 Feb 2019, 02:03

Right to Information

What does "immediate and urgent harm to the people" mean?
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Postby jpstreetman » 27 Feb 2019, 16:40

mat.gopack wrote:
Right to Information

What does "immediate and urgent harm to the people" mean?
it's a general loophole to allow countries to still have state secrets, I'll come back with it rewritten when I look up IRL freedom of information acts.
jpstreetman

Postby jpstreetman » 27 Feb 2019, 22:07

Right to Information

Amendments
The exceptions to which government documents are allowed to be withheld are these 8

classified information for national defense or foreign policy

internal personnel rules and regulations

trade secrets and confidential business information

inter-agency or intra-agency memoranda or letters that are protected by legal privileges

personnel and medical files

law enforcement records or information

information concerning bank supervision

geological and geophysical information

Governments shall make no law prohibiting the cooperation of the scientific community, and must make no law censoring media except that which is libelous and untrue and determined as such by a court of law.
jpstreetman

Postby Subotai45 » 28 Feb 2019, 13:51

We will not ratify article 3, due to the scientific provision
We will ratify article 2
We are witholding judgement on article 1 until concerns have been addressed
Subotai45

Postby Subotai45 » 28 Feb 2019, 15:01

Chapter 4, discussion;

What is “human”? Who are entitled to the rights of these documents?
Subotai45

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country