Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: CYOC- The BoSS

Postby beadsman » 20 Sep 2019, 21:56

Aye
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)

Postby mat.gopack » 20 Sep 2019, 23:36

Assuming the 5-0 is good enough to pass, I'd like to open up discussion on a new one (since we added NPCs to the main map).

Preliminary Type B Motion - Clarifying Defined NPCs

A defined NPC is one that has had its land, population, and status confirmed by a judge. Such NPCs will be listed on a dedicated thread, and appear as Grey on the world map.
Defined NPCs can be independent or player aligned. Player alignment can include membership in a common alliance (eg - the IWA), vassalization (eg - Myanmar), or some other permanent diplomatic relationships. A player aligned NPC will be designated on the map with a border of the color of one of the aligned players (eg - Myanamar being grey, but outlined in Mobius Green)
New players may start within independent NPCs without the need for verification. For a player aligned NPC, the player with which the NPC is aligned needs to give their acceptance. [Example: A new player wants to start in Turkey. Turkey is a defined NPC, but not aligned, so they can without asking anyone. New player 2 wants to start in Myanmar. Myanmar is aligned with Pacifica - thus Pacifica needs to give their approval].
If a defined NPC is having its land claimed, it will require a judged action.
Defined NPCs should have a date listed on the dedicated thread for the last time they were defined. If it has been over 6 months real time since the last revision of their stats, a judging involving them should require a look back at their government/population/statistics and revised as fits/desired. If it has been over 12 months, the NPC can be requested to be removed from the thread. Other players may contest and oppose this change.
When a judge revises the statistics for an NPC, they will post these revised figures in the dedicated NPC thread, and they will be tallied in the OP.

With the request to put NPC countries up on the main CYOC map, I figure we need some amount of structure to them, and to keep them organized. This proposal allows player aligned NPCs to exist for longer periods of time, while keeping all NPCs in one place - but naturally can get removed from the map if not interacted with after 1 year (or any amount of time we decide is appropriate) to prevent stagnation. It also defines for new players whether or not they can start there.

A possible addition would be to add something for PMOs controlling land - I think if they control land, we should indicate that (eg, Liberation's branch in Sicily and Arizona *do* control the land outright) - and using grey like NPCs would indicate that they're not a player country, with a link to the PMO post in the NPC thread keeping all non-player country entities with map presence on the same thread.

Thoughts? Revisions?
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Postby Subotai45 » 20 Sep 2019, 23:41

I don't think with our map, we can do the outlines in a way that doesn't look shitty. I'd be more in favor of using a lighter version of the main color (lighter green for Mobius eg) or stripes or something else. The Pallatian map is one I'm thinking of as being kind of ugly when we did it.

I think NPs should be able to start in NPC land even if it's a protectorate or something (and I have more protectorates than anyone).

I think that PMOs should be able to control land and remain under PMO rules, because they're also the only formal rule structure we have for multiple entities under one player.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby Terminus » 20 Sep 2019, 23:45

I think this was brought up before, in my time.

I like the idea on principle, but I'm worried that the map might end up looking too crowded. I think that was the main problem we had last time when we tried implementing this. Also, doesn't that limit what new players want to do with their new country? I.E., someone starts off in a defined NPC area judged to be a monarchic nation, but wants to build a republic. Or maybe a player wants to start off with more than just the borders of the defined NPC area.

Edit: Maybe it would be best to have a secondary version of the map just outlining NPC nations?
Hmmm... :|
-------------
I'm back
-------------
URMA in CYOC
Terminus

Postby mat.gopack » 21 Sep 2019, 01:52

As a note for the outline, here's how I picture it:

It's not *perfect*, but doesn't strike me as overly shitty TBH, but that might just be me.

For NPs, it's up to us to decide if we want them able to start wherever. I figure in protectorates it might be worth the check, even if we're generally fine with them starting there. Agreed on the PMO controlling land.

@Term: It's certainly possible - though hopefully it doesn't look too crowded right now (it should be up on the main post). IIRC last time we had those NPC countries as able to be taken over - in case I wasn't clear, I wasn't intending that to be a limit here. That is, if a player wanted to start out in, say, Turkey - and have it be a theocracy, completely different from the defined NPC, and also start with Greece/Bulgaria, this would in no way impede that (since it's an NPC that's not aligned).

I don't mind putting a secondary version of the maps up, the NPC stuff is on its own layer.

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Postby Terminus » 21 Sep 2019, 04:02

If we can go with a lighter grey, and use a secondary layer, I vote AYE
Hmmm... :|
-------------
I'm back
-------------
URMA in CYOC
Terminus

Postby mat.gopack » 21 Sep 2019, 04:07

All the non-map aspects look good then?

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Postby musashisamurai » 21 Sep 2019, 04:53

Subotai45 wrote:I think NPs should be able to start in NPC land even if it's a protectorate or something (and I have more protectorates than anyone).

Do you expect anyone to start on Venus? Also, weren't those Venusian protectorates annexed?

This seems reasonable to me.
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Subotai45 » 21 Sep 2019, 07:45

I don’t expect it because NPs have slowed to a trickle and Venus ain’t interesting. If you have an interest in European or American or whatever history, there’s a place on earth. Martians are a more common sci fi trope. Venus is not something that draws attention.

They weren’t annexed for lack of a judge for the referendum.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country