Technologies and Projects (CYOC)

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: Technologies and Projects (CYOC)

Postby Subotai45 » 17 Jun 2020, 05:51

Anticlimactic return of activity to be pedantic over tech, but also, appropriate.

I think that the phasing "out of reality" poses conceptual problems wrt teleportation and "unbeatableness." The phasing through objects is probably a balance issue (I'm thinking missiles going straight through a hull and ignoring all defenses as an example), and the only thing stopping it here is "time and funding" - meaningless concepts in CYOC on tech terms, and not a permanent block.

I think if you reflavored the pseudoscience to be like "space between molecules" it would less of a conceptual problem than "out of reality" but no matter the flavor, mechanically I still think this is OP. Depending on how judges treat it (in my view, it's absurdly overpowered if the dude can pop into reality for the instant to squeeze a trigger - it's functional invulnerability and complete invisibility 99% of the time, which is by the definition of the tech impossible to combat. It's not just stealth, it's also the most effective shield in the game because it takes the user out of reality and any method of harm, as I read it.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Technologies and Projects (CYOC)

Postby beadsman » 18 Jun 2020, 04:29

Subotai45 wrote:Anticlimactic return of activity to be pedantic over tech, but also, appropriate.

I think that the phasing "out of reality" poses conceptual problems wrt teleportation and "unbeatableness." The phasing through objects is probably a balance issue (I'm thinking missiles going straight through a hull and ignoring all defenses as an example), and the only thing stopping it here is "time and funding" - meaningless concepts in CYOC on tech terms, and not a permanent block.

I think if you reflavored the pseudoscience to be like "space between molecules" it would less of a conceptual problem than "out of reality" but no matter the flavor, mechanically I still think this is OP. Depending on how judges treat it (in my view, it's absurdly overpowered if the dude can pop into reality for the instant to squeeze a trigger - it's functional invulnerability and complete invisibility 99% of the time, which is by the definition of the tech impossible to combat. It's not just stealth, it's also the most effective shield in the game because it takes the user out of reality and any method of harm, as I read it.

The way I conceptualized it, it doesn't prevent them from being harmed, though I can see the confusion. Functionally, it's really only supposed to be a really good stealth suit with some drawbacks that the user can't fire or actually harm anyone while in stealth mode. I can easily see the confusion in assuming I meant they would be invulnerable, but that was not the intent. It's basically just stealth. I also don't particularly care what the pseudoscience is. Basically, I need a stealth suit upgrade, intended primarily for getting into areas unseen for infiltration and reconnaissance. Perhaps if I added a bit saying that there is a significant (say, 5 minute) cooldown to recharge once the user comes out of stealth mode?

Again, I'm really not trying to make it op. Quite the opposite, actually. I'm trying to make sure that I can have a stealth tech that is actually useful without being overpowered beyond belief. As it stands, I'm under the impression my stealth tech is pretty easy to detect. I just want to really properly fix that.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Create Your Own Country