Anything in Adobe Suite suited for Map Making?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Anything in Adobe Suite suited for Map Making?

Postby Blackfish » 14 Feb 2013, 12:08

How good is Adobe Fireworks for making a map? I am considering creating a Variant (not necessarily GMing it, just for fun really) and I have no idea where to start*. I have the entire Adobe Suite (CS5) but have no clue if any of them are good for something like this. I want to try avoiding downloading anything, unless there is no other option.

I only mentioned Fireworks up there because it is my favourite program, not for any real reason though.

* I already know HOW I am going to make it, just not with what.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: Anything in Adobe Suite suited for Map Making?

Postby Pedros » 14 Feb 2013, 13:10

Blackfish - I'm moving this to Suggestions (not because it doesn't belong in Map-Making but because it will get more viewers there, more chance of an answer.)
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 14 Feb 2013, 13:26

I don't know Fireworks Blackfish, but you obviously do. The key abilities you need to produce a map which you or anybody else can use to GM are:-

- use of layers including the ability to combine them all to a single layer when needed (GMs use different layers for the background map and the units, and usually for other things - I have at least one for units retreating and one for names of territories; others have some for different purposes.

- ability to reduce the map if necessary and to save the original format as something space-saving, usually GIF

- a good range of tools, including certainly moving things around, picking up colours and filling, and preferably drawing tools such as line and (simple) shape drawing, erasing, paint brush.

If Fireworks has those then it should be fine, and if you know it already then go for it!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Blackfish » 14 Feb 2013, 13:35

Pedros wrote:I don't know Fireworks Blackfish, but you obviously do. The key abilities you need to produce a map which you or anybody else can use to GM are:-

- use of layers including the ability to combine them all to a single layer when needed (GMs use different layers for the background map and the units, and usually for other things - I have at least one for units retreating and one for names of territories; others have some for different purposes.

- ability to reduce the map if necessary and to save the original format as something space-saving, usually GIF

- a good range of tools, including certainly moving things around, picking up colours and filling, and preferably drawing tools such as line and (simple) shape drawing, erasing, paint brush.

If Fireworks has those then it should be fine, and if you know it already then go for it!

Layers is the main reason I use Fireworks. I thought that it might have needed more features. That pretty much answers my question Pedros, thanks! :D
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Postby Petunia » 14 Feb 2013, 19:36

I know you said you don't want to download anything, but I never miss a chance to pimp paint dot net. Free download, functionality broadly similar to Photoshop but much more active open-source support. You can find tools for almost anything you want to do. When I've created wargaming maps I always use pdn.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Blackfish » 14 Feb 2013, 23:13

Yeah, I read a lot about paint.net in the forum and I looked it up. It seems pretty cool, though I have already paid for the whole Adobe Suite, so I was hoping that I wouldn't need anything else. I'll try with fireworks, though, if I have a miserable time, I'll download paint.net

Game History
Blackfish

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 14 Feb 2013, 23:16

I don't have Fireworks but I've seen it on school computers. It looks like a good tool for this.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 15 Feb 2013, 14:29

I'd say if software does the job you need and you already know your way around it, then stay with it. If, however, you don't have anything already, then I'd certainly recommend paint.net.

A lot of the Map-Making sub-Forum is general, covering things like layers and techniques, and will be useful whatever you're using.
Pedros

Return to Suggestions