AAR Layered

GM: asudevil. Result: Four-nation DIAS (Pedros, England; Presser84, Germany; Palin, Austria; Noosh 32, Italy)

Re: AAR Layered

Postby Pedros » 05 Mar 2012, 10:13

Yes. I think presser told it pretty much as I saw it. Only two things to add.

I still thought, going into the middle game, that I would have a good shot at a solo. I messed up something like four orders into Spain in two years, and that pretty much put paid to that.

And I'd fogotten presser's attempt to blackmail me with the kingmaker threat. It wouldn't have worked - I react very badly to anything like that, and I'd have acted (though not said) "Do your worst" (I've done so before) What stopped me going on with Austria was Italy moving a fleet into Tyrrhenian (or Ionian - can't remember), threatening the Tunis which I had just vacated. I knew that once I started losing the two Tunises I was on the way out, so I had to pull back and defend it. (In fact Italy was only repositioning himself for defence, as it turned out.)
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby presser84 » 05 Mar 2012, 10:38

One thing I didn't really talk about was how we put together a strategy that forced France to keep units on all his home centers so that he could never get a build after 1901. I was proud of that.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 05 Mar 2012, 11:08

Credit to you for that one presser!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby asudevil » 05 Mar 2012, 15:03

presser84 wrote:Thank you to all the players, even Palin who I've been a little harsh with here, and thank you Asudevil for being our GM. Was this really your first time because I couldn't tell?

Yeah, this one started first, but I ran this one and a Game of Thrones variant simultaneously...but yeah, they were my first.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby asudevil » 05 Mar 2012, 15:03

presser84 wrote:One thing I didn't really talk about was how we put together a strategy that forced France to keep units on all his home centers so that he could never get a build after 1901. I was proud of that.

That was funny. I felt bad for him about that.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby marsman57 » 08 Mar 2012, 17:56

Pedros wrote:And I'd fogotten presser's attempt to blackmail me with the kingmaker threat. It wouldn't have worked - I react very badly to anything like that, and I'd have acted (though not said) "Do your worst" (I've done so before)

I need to put that in my notes. I often use the kingmaker threat when facing a 2-on-1 alliance in the mid-game. :)
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)

Postby presser84 » 08 Mar 2012, 20:51

marsman57 wrote:
Pedros wrote:And I'd fogotten presser's attempt to blackmail me with the kingmaker threat. It wouldn't have worked - I react very badly to anything like that, and I'd have acted (though not said) "Do your worst" (I've done so before)

I need to put that in my notes. I often use the kingmaker threat when facing a 2-on-1 alliance in the mid-game. :)

Playing that card that early doesn't always work because many players fail to look beyond the current year.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby Pedros » 10 Mar 2012, 17:39

The last post which was really AAR was five days ago, so I'm archiving this one. But do keep adding to it if there's more to say!
Pedros

Postby shavemybaby » 19 Mar 2012, 00:08

presser84 wrote:Then Austria quit one me. This changed the game dramatically. I was not very happy with the replacement. No offense Palin but I have yet to play a game with you (I count 3 now) were I could rely on a response from you in a timely manner, if at all. When I did get a response it was brief and often vague. This may or may not be intentional but it makes working with you next to impossible and I doubt I am alone in this sentiment. So not only is the relationship I've built with the previous Austria now worthless but I have a huge wildcard replacing him. You all may not have realized it at the time but that was what changed this game and is partially why I did not solo.

sorry about that, I really liked this variant but things were getting pretty nuts for me in real life and after I NMRed I figured that the game would be worse off with me continuing in a spotty manner than just getting a replacement.
ice cube in a dark drink shines like starlight
starlight shines like glass shards in dark hair
and the mind's eye tumbles out along the steel track
fixing every shadow with its stare
night train
night train
shavemybaby

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1040)

Previous